+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Riftstalker PVE tank suprise!?

Default Riftstalker PVE tank suprise!?

I wonder if using Defer Death (38 root) followed by Scatter the Shadows (51 root) would effectively make your Riftstalker tank immune to all damage for 15 seconds? ie, would scatter shadows make you immune to the damage dump from defer death?

hmmmmmm.......

Part of me completely hopes not, just because of how... for lack of a better word... exploitable this would be. I hate how I can't really refer to any other MMO's but WoW is my only real fall back for experience, but it has some amazingly great examples of where such a skill would be a deal breaker when comparing a Riftstalker to any other Tank. On many Tank centric fights, those that really push the Tanks hard in terms of the gear/spec they bring as well as how they play, tend to frequent and significant OH SHI- moments. If I could cut even half of those OH SHI- moments in half by simply chaining these CDs, even if I'm taking moderately more damage than the other Tanks in the much easier to Heal interim, why the hell would you NOT bring a Riftstalker to ease that strain? Lemme just cancel out a few of those Soul Reapers (Heroic Lich King) for you guys and have other CDs ready for the rest of them... sheesh... stupidly strong...

I don't know what the Devs intend with this at all, but I can't imagine they would want us taking an attack that the Tanks are MEANT to eat and survive that doubles as a Tank gear/spec check as well as a Healer reaction/skill check and just ignore it completely. Some Bosses just wouldn't be anything more than a huge loot pinata if you were to remove the danger of a burst gib on the Tank since they have so few other mechanics.

Plus... I don't wanna give up all my juicy points in other Souls just to get a gimmicky skill that'll likely get nerfed or changed. :P

ive been trying to find that out, but no luck so far. most likely we will have to wait till release.

i havent had a chance to tank on a riftstalker yet, but i wll be pretty sweet to instigitate ----> shadow assault to pull and turn the mob by porting behind them.

Quote Originally Posted by Azath View Post
    i havent had a chance to tank on a riftstalker yet, but i wll be pretty sweet to instigitate ----> shadow assault to pull and turn the mob by porting behind them.
    they are great tanks so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Azath View Post
    I wonder if using Defer Death (38 root) followed by Scatter the Shadows (51 root) would effectively make your Riftstalker tank immune to all damage for 15 seconds? ie, would scatter shadows make you immune to the damage dump from defer death?

hmmmmmm.......
    Seems overpowered and unintended, doesn't it. I expect it won't work, or it'll be quickly nerfed.

What might stay working is Defer Death plus the Warlord ability No Permission to Die. (Insta-resurrection every 5 minutes). Long cooldown + 2 specific tank builds required... looks more like a "nice reward for those that notice it".

(Especially since I'm expecting the Optimal Raid Tanking Team to turn out to include at least 1 warrior plus at least 1 not-warrior in any case...)

The skills description of Defer Death says : "Delays all incoming damage for the next 10 seconds"
    Does it make you immune or do you get all the damage after 10 sec? To me delaying is different from being immune to something.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Yemong View Post
    The skills description of Defer Death says : "Delays all incoming damage for the next 10 seconds"
    Does it make you immune or do you get all the damage after 10 sec? To me delaying is different from being immune to something.
    Yes it only delays, giving u a damage dump afterr ten seconds. But th OP talking about combining that with the 51 point root ability to take no damage for 5 seconds. There by negating the damage dump and taking no damage for 14 seconds.

Plane Walker

Even if it weren't the case, imagine stacking it with Planar Refuge.

I also wonder after Defer Death is done, if snares and other CC abilities are enabled.

This will all have to be tested in release ;3

Rift Disciple

Going from the descriptions this seems obviously intended. Using defer death alone would be a death sentence. You take no damage for 10 seconds, then get it all in one big hit. I do not see how defer death could in anyway be useful without scatter the shadows.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyveth View Post
    Going from the descriptions this seems obviously intended. Using defer death alone would be a death sentence. You take no damage for 10 seconds, then get it all in one big hit. I do not see how defer death could in anyway be useful without scatter the shadows.
    Not exactly.

Unless you take more damage than your health provides, you'll still be standing.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by sinasdf View Post
    Even if it weren't the case, imagine stacking it with Planar Refuge.

I also wonder after Defer Death is done, if snares and other CC abilities are enabled.

This will all have to be tested in release ;3
    Based on the new leaks planar refuge only does 30%, not 50% anymore.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by shawnlavoie View Post
    based on the new leaks planar refuge only does 30%, not 50% anymore.
    ffffuuuuuuuu

wait...I don't see anything about riftstalkers...
    Last edited by sinasdf; 02-11-2011 at 03:38 PM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by sinasdf View Post
    ffffuuuuuuuu

wait...I don't see anything about riftstalkers...
    There's a new one out there. Look around. Up to 60% extra health for 51 pt. Builds. Extra armor. It looks like we will all be 51 point RS AND 8 pt. Ranger and the rest in bard.

Plane Walker

oh my god, major nerfs to Marksman

:'(

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast