+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bladedancer

Default Bladedancer

Tried searching for Bladedancer posts, but just haven't seen that many. So, I made my own. I played BD last beta and quite enjoyed it. Was wondering how many other BD's were out there. How did you fare in warfronts? Did you run any dungeons and how did that go? What are you planning for a soul set-up?

I ran my BD with NB and bard soul in the beta. I ended up not using the bard soul at all though, and focused mostly on BD with enough points in NB for the stealth. After messing around on the soul calculators on ZAM, i decided to go for BD/Sin/Riftstalker combo. BD is primary soul with the Sin buffing stats. I messed around with swapping NB for Sin, but the spike damage bonuses from Sin I think outweigh the constant damage bonus from NB. The riftstalker soul is used for its escape and teleporting skills so any runners can't get away. This is my planned final build.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...dhzoRRhz.VG0co

Please feel free to leave comments and suggestions.

Hi, I started BETA 5 with a blade dancer and until I started reading forum threads about rogue dps sucking I never thought I was sucking lol. I usually did quit well.

My first build was a BD/Rifstalker/NB(for range attack). But I found that the NB and BD attacks were too redundant and it is pointless really to have both of those. So Sin/BD/Riftstalker is probably better.

But you know what I was thinking. BD/Sin/Ranger(just 0 point) for the tank pet and range attack. I have yet to see anyone make a mellee rogue with a pet, I think it has serious potential.

As for warfronts, I was usually in the top 3.
    Last edited by xcipher; 02-13-2011 at 10:25 AM.

Shadowlander

Bladedancer is underated. Also, I hear it just got another buff. I think its a better tree than people think it is.

Plane Touched

BD is a solid solo melee rogue tree due to its higher defenses than NB/Assassin. The damage is at it's peak in solo as well because of their use of dodge/parry to fund reactive abilities and create temporary combat boosts.

In group PvE they lose some of those reactive abilities and replace them (at higher levels) with semi-long duration CDs for damage increases. From my experience they do some of the lowest damage out of all of the dps souls for rogues (only exceeding RS primary and bard primary souls) but get alot of interesting tools and CD's to use.

edit: As far as your build goes.... for PvE group dps I would probably drop RS and take Nightblade. A permanent 15% increase to combo builders and damagers will be better than the temporary 15% crit and passive 15% ap increase you get out of RS (and can only keep up 1/3 of the time). Maybe 10 in nightblade for those 2 abilities. 3 more in assassin could give you the self-heal weapon buff which could help for solo some as well and make it a slightly better all around build. Also, why no 31 pt ability in BD? Dancing steel does a TON of AoE and even single target damage.

edit2: Maybe something more like this. Just a quick build and i'm sure some things could be improved upon still.
    Last edited by gulain; 02-13-2011 at 12:12 PM.

Ive played a melee rogue w/ a pet. It sounds good in theory, and it works for sure, but it just doesnt feel right. For instance I ran Sin/Ranger/Brd specced for backstabbing x5 final blow. Things died quick, 0pt ranger pet tanked fine. But meh, it just felt silly. I preffered the sneak/paralyze/bs/bs/bs baneful touch > puncture/ss/ss/ss final blow combo. It honestly felt faster and "IMHO" looked and played better than having the pet tank in melee.

Ive tried BD with so many things but the pet really doesnt do it justice. BD are meant to dodge/parry no if ands or buts about it. BD/SIN/RS with self heal is where its at PVE if you like BD, but thats just my opinion and there are many out there.

The other thing about SIN vs BD, is the SIN can get rather repetative with the same effective rotations. Whereas the BD has reactive abilities and odd combo point builders that actually make you think which can be good or bad for some people. Thats a PVE point of view for me. PVP whole nother story.

Quote Originally Posted by gulain View Post
    BD is a solid solo melee rogue tree due to its higher defenses than NB/Assassin. The damage is at it's peak in solo as well because of their use of dodge/parry to fund reactive abilities and create temporary combat boosts.

In group PvE they lose some of those reactive abilities and replace them (at higher levels) with semi-long duration CDs for damage increases. From my experience they do some of the lowest damage out of all of the dps souls for rogues (only exceeding RS primary and bard primary souls) but get alot of interesting tools and CD's to use.

edit: As far as your build goes.... for PvE group dps I would probably drop RS and take Nightblade. A permanent 15% increase to combo builders and damagers will be better than the temporary 15% crit and passive 15% ap increase you get out of RS (and can only keep up 1/3 of the time). Maybe 10 in nightblade for those 2 abilities. 3 more in assassin could give you the self-heal weapon buff which could help for solo some as well and make it a slightly better all around build. Also, why no 31 pt ability in BD? Dancing steel does a TON of AoE and even single target damage.

edit2: Maybe something more like this. Just a quick build and i'm sure some things could be improved upon still.
    I thought I had the 31 point ability put in, but as I was messing around with build I must have forgot to put it back in. For PvE and dungeos I would most likely do as you suggested and drop RS for NB to up my DPS. In terms of warfronts I thought the Crit and mobility were more plausible.

I do indeed think they are underrated and I think if played right will serve well to take out healers and other melee types. All the dodge and parry will make it hard for them to touch me while I react and burn them down. I especially like to kill healers and I think with the silence and two stuns I should be able to accomplish that pretty quick. Wish I could somehow get the Champion ability the debuffs incoming heals on crits.

As for the ambidextrous, does anyone know what all dex increases? I assumed parry/dodge and maybe base damage for rogues, but can't find any hard data as to what affects. Might be something I just have to play around with and see what the differences are. Thanks for all the inputs so far though. Glad to hear others out there think Bladedancers are a good soul.

EDIT: Added leeching poison and dancing steel to build. http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...h0oRohzz.VG0co
    Last edited by Cashius; 02-13-2011 at 02:56 PM.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Cashius View Post
    I thought I had the 31 point ability put in, but as I was messing around with build I must have forgot to put it back in. For PvE and dungeos I would most likely do as you suggested and drop RS for NB to up my DPS. In terms of warfronts I thought the Crit and mobility were more plausible.

I do indeed think they are underrated and I think if played right will serve well to take out healers and other melee types. All the dodge and parry will make it hard for them to touch me while I react and burn them down. I especially like to kill healers and I think with the silence and two stuns I should be able to accomplish that pretty quick. Wish I could somehow get the Champion ability the debuffs incoming heals on crits.

As for the ambidextrous, does anyone know what all dex increases? I assumed parry/dodge and maybe base damage for rogues, but can't find any hard data as to what affects. Might be something I just have to play around with and see what the differences are. Thanks for all the inputs so far though. Glad to hear others out there think Bladedancers are a good soul.

EDIT: Added leeching poison and dancing steel to build. http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...h0oRohzz.VG0co
    Dex increases your dodge and counts for half of your attack power.
    Str increases your parry and counts for the other half of your attack power.

i really love my bd.. especially in a good group where i can focus on dps.. i can pair it with nb and go to town. For solo i pair it with riftstalker and bard for survivability and its just amazingly fun.

Bladedancer is my favorite soul.
    Looking at these two builds for lvl 50 endgame:
    Build until PvP rank 6: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...Rhdz.0AMct0boz
    Build once PvP rank 6: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...0V.xVdizsRRhdz
    Last edited by Umbria; 02-13-2011 at 05:39 PM.

Telaran

Good as main soul for solo PvE, decent as part of a tank soul, pretty good for a melee rogue in PvP especially since it will give you a few tricks to handle warriors.

Quote Originally Posted by Cashius View Post

Well, RS can be a great DPS support soul, but you need to take ~21 or so points (for fully maintainable Ruthless Stalker/Stalker Phase) for it to be worth it. The extra survivability and incoming healing probably wont hurt either in raids with all the AoEs that they tend to have. But NB is a better low point investment soul for DPS support.

Dex provides .5 AP, 1 physical crit rating, and 1 dodge rating per point of Dex for rogues (warriors have a different AP split .75/.25 favouring strength instead of .5/.5 like rogues).

-Aglethe
    Quote Originally Posted by Arturo Perez-Reverte
    "He no longer had the youth, the innocence, or the desire to go and fight at a place chosen by his opponents, three duels arranged in ten minutes, in the grounds of the Carmelite convent or wherever the hell it might be. When the time came to say hello, he'd make sure he approached Rochefort with everything in his favor, if possible from behind, with a steel bar in his hand... Corso would settle his debts calmly. Biding his time."

Quote Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
    Bladedancer is my favorite soul.
    Looking at these two builds for lvl 50 endgame:
    Build until PvP rank 6: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...Rhdz.0AMct0boz
    Build once PvP rank 6: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...0V.xVdizsRRhdz
    I like your build choices.

The only issue I have is choosing Sab instead of RS in your pre-rank 6 build. I personally find shadow shift to be incredibly helpful, esp. in PvP. I suppose it's situational, but it's a nice baseline talent to have. Also, 15% dex or 15% AP is really a toss-up at this point, and going with shift > bomb.

But on the whole, it may be more of a playstyle difference than anything. BD was the first soul I chose when I played my first beta, and I know it's one I'm going to be revisiting again and again.

I can't wait to mess with people's idea's on how to counter my character by having multiple role's ready to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by wraith228 View Post
    rogues ran around shootin lightning bolts out of their nuts and clerics had chainsaws for arms

<Hammered> PvE/PvP-Defiant, EST. Semi-Hardcore.
    is recruiting.

Ascendant

i will be trying the melee rogue with pet thing with blade dancer. Plenty of bleed damage with assassin and ranger to keep pet damage high. crit is through the roof i have the pet heal debuff with the greater wolf and the best things from blade dancer. I will be trying a scaled down version of this build on tuesday. http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...hsfu0oc0V.0V0c
    Last edited by jaym7018; 02-13-2011 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aglethe View Post
    Well, RS can be a great DPS support soul, but you need to take ~21 or so points (for fully maintainable Ruthless Stalker/Stalker Phase) for it to be worth it. The extra survivability and incoming healing probably wont hurt either in raids with all the AoEs that they tend to have. But NB is a better low point investment soul for DPS support.

Dex provides .5 AP, 1 physical crit rating, and 1 dodge rating per point of Dex for rogues (warriors have a different AP split .75/.25 favouring strength instead of .5/.5 like rogues).

-Aglethe
    Ruthless stalker is a nice looking skill to get, but I was mostly looking to use the Riftstalker tree for mobility. Having both shadow stalk and shadow shift will help me pop around the battle field and take targets of opportunity down. With the chaos of PvP, being able to quickly switch targets and deal out quick damage is vital. If my current target is getting focus healed from one or two healers, a quick teleport and silence on one of the healers before they can react should hopefully get me enough time to kill them. My basic idea behind the build was the bladedancer for most of my abilities. Assassin brings in the stealth and stealth opener, as well as upping crit, base damage, and the two poisons. Rift stalkers gives me the mobility. In any raidingor dungeon PvE, I would likely drop RS and put in NB for the additional constant DPS buffs.

Having said that, I might investigate a build heavy on BD and Rift stalker as the secondary, then bring in NB for 10 points for the base damage increases.

Soulwalker

I have yet to try a Bladedancer on my rogue, but I was planning on giving it a whirl in Beta 7, mainly as a solo PvE leveling spec.

I figured I'd try building toward something like this: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...z.VG0h.0VMcxcb

In Beta 6 I tested an Assassin build and found that most of the time at level 25+ things would live quite fine through one 5-point combo and allow me to build a few more points before dying. I'd get rather low health though after quickly chaining a few MOBs and that lead to downtime.

The idea with this build is to alternate between False Blade and Dauntless Strike as your finisher to maintain them as you go between MOBs and finish your fight with as many combo points on the target as possible (as long as the loss in killing speed is minimal). Maintaining Guarded Steel might be possible as well if you're really able to string together kills.

With Rift Scavenger and Boosted Recovery, killing something with 5 combo points will heal you 39% of your life ((6% * 5) * 130% = 39%) and with Combat Culmination you'll get 25 energy and a +3% crit, hit, parry, and dodge buff for 30 seconds. Throw in Leeching Poison from Assassin (which also should be boosted by Boosted Recover) and you have quite a bit of self-healing to reduce downtime while grinding and help in drawn-out fights.

The points I spent on Bladedancer were primarily focused on boosting dodge/parry, maxing utility, and increasing combo-point generation. This build should likely have pretty good ability to kill multiple targets at once (mostly if they're melee) due to a fair number of AoE/multi-target abilities and decent defenses.

I was tempted to move 3 points into Combat Efficiency for even easier CP generation after a finisher, but I'm not sure where best to take them from.

What do people think?

EDIT: One thing I do wonder is if Poison Potency only increases Leeching Poison's damage, or if it increases the heal as well (though it doesn't mention healing at all). It might also be worth moving 1 point into Blinding Powder for add control.
    Last edited by Rehwyn; 02-13-2011 at 07:33 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast