+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "free" pet

Shadowlander

Default "free" pet

Looking over this forum, I see lots of suggested builds, that make use of the "free" ranger pet. I was wondering if there was any concern that you would get used to the crutch of using that pet, only to run into the wall, later, or not having it level past 30? I suspect that most people use this pet as there personal tank, and you need to put an awful lot of points into ranger to get the next tank pet, probably more points than many will have room for. I realize that the pet will make the low levels much easier, but I wonder if it might be better to level in a way that you learn to survive without that crutch?

Telaran

I don't see it as a problem as long as you have a clear idea of what youo want your final build to be. Having a pet for low lvl instead of your real build it nice because you dont have enough points to pick your survivability skills and your dps. The ranger takes care of your survival till lvl 30 without a single point.

Soulwalker

Honestly, the only two builds I've done where a "free" pet has been more useful than other 0-point soul abilities has been Marksman and Bard. Marksman is obviously so you can keep stuff at range instead of kiting all day (which sucks for leveling) and Bard is for a tank and some extra damage. I've actually been in my Bard role with 0 points in Ranger while my Razorbeast tanked a Rift Invasion as I healed it, myself, and the rest of the raid (that had no other tank).

Relying on a "free" pet as a Marksman post-30 does present a problem... but it's pretty easily solved by just switching to a Ranger build instead.

Also, the pet dies really, really easily without at least 4 points in Ranger for the heal if more than one thing attack it.
    Last edited by Rehwyn; 02-13-2011 at 06:00 AM.

Plane Touched

Relying on the pet until 30 is fine, if you spec right post 30 you can kill equal level mobs in 6-7 gcds =)

+ Reply to Thread