+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bladedancer needs just a simple change.

Default Bladedancer needs just a simple change.

Right now, you have to wait 20 to 50 secs (depends of the ability) to activate another rythmic action and that is with "counterbalance" feated.
    Just increase the reduction bonus from "Counterbalance"
    or
    Leave "Counterbalance" as it is and make exhaustion timer start when you activate (press) the rythmic ability.

Rift Master

50% dodge up for all but 10 seconds per minuet? No thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Velzevul66 View Post
    Leave "Counterbalance" as it is and make exhaustion timer start when you activate (press) the rythmic ability.
    I thought that was the way it was working ? I know I've heard people say that it was. Though I've never run a BD primary build, so I haven't paid too much attention myself.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdine
    50% dodge up for all but 10 seconds per minuet? No thanks
    Side Steps has it's own 2 minute cool down, all of the rythmic abilities do (some are longer than 2 minutes as well, I believe).

-Aglethe
    Quote Originally Posted by Arturo Perez-Reverte
    "He no longer had the youth, the innocence, or the desire to go and fight at a place chosen by his opponents, three duels arranged in ten minutes, in the grounds of the Carmelite convent or wherever the hell it might be. When the time came to say hello, he'd make sure he approached Rochefort with everything in his favor, if possible from behind, with a steel bar in his hand... Corso would settle his debts calmly. Biding his time."

The soul is fine and dandy as it is.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Roarnak View Post
    The soul is fine and dandy as it is.
    Not when it's a dps class and its reactives won't work in dungeons.

Quote Originally Posted by Atar View Post
    Not when it's a dps class and its reactives won't work in dungeons.
    How don't they work?
    I assume your running BD as your only alternative or something?

Try a PvE Rogue spec for one of your other souls?
    In fact alot of PvP souls work just great in a Dungeon.

Maybe I miss understood.
    The whole class dynamic is set around not being hit, thats the point.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Maledict View Post
    The whole class dynamic is set around not being hit, thats the point.
    Uuh, the whole class dynamic is focused around being hit and dodging/parrying those hits to enhance your DPS. This system just makes the soul useless in a group PVE setting, as you won't be taking any hit, your tank will.

The whole rhythmic design is not well designed in my opinion. Long cooldowns (2 minutes), locks out all other rhythmic abilities (30 - 45 seconds), and offers short durations.

Bend Like Read is easily 5 times more useful than Side Steps as it has a 30 second cooldown instead of 2 minutes and it does not lockout any other abilities with "exhaustion", and it can provide 25% more avoidance.

Then compare 26 talents invested in NB for Scourge of Darkness versus 26 points invested in Bladedancer for Counterbalance, which reduces the lockout from 30 to 20 seconds on abilities that have 2 minute cooldowns. Furthermore, if I intend to use the same ability, Counterbalance is an utter waste of a T5 talent since the cooldown of any ability exceeds exhaustion.

Regarding the DPS loss in PvE when not tanking:
    Strike Back (2pts T2 DPS)
    Reprisal (1pt T2 DPS)
    Turn the Tide (2pts T4 DPS)
    Contra Tempo (2pts T5 DPS)
    Disengage (1pt T6 DPS) .
    5 DPS talents rendered useless, including a T6.

Compare this to Paragon, which has 0 useless direct DPS talents in PvE. Serenity (3pts T4 ) is the only talent that provides DPS and even that is debatable because this is an energy recovery ability.
    Last edited by Ibliss; 02-12-2011 at 11:12 AM.
    "The only reason I need to group is to have witnesses to my greatness." -Hubris

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Ibliss View Post
    The whole rhythmic design is not well designed in my opinion. Long cooldowns (2 minutes), locks out all other rhythmic abilities (30 - 45 seconds), and offers short durations.

Bend Like Read is easily 5 times more useful than Side Steps as it has a 30 second cooldown instead of 2 minutes and it does not lockout any other abilities with "exhaustion", and it can provide 25% more avoidance.

Then compare 26 talents invested in NB for Scourge of Darkness versus 26 points invested in Bladedancer for Counterbalance, which reduces the lockout from 30 to 20 seconds on abilities that have 2 minute cooldowns. Furthermore, if I intend to use the same ability, Counterbalance is an utter waste of a T5 talent since the cooldown of any ability exceeds exhaustion.

Regarding the DPS loss in PvE when not tanking:
    Strike Back (2pts T2 DPS)
    Reprisal (1pt T2 DPS)
    Turn the Tide (2pts T4 DPS)
    Contra Tempo (2pts T5 DPS)
    Disengage (1pt T6 DPS) .
    5 DPS talents rendered useless, including a T6.

Compare this to Paragon, which has 0 useless direct DPS talents in PvE. Serenity (3pts T4 ) is the only talent that provides DPS and even that is debatable because this is an energy recovery ability.
    I'm totally with you.

I'm in love with the concept of the Bladedancer soul, but I often feel like that the Paragon is closer to a real Bladedancer than his rogue counterpart.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcanaXVIII View Post
    I'm totally with you.

I'm in love with the concept of the Bladedancer soul, but I often feel like that the Paragon is closer to a real Bladedancer than his rogue counterpart.
    I have to agree. This is the change I would suggest.

Change Dancing Steel as follows:
    Active for 1 second per point spent in the Bladedancing tree
    While dancing, reactive abilities are activated when your target dodges or parries Precise Strike, Quick Strike or Deadly Strike.
    You are exhausted 2 seconds for every second spent dancing.
    Time added by Blade Hustle does not increase this exhaustion time.

Remove Vivacity

Change Counterbalance to a 3 point talent, reducing exhaustion 10-30 seconds.
    Last edited by Ibliss; 02-12-2011 at 11:59 AM.

Is it bad that my primary is BD and I use it for DPS, Is it supposed to paired with riftsalker for tanking?

Quote Originally Posted by jhowie217 View Post
    Is it bad that my primary is BD and I use it for DPS, Is it supposed to paired with riftsalker for tanking?
    It's not necessarily bad. It's just not optimal in its current state. It's great for pairing with Riftstalker. I think that the reactives when you are tanking are good for building threat but largely unnecessary from a damage perspective. If you're tanking as a rogue, you're using Guardian Phase which drops your damage 30% but increases threat, so dealing damage with reactives really offers little in PvE. It's great for PvP. Contra Tempo is probably the best tanking talent in the tree in my opinion because free combo points are fantastic.

From a damage perspective, I would limit the points invested to 26.

For example assuming the cap was still level 35: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...c.V0x.Vi0Azs0o

Flash of Steel is a good ability. The build assumes you are taking advantage of the Keen > Quick/Precise and you are stacking Deadly Dance with Blazing Fury.

The unfortunate side of this build is that I'd rather spend 5 points on Strike Back, Turn the Tide and Reprisal than Blade Finesse. Those 3 abilities are several times better, but you can't put them to use if you're not being attacked.
    Last edited by Ibliss; 02-12-2011 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Added statement about reactive damage and tanking

I think it depends what side of the BD tree you go up. Left side is mostly defensive, solo, tank, and PVP friendly, the right leans more to DPS and combo points abilities. How specialized are you looking to make your toon?

+ Reply to Thread