+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PVE / (Mostly) Solo Bard Build

Soulwalker

Default PVE / (Mostly) Solo Bard Build

Hi,

Apologies in advance if this has been covered, sure it has but after looking for over an hour I can't find it (and I'm kinda going 'textblind' now).

I'll be rolling a char on PVE server (unless I can convince GF otherwise).

Intention is a Rogue class that will mainly duo with a mage but may end up solo'ing (if she loses interest and due to my time constraints - Will have a main I play when 'she' is not ingame).

I'd still whilst having PVE solo ability like to be 'viable' on WFs and as a support for dungeon run groups. (cake an eat it)

Build I have so far is this.

If anyone has the time to have a look over it with the above situation in mind I'd really appreciate any input before gametime
    Please could you give some reasonings too if you could, not just, 'your build sucks use this its L33T' posts :P

Thanks in advance

(I know people may say a warrior class would be a better fit for this situation but I've always played Bard/Rogue characters and would like to remain doing so if I could) - Thanks.

Soulwalker

Default Sorry to be first to rpely to my own post but

Any additional info/advice on me NOT using powerchord for this from the bards out there would be good too

Thanks

You say you want to be viable in PvP as well, ok.

First, riftstalker tree is going to change, a lot, for next beta, so my first suggestion is to wait on that.

Second, to be viable in PvP, you're going to need Verse of Fascination. Also, Riff is too good to pass up. Is a great "oh s*!t" button in combination with Virtuoso to almost instantly keep spamming your finishers if needed.

You'll soon find that to be viable in PvP, you'll need survivability and forms of CC and ways to get out of CC.
    Reclaimer Defiant

Rogue: Litte <Vox Mortis> GM

Soulwalker

Thanks for the quick reply and good reasoning too

When you put it that way it does make a lot of sense, especially for 2pts.

Now to try to work out what to take 2pts off.

Thanks again for taking the time out

I know each person has different ways they want to pvp. Also with changes to riftstalker coming, I will be rethinking this build, but here is the build I was going with at 50 for pvp on my bard as hybrid.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...sz..xGL0xqbokk

This gives you 2 crowd controls with bard and 1 in rift, also it relies on using your planar shifts often for the shield. Until you get the pvp soul, I'd be going with bladedancer for the avoidance 0 ability. I'm still not sure about riftstalker Planar Switch as that seems more situational, so might put that point somewhere else.

Again, this is PvP build. You'll have different builds you can easily switch between, so no need to have one build for everything.
    Reclaimer Defiant

Telaran

If you can, I'd suggest trying to get 1 more point into blade dancer just to get "false blade"
    This is pretty useful, though more so if you have "reprisal" are are doing much melee.
    However I'm not much into PvP so I can't say how useful this all is for PvP.

A useful way to start a pull, is to start with cadence for 3 points, then hit power chord if you have it. Then false blade. It's not a huge damage starter but it is a quick way to give you 60 seconds of the extra dodge. This also means you're that much more likely to have reprisal triggered.

In general you seem to have gone for a very defense oriented build.
    The only reason I can really find for selecting defense over dps is if you aren't playing solo and you expect to draw a lot of agro.
    If you are mainly solo, you can still survive easily without all of the defense options. You might try swapping the AC in the rift soul to the attack power, and maybe dancer's dodge to the +to hit. And drop the 1 point from planar refuge and put it in reprisal.

For a PvE build.

Since you said you'll mainly be with your gf who will be playing a mage, you have no real tank. This wont be an issue right away, but as you get higher, the mobs do get a lot rougher.

For PvE I'd suggest a ranger/bard hybrid. The Ranger tree focusing mainly on augmenting your pet while the bard does what bards do, support. You'd be using ranged abilities for this build and you'll want to use Improved Quick Shot + Blood Rage to augment your pet even further.

First I would focus on the ranger tree until you have 3/3 in Blood Rage and then switch to the Bard tree until you get Coda of Restoration, then back into the Ranger tree. The third tree is mainly just fluff. I noticed in higher levels, you miss a lot more, so I went with Blade Dancer for 2 more points in hit % and for side step for another oh s*!t button.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M....xMcf0xosoVz.M

Not a perfect build, is something I just threw together with thoughts of having pet tank while you support and dps while gf dps' as well.
    Reclaimer Defiant

Rift Disciple

Power Chord is awesome for PvP.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Tomyem View Post
    Hi,

Apologies in advance if this has been covered, sure it has but after looking for over an hour I can't find it (and I'm kinda going 'textblind' now).

I'll be rolling a char on PVE server (unless I can convince GF otherwise).

Intention is a Rogue class that will mainly duo with a mage but may end up solo'ing (if she loses interest and due to my time constraints - Will have a main I play when 'she' is not ingame).

I'd still whilst having PVE solo ability like to be 'viable' on WFs and as a support for dungeon run groups. (cake an eat it)

Build I have so far is this.

If anyone has the time to have a look over it with the above situation in mind I'd really appreciate any input before gametime
    Please could you give some reasonings too if you could, not just, 'your build sucks use this its L33T' posts :P

Thanks in advance

(I know people may say a warrior class would be a better fit for this situation but I've always played Bard/Rogue characters and would like to remain doing so if I could) - Thanks.
    Why show a build for soloing when you have all 50 points spent... it doesnt really do anything... make a build that is for level 15 or so, so we understand how you plan to actually level up im sure by level 50 you will have some idea what your doing... also i doubt soloing will be much of a worry at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomyem View Post
    Hi,

Apologies in advance if this has .......... be a better fit for this situation but I've always played Bard/Rogue characters and would like to remain doing so if I could) - Thanks.
    #1 Bard isn't the way you should level PERIOD. Bard is the Spec you switch to when you are in a group or PvPing. Solo, Duo or just questing PvE you should go more for a Ranger/Saboteur spec.

This spec will level nicely either solo or with your chick.
    Level 12: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MTiN.VVM.V

Level 17: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MTiN.VVM0V.V0x

Hope this helps. Bard isn't a great PvE quest class, so just stick with what works because you can always have 4 different Spec's and you can always reset your Souls as needed for a small fee.

Rift Disciple

On my lvl 29 rogue I will use these 2 souls next once beta 7 opens.

Nightbalde build (lvl29)
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MpiV..ihtoG0xM
    Bard build (lvl29)
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MpcV..VcbVV0skc
    Ranger/Sin/RS (lvl 30, PvE solo build)
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...0c.VGsfzbkoz.V
    Endgame build (PvP mostly)
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...EcdVVoskqz.VhL
    or
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...EcdVVoskqz.VhL
    44 NB for blackout and all around DPS, 18 RS just enough for guardian phase when taking too much dmg and the armor, attack power, 30% greater self heals, and endurance. Assassin for the 4% extra crit.
    Maybe 51 Nightblade for the AoE skill at 51, have to see when we get there.

So unique, eh?
    Last edited by Sixfeetdeep; 02-12-2011 at 05:40 PM.

Bards in pvp are ok but not that great. Bards/riftstalkers are a pain to kill solo as you can literally tank most classes. It's actually kinda boring but you will figure that out when you play bard enough. Anyways listen to what others previously have said get the CC and any CC breaks you can. You will not pve or pvp easily and will need friends as you won't be killing anything solo without a long drawn out fight and them you.

Good luck in your travels and let's hope they tweak the bard some more so it's more "fun".

Soulwalker

Default Thanks

Just a quick thanks for replies so far...appreciate the input/advice.

I'll comment a bit better once the alcohol wares off a bit ;)

but nonetheless a thank you

+ Reply to Thread