+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sniper Build

Telaran

Default Sniper Build

I've seen a lot of rng/mm/as builds, however I seem to have a very different take. So this is my sniper build

Whats the point of taking the assassin tree, if your not going after stealth? Thats why I put 21 pts in it, so I can get the perma stealth ability. With 2 pts in silent footsteps I get normal movement speed. The rest of the points amp my crit dmg, which should all translate to my archery. Not to mention, at 20 pts, my leeching poison acts as a 33 pt heal.

I give up pts in ranger, because I don't want pets. What I do want is the fleeting instincts, for extra movement. To build on this, I also grabbed hasty departure and on the double, for combat movement. That of course is the underlying concept of this entire build, stealth, range and mobility.

Will it work? The entire history of warfare tech tells me it will.

Soulwalker

would be worth putting 1 point into foul play for a 4second stun, which could save your life as MM and give u enough time to get LoS and get stealthed again for a resetup

Soulwalker

The only problem I see with this build is, you cannot shoot your bow from stealth, only move around in it.

Telaran

Thats possible, I do have an extra point in MM. Of course, I also have paralyzing strike, which would give me the stun and 2 combo pts. The problem being I would need to use a meelee weapon. Not sure how that works, swapping weapons in combat, I haven't played in any beta events. With 21 pts in the assassin tree, I should have a little bit of meelee ability, even though I haven't specced any attacks. I also have close quarters and static shot/crippling shot to toss in a quick root/snare if need be.

Of course, and this is the problem with dropping a pt in hasty departure, if I'm in meelee range for more than a few seconds, the 20% movement speed seems like it would be more useful than a 4 second stun. Would be nice if i could drop blinding powder for it. Maybe I could drop a pt in sniper training, -1% dodge isn't that big a deal, more of a luxury, I would think.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by KintyreGoV View Post
    The only problem I see with this build is, you cannot shoot your bow from stealth, only move around in it.
    What do you mean? I can't test anything out till tuesday. Does attacking with a bow break you out of stealth, or do you actually have to unstealth before you use it? I would expect the former. And thats to be expected. Give me a patch of trees, and 4 seconds of strafe, and that squishy is toast.

I've been playing a similar character, although I've found that I prefer Nightblade over Assassin. Range and mobility make for a great combination when it comes to PvP. You may want to consider putting some points into Killer Instinct too. Empowered Shot is my primary opener and Deadeye is our best finisher. An extra 15% crit on those is pretty sweet.

Also, back to the mobility part, I like having the Sab soul in my Role too. The 0-point AoE snare that you get is very nice. It can be used offensively to snare a group of charging melee while you pepper them with AoE, or it can be used on the run immediately around you if melee closes in. On the Double/AoE Snare and you have five seconds of freedom to run as far as you can and start shooting again.

I think the build has some potential but needs some point re-allocated. Most notable is u have nothing in sharpshooter but u went for everything with crit. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't hit calculated of an internal die role, then rolled again for a crit chance? I fear you will have a few more misses in your shots wasteing, skills, auto attacks, and GCD's. Nothing is worse the banking on a crit and you role a miss.

Fleeting Instinct
    s, Silent Footsteps, and your Improved Stealth don't exactly stack. Since you don't want the pet and want to stay moble I would almost consider looking into the riftstalker instead. You still maintain some mobility through plain shifting, pick up extra AP, and Ruthless Stalker for the 15% crit stacked with your assassin crit makes for some nice numbers. Not to mention the additional defenses you pick up if you happen to get caught in a melee situation. Just food for thought. Critique as you will, happy hunting. =D
    Last edited by Roarnak; 02-11-2011 at 06:18 AM.

Telaran

Sharpshooter would be very nice, can't argue with that. I'm hoping to have enough gear to compensate. I know in wow that crit% is a big deal, and getting that extra 5%, for a total of 10% is very nice. As far as the riftstalker goes, I have other uses in mind, for more of a melee build. Probably rift/sin/? Since i can swap builds in field, I'd rather go all the way as archer in one build, and all the way melee in another, and pick and choose my battles depending on the situation. (That is of course the whole pt of having stealth.) Nothing is more annoying with a rogue than having to walk up and backstab a foe, and then pull in a couple adds. (You probably know what I'm talking about if you've played a rogue. You carefully sneak up on the mob, and sink your dagger in his back, and suddenly a caster is unloading on you, so you start running in terror, and next thing you know 3 mobs are beating on your back, and for giggles the caster decides to root you.) I want the option to fight at range to break up those tricky spawns. With a third build I plan to go to 51 bard, and in my final role, probably go into a real defensive build to tank.
    Last edited by Stormchaser; 02-11-2011 at 08:08 AM.

Telaran

I also think that this is not an early build, more one that I will grow into. To start the game, I'll probably build a ranger/rift/sin, so I can get the early bonus to def, a pet, and be happy with 4 pts in sin for the stealth. I might even forgo stealth altogether, and toss some pts into blade dancer, and be happy with the kellari fox form ability. Post 40 though, a 36 lvl pet just isn't gonna cut it, so I'll be dropping ranger eventually. The +crit is very nice though, and so is the run speed, though not essential, I can always cover that with Bard. However, being able to swap in stealth and sow in same build has some advantages.

I took the time to look at some of your ideas though, and built another sniper build with sab instead of ranger

Of course, it might be better to put no pts in sab, and just keep it for the snare, and then toss 44 into mm, increasing range, and putting the third pt into killer instincts. That way I could have fire and forget, and an extra 5 yrds of range might make a difference against a ranged attacker. If they are shooting at 20 meters, and I'm at 25...

And then again, who knows, it might be more fun to drop mm, and go with a sin/sab/? build. So many possibilities.
    Last edited by Stormchaser; 02-11-2011 at 07:52 AM.

+ Reply to Thread