+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Professions for bards.

Telaran

Default Professions for bards.

Hi all,

I plan to be a Bard when Rift goes live.

What are the best professions to take? Outfitting & Butchery?

Any help is appreciated

Telaran

Bascially anytyhing could be useful, except for Armorsmithing, since you do not wear plate. You get uses out of all the other professions.

Soulwalker

I have been working on Outfitting with my Bard. It makes bags as well as the leather armor we wear.

Telaran

outfitting is very tempting. I was thinking apothcary for heal potions, however someone pointed out the true benefit of outfitting is in regards to runecraft. I guess instead of gathering supplies, you have to break down items. Outfitting only requires butchery. So that means you not only can make your own armor, you can also have two tradecrafts as an outfitter, since you can break down the armor you make for runecraft. This however is the only combo for which this is possible. This is also very appealing on a pvp server, because it is ussually much safer to hunt game deep in the outback in pvp. And as an outfitter, hunting game is possibly more profitable to you than monster targets.

I would go as someone already mentioned. I am going Butchering, Outfitting, Runecrafting.

Apothecary is weird. The plants you need scale up too fast for the areas you can obtain them in. What do I mean by this? Gathering plants in the noob area will get you about 30 points in Apothecary. You won't get access to the plants to move you above 30 until around level 15, and that is if you're plowing through quests and not doing anything else. I PvP'd and did rifts and found I had gotten to the next part of plants at about level 18. Mean while, my Runecrafting was over 100 thanks to friends I am playing with sending me their greens they got while in the same level range.

And one of those friends was an outfitter, so he was sending me everything he made for me to break. I am seriously disappointed in the plant range scaling of Apothecary and will not be taking it to start with at live. I'll be using the combination I opened this reply with.
    Last edited by Squared; 02-13-2011 at 01:22 PM.
    Reclaimer Defiant

Rogue: Litte <Vox Mortis> GM

Quote Originally Posted by Squared View Post
    Apothecary is weird. The plants you need scale up too fast for the areas you can obtain them in. What do I mean by this? Gathering plants in the noob area will get you about 30 points in Apothecary. You won't get access to the plants to move you above 30 until around level 15, and that is if you're plowing through quests and not doing anything else. I PvP'd and did rifts and found I had gotten to the next part of plants at about level 18. Mean while, my Runecrafting was over 100 thanks to friends I am playing with sending me their greens they got while in the same level range.
    I may be remembering incorrectly, but I think the other crafting professions that rely on a gathering skill (weaponsmith, armorsmith, outfitter, artificer) work similarly. I seem to remember getting stuck around 30 in Artificer until I could get the next tier of raw materials.

I find it interesting that most professions only use part of the associated gathering skill. Artificers have no use for herbs, and Apothecaries have no use for wood, but both need foraging which gives you herbs and wood. Similarly, outfitters don't have much use for the teeth & bones that butchering yields.

Butchering/Outfitting are good for keeping you in new clothes all the time. You can make bags and sell those also.

Weaponcrafting/Mining is another option if you want to keep up your weapons all the time. You know ore is going to sell in the AH so any extra you have can be sold for money.

Apothecary/Heralism is the same general thing. You get potions to buff you. This may not be the best for bard because some of them may not overlap. I don't really know which ones might because I didn't take that one in beta.

I think the best option would be a Gathering and Crafting profession that work together well and another Gathering profession so you can have extra mats to sell in the AH or split with guildmates.

Personally, I'll be going Outfitting/Butchering/Mining.
    Author of Support Bard Guide and Officer of Nuln Highway Boys

+ Reply to Thread