+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PvP Support Bard (38/7/21) -Bard/Rift/Infil-

Telaran

Default PvP Support Bard (38/7/21) -Bard/Rift/Infil-

This spec is purely pvp based. I do not like much of the Riftstalker abilities but the ones I chose to delve into where the best in my opinion. I have thought about multiple specs including the Bard/Ranger/Infil and the Bard/Rift(Major)/Infil, but neither of these do well for me.

This spec is ideal for PvP in my opinion. Thoughts?

Thanks,
    -dak0r

Shadowlander

having resonance without bardic inspiration is just pointless, you'll spend nearly half your time refreshing motifs, as you have to have 3 of them up at all times to make resonance work, and you'll always be using the heal buffing one and the hot.

unless stealth is really important to you i wouldn't bother putting those last 6 points into infiltrator, 5% speed is pretty useless, even if stacked with the 15% you'll get from barding abilities - most people have ways of making you stay put if they want you to.

i would also use boosted recovery over exceptional resilience, if you're in good pvp gear you'll be getting critted much less in end game via the valor stat or whatever its called. this also makes it so you're constantly receiving a much bigger return from your own healing, making you more annoying to take down. and in pvp - no power chord, no increased finishers?? yes you're support and you're not going to be doing a lot of killing, but you *do* need to be able to defend yourself, and virtuoso-ing your finishing DD ability can get you out of some hairy situations. also took the points out of street performer, as 5% movement is not worth 5 points, and if you're really being smart about it in pvp you'll probably use the spell resistance equally anyway, and the talent only provides an extra 10 points to that.

now in the rift stalker tree in the roots you'll see i've gotten you another shifting ability, that also breaks roots, snares and stuns - much more useful than 5% movement, along with 15% more endurance and a big damage shield. congrats you're a pain in the rear to kill now.

a lot of it just comes down to play style, and what you want to do and how you want to do it - so take my advice with a grain of salt... this is how i envision *myself* playing, not you.

this is what i would do: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...qz.xhx0z.VVb0h

Telaran

I'd have to agree with a lot of that according to my playstyle also. One thing I do not agree on is the 5/5 Deafening music. I rather like being faster than other groups and having 5/5 Street Performer is enjoyable for myself / group.

Updated spec

Thanks,
    -dak0r
    Last edited by dak0r; 02-11-2011 at 01:53 AM.

Shadowlander

I kind of feel like putting 5 points into deafening without having coda of fury might be a waste.
    I wouldnt put so many points into buffing a single target attack when there is such a variety of finishers
    to choose from. Otherwise the build looks pretty cool, i never really thought about pairing the healing bonus from rift with
    the bard heals....something i stupidly overlooked in hindsight.

Gag
    Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by dak0r View Post
    I'd have to agree with a lot of that according to my playstyle also. One thing I do not agree on is the 5/5 Deafening music. I rather like being faster than other groups and having 5/5 Street Performer is enjoyable for myself / group.

Updated spec

Some points...

1) I disagree about Exceptional Resilence, i think this will be a very powerful buff at end game too.

2) In a organized group pvp your job is keep up buffs and debuffs (and of course, heal). Extended grief make this work easier.

3) At end game pvp, with good gear and heals, the hp pool is less important than damage mitigation and hps in this order.

So... i think your build can be improved a lot taking Guardian Phase at cost of one minute more for Break free CD. This is one of the specs i'm considering, very similar to yours:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M....vG00z0c.VVb0b

I don't know if bards will be a popular focus for enemy groups... maybe this build is too defensive.

Rift Disciple

more or less agree with gag, but more emphasis on barding:

44 BRD/18 RS/4 INF

Gag
    Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodytrailz View Post
    more or less agree with gag, but more emphasis on barding:

44 BRD/18 RS/4 INF
    This is another good option but... i'm not sure about the eficiency of Take Cover... In fact, i think it is the worst tier1 pvp talent of all souls.

Rift Master

You do realize that each rank after rank 1 you will need to be a certain PvP rank to use.

Having said that, I would not go that far into infiltrator, as riftstalker offers far more get out of snare/stun abilities. Furthermore, if you want to cap on movement speed, then I would suggest Marksmen. They have some rather nice movement buffs.

Not sure whether I want to go MM with point up to Getaway, or just put all my points in Bard/Riftstalker, and go with Sab at 0

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Gag View Post
    This is another good option but... i'm not sure about the eficiency of Take Cover... In fact, i think it is the worst tier1 pvp talent of all souls.
    Large scale PVP a lot of AOE's get thrown around, for warfronting, prolly better options, i always think for large scale PVP when i make builds to >.>;;

those 4 pts could be put anywhere really, pick up blade dancer, +8% dodge and +50% dodge buff .. night blade, +4 points gives u better cadence healing + basic stealth .. whatev, or just drop them into rift stalker or bard =p

I would go 44 for the insta heal for full support but no more.
    Briarcliff I make em scream.

Quote Originally Posted by Selenity View Post
    I'm not sure if you are talking to him or me. But I do care. I even care about what would bring you to the place that you would put such pictures on your profile.

Quote Originally Posted by MopDaddy View Post
    I would go 44 for the insta heal for full support but no more.
    This man speaks truth. For PvP I think 44 is about as far as you should ever go in Bard.

This is the build I'm looking at going with right now. No Infiltrator but I'm not sure the PvP souls are going to be that much of a necessity early on. On my build I went with the increase to AP over Armor but that's just me. Like others have said - if your survival is your biggest worry then pumping more points in Riftstalker may be a good idea.
    Author of Support Bard Guide and Officer of Nuln Highway Boys

Telaran

Thank you all for the responses. I appreciate them all.

That being said. I have to disagree about improved rift guard. I'd rather have the base 10% HP to rely upon compared to a cast effect. I do, however, 100% agree on the fact that I was too hasty taking out the Exceptional Resilience from my previous build. I will be sure to have 2/2 in that talent now. Another thing I am now removing, essentially, is Power Chord.

On the subject of having the PvP spec require ranks, that will not be an issue for me. This spec is more as a scope for what I'll be trying to accomplish at end game. Meaning, I will not have a problem obtaining such ranks because, well, I'm a badass. Also, I will not remove anything from the Infiltrator spec that I have put in there. I think it is 100% necessary to have 3/3 Improved Break Free and not to mention have Anathema as a standard to completely support target destruction.

On the subject of going 44 Bard/x/x - I agree this will be necessary until I obtain the PvP ranking necessary to complete my end game spec. I will probably end up doing a 44/22/0 until I am able to delve into the Cleanse Soul skill. Overall though, endgame, I do not see 44 bard being viable, you do not get enough while losing too much.

Here is my new spec.

*edit* Also, according to the leaked alpha patch notes, our aoe mezz should be brought from 2 minute cooldown, to 30 seconds. I am very happy about this.

Thanks,
    -dak0r
    Last edited by dak0r; 02-11-2011 at 02:05 PM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Langston View Post
    This man speaks truth. For PvP I think 44 is about as far as you should ever go in Bard.

This is the build I'm looking at going with right now. No Infiltrator but I'm not sure the PvP souls are going to be that much of a necessity early on. On my build I went with the increase to AP over Armor but that's just me. Like others have said - if your survival is your biggest worry then pumping more points in Riftstalker may be a good idea.
    how much does verse of vitality heal for? (with the passive % healing)

also do you and mop have some vids to check out for pvp/open field or wf?
    Last edited by johnny5; 02-11-2011 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny5 View Post
    how much does verse of vitality heal for? (with the passive % healing)

also do you and mop have some vids to check out for pvp/open field or wf?
    It baselines for 483 to 489, so with 15% you're looking at 562. None of us have any experience with it yet and won't until the game goes live. I can't speak for Mop but I don't have any videos. I don't know to make them or edit them to where they would be watchable.
    Last edited by Langston; 02-11-2011 at 04:02 PM.
    Author of Support Bard Guide and Officer of Nuln Highway Boys

+ Reply to Thread