+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Total Noob Post: Why have MM and Ranger?

Soulwalker

Default Total Noob Post: Why have MM and Ranger?

I know they are both ranged classes, and I haven't looked into the trees much. It seems MM's kite because a lot of their abilities increase speed while rangers stay put with their pet. Why have both? Maybe there are some soul benefits I am missing but it seems to me these two play styles conflict. Please don't rage on me for being a COMPLETE noob, I'm aware I'm one. Please answer =D

Prophet of Telara

I'll just say for Crippling shot and Eagle eye in ranger soul.

I also think Concussive blast is a nice 2nd interrupt if repelling shot(MM) isn't enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Jgits View Post
    I know they are both ranged classes, and I haven't looked into the trees much. It seems MM's kite because a lot of their abilities increase speed while rangers stay put with their pet. Why have both? Maybe there are some soul benefits I am missing but it seems to me these two play styles conflict. Please don't rage on me for being a COMPLETE noob, I'm aware I'm one. Please answer =D
    Because it gives you more options in combat
    " Give me a honest guy who is angry alot and who does not like people and isn't afaid to show it, give me one of those, atleast you know what you are getting with a person like that , when it comes to bleeding hearts ,all you end up getting is stabbed in the back,that I can guarantee,there are genuinely nice people there are genuinely nasty people , and then there are the bleeding hearts which are worse"- Totalbiscuit cynicalbrit.com

You can put points in more than one soul. I would imagine there is good synergy between the ranger and marksman souls.

Quote Originally Posted by Melnock View Post
    You can put points in more than one soul. I would imagine there is good synergy between the ranger and marksman souls.
    Better synergy between MM and ranger than ranger and MM. But yeah, why not have both? Some rogues of all types want ranged option without the pet, or vice versa, just the pet for meat shield with zero points.
    Last edited by Ankhi; 02-12-2011 at 09:30 AM.

Simple answer is PvE questing, and Rifting. Markmen need range to be effective, without the Ranger's pet, the mob you just shot would be coming straight at you because you don't have a pet to take the aggro.

Rift Master

Both classes have increased damage to ranged weapons with the other feeds off of.

Rift Master

Why have pancakes and waffles?

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Zooks View Post
    Why have pancakes and waffles?
    More like: why have eggs and bacon?

The Rangers benefits greatly from having a pet as they both enhance each other, while the marksman focuses on self enhancement and speed.
    * LAG is when you get latency related problems. (such as teleporting)
    * Low FPS(Frames Per Second) is when the game starts to stutter and it looks like pictures instead of fluid movement.

Telaran

Picking both of these Souls and putting points into them is a bit redundant. Too many of their abilities overlap and you'll find you won't use at least half of the abilities you get from them. I can understand one picking Ranger for a free low level pet if you want to be a Marskman at lower levels. I find Ranger is great for soloing, where as Marksman is more of a group or pvp soul.

In Rift there is such thing as overspecializing, where you are far better off picking a soul to compliment your main soul, but not something that is too similar that it makes abilities you gain redundant. The Nightblade comes to mind as being a great compliment to a Marksman or a Ranger because you can put points into it to increase the damage of your finishers and combo point gaining abilities. You will also get a buff that gives you a chance to add fire damage to your wapons, and that includes your bow. Not only that, if you find yourself stuck in a corner with no way out, you have some melee capability to help you through.
    Last edited by wiccanguy25; 02-12-2011 at 01:59 PM.

Soulwalker

Thank you guys very much =)

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by wiccanguy25 View Post
    Picking both of these Souls and putting points into them is a bit redundant. Too many of their abilities overlap and you'll find you won't use at least half of the abilities you get from them. I can understand one picking Ranger for a free low level pet if you want to be a Marskman at lower levels. I find Ranger is great for soloing, where as Marksman is more of a group or pvp soul.

In Rift there is such thing as overspecializing, where you are far better off picking a soul to compliment your main soul, but not something that is too similar that it makes abilities you gain redundant. The Nightblade comes to mind as being a great compliment to a Marksman or a Ranger because you can put points into it to increase the damage of your finishers and combo point gaining abilities. You will also get a buff that gives you a chance to add fire damage to your wapons, and that includes your bow. Not only that, if you find yourself stuck in a corner with no way out, you have some melee capability to help you through.
    This.

Better to invest in Riftstalker or Bard rather than invest in two DPS classes

Soulwalker

I was thinking after reading this and a couple other posts that MM, Nightblade, Bard might be good? NIghtblade as said compliments and is melee for if that ever happens, bard for great group buffs(plan on grouping) and MM for main soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    More like: why have eggs and bacon?
    You mean bacon and sausage

Bcause they are both sooo savory and sultry. I eat bacon with eggs and sausage with pancakes, EASY! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by sinasdf View Post
    Better to invest in Riftstalker or Bard rather than invest in two DPS classes
    Although I run pure marksman, I agree completely. Also, I swear Bard is the funniest class I have every seen. I mean I've only been playing MMOs since WOW:TBC, but it funny to see someone pull an instrument out during combat lol
    Apple 13" Aluminum Unibody MacBook/Apple 24" LED Cinima Display
    Mac OS X 10.6.6 (Snow Leopard)/Window 7 Ultimate x64 (Boot Camp)
    Processor: 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Memory: 2 x 2GB Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 9400M Hard Drive: Hitachi 160GB
    Rift: Plans of Telara: Brooks-Ethian Rogue Riftstalker-Snarebrush

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast