+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: riftstalker/bard tank build

Default riftstalker/bard tank build

hey, im not a great soul builder, most things i think are useful turn out to be a build requiring 40 abilities to run effectively but i saw the changes to riftstalker and attempted it, i went 51 into riftstalker because of the buffed changes and then 15 into bard for the armor aura and group endurance buff.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...k0V.EGtItqfRkk

i have a few questions as well, does the bard's fanfare of vigor and the riftstalker's planebound resilience stack with each other? and after using 1 plane shift ability does it put the rest on a small cooldown longer than the GCD or anything?

any helpful feedback or an altered build will be most appreciated. if your just going to post "use this build its the cookie cutter build that you will only be able to run" then move along. the 3rd soul is open for change, i just put ranger in for the extra DPS, i plan on disabling both the pet's abilities and putting it on passive only sending it in when i think i have aggro so it won't steal it and get us wiped but if there's other base abilities that are better for a tank rouge then feel free to change it.

Soulwalker

Both endurance buffs stack and there is only the 1 second GCD that effects other shifts after shifting.

I don't think going full 51 into RS is the best use of soul points to make a tank rogue. . I would also definitely go up to at least 18 points in Bard for the Motif of Tenacity for 5% dmg mitigation.

For a 3rd soul I strongly reccomend Bladedancer for at the very least side steps, which gives you a 50% dodge buff cooldown to blow. 8 points in BD will also get you 5% dodge, a dexterity buff, and False Blade finisher for another 5% dodge. Reprisal and Strike Back for some off GCD damage is nice too.

Rift Barrier vs Rift Guard, its really up to you. I prefer Rift Guard as it can absorb alpha strikes and doesn't use up your precious combo points.

By no means the end all be all build, but maybe you can get some ideas off it at the very least. http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...d0o.vGtcxq0okz

Okita 60 Rogue l Creiddy 60 Cleric l Sacaen 60 Warr l Shiiun 60 Mage

Shadowlander

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...thz0V.E0bV0oMo

A bit of an odd build, but here is one of my many ideas for a tanking build. The only reason I went so many points into BD was for Flash of Steel. Could be a very good skill for saving a party member in a crucial moment.

Quote Originally Posted by DreadShinobi View Post
    I don't think going full 51 into RS is the best use of soul points to make a tank rogue. . I would also definitely go up to at least 18 points in Bard for the Motif of Tenacity for 5% dmg mitigation.

For a 3rd soul I strongly reccomend Bladedancer for at the very least side steps, which gives you a 50% dodge buff cooldown to blow. 8 points in BD will also get you 5% dodge, a dexterity buff, and False Blade finisher for another 5% dodge. Reprisal and Strike Back for some off GCD damage is nice too.

Rift Barrier vs Rift Guard, its really up to you. I prefer Rift Guard as it can absorb alpha strikes and doesn't use up your precious combo points.

By no means the end all be all build, but maybe you can get some ideas off it at the very least. http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...d0o.vGtcxq0okz
    The recent alpha notes changed *alot* on the RS, you are kinda stuck with a 51 point build or close to that for MT now. 51 RS/ 8 BD/ 7 Rng or 51 RS/ 8 Rng/ 7 Brd will probably be the two big cookie cutter builds at this point.

-Aglethe
    Quote Originally Posted by Arturo Perez-Reverte
    "He no longer had the youth, the innocence, or the desire to go and fight at a place chosen by his opponents, three duels arranged in ten minutes, in the grounds of the Carmelite convent or wherever the hell it might be. When the time came to say hello, he'd make sure he approached Rochefort with everything in his favor, if possible from behind, with a steel bar in his hand... Corso would settle his debts calmly. Biding his time."

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Aglethe View Post
    The recent alpha notes changed *alot* on the RS, you are kinda stuck with a 51 point build or close to that for MT now. 51 RS/ 8 BD/ 7 Rng or 51 RS/ 8 Rng/ 7 Brd will probably be the two big cookie cutter builds at this point.

-Aglethe
    Maybe. Let's not jump the gun though. There is still a lot of merit in stopping early. They just put in incentive to go farther in the tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyveth View Post
    Maybe. Let's not jump the gun though. There is still a lot of merit in stopping early. They just put in incentive to go farther in the tree.
    Well, whatever you're spending the points on need to be signifcantly better than 1% end and .5% damage reduction per point. And our AoE forced taunt is stuck pretty high up there at 44 (of course, at least now we *have* an AoE forced aggro move ;) ). They've also reduced alot of the waste involved in filling up the tree. I wouldn't say anyone is holding a gun to your head to go to 51, but there may be a baseball bat or a prize fighter involved. ;)

-Aglethe
    Quote Originally Posted by Arturo Perez-Reverte
    "He no longer had the youth, the innocence, or the desire to go and fight at a place chosen by his opponents, three duels arranged in ten minutes, in the grounds of the Carmelite convent or wherever the hell it might be. When the time came to say hello, he'd make sure he approached Rochefort with everything in his favor, if possible from behind, with a steel bar in his hand... Corso would settle his debts calmly. Biding his time."

Quote Originally Posted by Aglethe View Post

-Aglethe
    Yeah I actually just got around to reading the alpha notes after posting that, will be interesting to see how it plays out. I really hope RS will still be good w/ low investment also. It's my favorite soul to use as a secondary soul in a role.

Okita 60 Rogue l Creiddy 60 Cleric l Sacaen 60 Warr l Shiiun 60 Mage

Shadowlander

Silly question but does attack power increase your cadence therefore increasing your healing (if specced that way)?

Quote Originally Posted by Prysm View Post
    Silly question but does attack power increase your cadence therefore increasing your healing (if specced that way)?
    yes, it increases cadence damage meaning more healing, planned on only using bard for the armor buff.

Thanks for the help, gonna help me make a better build, ill play around and re post when im happy with the build.

The best riftstalker build after the new leaked notes are 51/7/8 this is just how it is.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...tItqfRkk.xb.xh

Unless they change it further prior to beta and release this will be the best tank build. They removed any possibility of you multi specing into other souls now and your top effectiveness will basically be what I have linked.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Baconnaise View Post
    The best riftstalker build after the new leaked notes are 51/7/8 this is just how it is.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...tItqfRkk.xb.xh

Unless they change it further prior to beta and release this will be the best tank build. They removed any possibility of you multi specing into other souls now and your top effectiveness will basically be what I have linked.
    I'd generally have to disagree with you here. It might be the highest hp build for all RS builds but it certaintly doesn't have the most mitigation.

If you are going to take 51 in RS then i'd go with an 8/7 split BD/Ranger or BD/Bard. 10% higher avoidance and a free cooldown for 50% increased dodge out of BD is better than taking both bard and ranger as your other 2 souls. The higher max hp will get you through big hits but still make you more of a sponge... and I don't forsee RS having any kind of HP problems now considering they are going to have 30% more endurance than before....

Quote Originally Posted by gulain View Post
    I'd generally have to disagree with you here. It might be the highest hp build for all RS builds but it certaintly doesn't have the most mitigation.

If you are going to take 51 in RS then i'd go with an 8/7 split BD/Ranger or BD/Bard. 10% higher avoidance and a free cooldown for 50% increased dodge out of BD is better than taking both bard and ranger as your other 2 souls. The higher max hp will get you through big hits but still make you more of a sponge... and I don't forsee RS having any kind of HP problems now considering they are going to have 30% more endurance than before....
    Riftstalkers with higher health will take spike better and have higher health on the shields. You will always have abilities like this up and your mitigation will be equal or better than a warrior with MUCH higher endurance with the exception of you can't block. AC and everything from what I'm seeing will be about the same as warrior.

It's ok though you can play around with the secondaries somewhat but you really have no option of no going 51 RS now. You can't really get rid of ranger since you get the 6% mitigation to any type of damage it's just too good to pass up. BD doesn't come near that 6% by itself. The way certain things work currently with 10-13k health at 50 you would absorb almost 20k damage. BD dodge won't help you for minutes on end where as bard and ranger are anytime. BD dodge also won't help with magic or abilities that can't be dodged anyhow so really it's just a gimmick.

Anyways we'll see how useful bd is with higher level content.
    Last edited by Baconnaise; 02-12-2011 at 07:22 PM.

Soulwalker

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...k.xh.g0dV0cMMM

Here's the build I've been playing with. I try to supplement my dodge as best as possible with BD, and I really think this will be a fun build once I can get my teeth into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deyadrin View Post
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...k.xh.g0dV0cMMM

Here's the build I've been playing with. I try to supplement my dodge as best as possible with BD, and I really think this will be a fun build once I can get my teeth into it.
    Are you aiming for a more tanky dps build? It looks like it here.

One of the big reasons RS is a pure 51 soul is because of defer death and scatter shadows. Every two minutes you are immune to any and all damage for ten seconds! This is pure win. Couple this with the fact that planar switch allows you to front load combo points on a mob without aggro (bosses etc) you don't even need to use sab charges with the aggro to make sure your defensive abilities are up prior to pulling. You could also duel someone before an important pull to but whatever.

The other is this little gem

* Improved Guardian Phase - New Ability: Tier 6 branch ability. Increases the Endurance bonus from Guardian Phase by 5%. An additional 1% is added for every point spent in Riftstalker above 26, resulting in 60% Endurance bonus at 51 points.
    You want all points in RS for this. Oh and this!

* Rift Guard: Absorbs up to 50% of your max health with 5 combo points.
    * Guarded Steel: Now increases Armor by 30% instead of a fixed value. The bonus applied should scale better across levels.
    * Improved Guarded Steel - New Ability: Tier 6 branch ability. Increases the Armor value contributed from items by an additional 5-10% and increases your threat generation by 20-40% while Guarded Steel is active.
    * Improved Rift Guard: Changed from a 3 point ability to 1. Increases the incoming damage absorbed by Rift Guard by 2.5%, and total amount it can absorb by 25%. For every point spent in Riftstalker above 16, the incoming damage absorbed is increased by 0.5% and the total amount absorbed by 5%.
    Any and all RS builds meant for tanking without 51 points are null and void. It's cool if you want to multi spec and try quirky builds but it won't be the preferred or desired setup for a serious RS player that intends to actually tank.

I rest my case.
    Last edited by Baconnaise; 02-12-2011 at 09:44 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast