+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bard, Ranger, and then what?

Default Bard, Ranger, and then what?

Just curious to suggestion on 3rd soul options for this combination. Myself, I want a WoW Hunter-like with support spells but I would like to know about options for other niches or strategies, too. Currently my rogue is Bard/Ranger/Nightblade as game suggests. I first tried Riftstalker for the teleporting ranger in one of the promo videos but it felt like a subtlety rogue to me; Neither is my cup of tea.
    Last edited by laudanum; 02-10-2011 at 10:42 AM.
    from Faeblight.

Quote Originally Posted by laudanum View Post
    Just curious to suggestion on 3rd soul options for this combination. Myself, I want a WoW Hunter-like with support spells but I would like to know about options for other niches or strategies, too. Currently my rogue is Bard/Ranger/Nightblade as game suggests. I first tried Riftstalker, felt like a subtlety rogue to me; Neither is my cup of tea.
    Marksman mate. Think of Ranger as a base line Hunter with the pet, ranged attacks and some PvP utility. Add in Marksman for even more manuverability in PvP, a neat rock to stand on for added damage in PvE and a wider variety of hard hitting ranged attacks.
    The mind of a perfect man is like a mirror. It grasps nothing. It expects nothing. It reflects but does not hold. Therefore, the perfect man can act without effort.
    New battle theme for the awesome racial changes: Big bouncing Bhami, bravely bounding by bizarre beasts, before battle begins.

Your third soul is really about the zero point abilities and what passive abilities will enhance your main and secondary souls. People have this perception that because they are choosing a soul that they actively have to assume the roles of that soul. There are a lot of first tier passive abilities that supplement other souls very well without having to invest active use of that soul. That being said with a few points in the third soul goes a long way in increasing dps or effectiveness of your other two.

For example, let's assume that you have 10 points leftover after the first two souls to invest into the third:

Assassin - Ruthlessness 5/5 (+5% Crit), Serrated Blades 3/3 (Bleed Effect, which synergizes well with Ranger Bleed bonuses), Murderous Intent 2/2 (+4% Physical Damage)

Marksman - Keen Eye 5/5 (Increased Range), Increased Fire Power 5/5 (AP Bonus on Crit), and really Sharpshooter 3/3 (+3% Hit) or Repelling Shot aren't bad options either.

Nightblade - Blazing Fury 5/5 (Increased Damage), Coup De Grace (Increased Damage)

Saboteur - Doesn't offer much to the Ranger other than the Nimble Fingers 5/5 (Increased DEX), but don't underestimate its zero point abilities.

Shadowlander

If bard is your primary soul, nightblade and riftstalker work well as secondary and tertiary souls. Nightblade further increases the dmg and healing of your abilities, and you can get some more defensive strength out of taking riftstalker.

Plane Touched

if your going bard/ranger i would have to say nightblade is the best choice for 3rd soul. Helps dmg a decent amount.

Rift Disciple

Real question is how many soul points are you planning on putting into your 3rd Soul?

Telaran

Here are my thoughts:

- Sab makes a decent 0 point for the AE slow

- Assassin makes a decent 4 point 3rd for final blow and stealth, though I am not all that hyped on the stealth mechanics in the game yet... have to wait and see. Cadence + Final blow makes a good low level rotation for when you get swarmed in rift battles.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine13x7 View Post
    if your going bard/ranger i would have to say nightblade is the best choice for 3rd soul. Helps dmg a decent amount.
    I would agree with this. The extra help with damage from Nightblade is always helpful. It will make your Ranger shots hit harder and your Cadence/Codas hit/heal for more. If you are looking for a 0pt ability though go with Saboteur. For no investment you get a 70% AoE snare. That's nothing to laugh at for doing nothing more than a maybe 15min quest.
    Author of Support Bard Guide and Officer of Nuln Highway Boys

Shadowlander

How is this for a bard/ranger/nightblade build?

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...koz.Eho0uzz.Vo

NightBlade. At least 8 points in it. You want to maximize Cadence since it is used a ton.

Soulwalker

I want to add as a side note for your build: it looks like the ranger starter pet is only leveling until level 30. Then its getting more and more useless. I created a very similar build but removed the ranger after i heard that. I hope this will change though.

I also think that the last bard heal (the one you get when you invest 44 points) is very important. It looks like a real strong "oh ****"-button.

I replaced it with the riftstalker who brings some nice additions:
    +15% Attack Power. Not bad! Especially because our AP is calculated from Dex + Str it looks better than the saboteurs dex-only increase.
    +30% incoming heal. Main healers will love you and your self heal with cadence while leveling also hits harder and helps you to stay alive.
    +2 Planeshifting abilities which increase your movement capabilities by a huge degree. Especially if you combine them with things like 15% more crit für 10seks after planeshifting.
    -Rift Disturbance sounds cool, too. AE Debuff, for up to 10 enemies around you. More support abilities for the support character!

Nightstalker(with 8 Points) also adds some nice skills:
    -Stealth!
    -Lost Hope: a little bit of CC for instance groups is never wrong!
    -Infinite(ranged) Disorient with Ebon Terror if needed.

My PvE/Instance Build is that one: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...iqskqz.Vhhc.Vh

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Kulin View Post
    I want to add as a side note for your build: it looks like the ranger starter pet is only leveling until level 30. Then its getting more and more useless. I created a very similar build but removed the ranger after i heard that. I hope this will change though.

I also think that the last bard heal (the one you get when you invest 44 points) is very important. It looks like a real strong "oh ****"-button.

My PvE/Instance Build is that one: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...iqskqz.Vhhc.Vh
    So I played a ranger a bit last beta, and the max pet level is only the initial rank of the skill. When you upgrade the skill at the trainer it ups the max level of the pet. So I think that pet level max thing listed on the tooltip on Zam is somewhat misleading.

I would probably change to something like your build for raiding anyway. Pets really are best while soloing IMHO. I'm not sure about PVP, probably go bard/rift/sab for that.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by barruktp View Post
    So I played a ranger a bit last beta, and the max pet level is only the initial rank of the skill. When you upgrade the skill at the trainer it ups the max level of the pet. So I think that pet level max thing listed on the tooltip on Zam is somewhat misleading.

I would probably change to something like your build for raiding anyway. Pets really are best while soloing IMHO. I'm not sure about PVP, probably go bard/rift/sab for that.
    A few level 35 rangers have stated that the first pet caps at 30... according to them you can't train it past that level. In fact, when you get the pet at level 0 its level caps at 16 I think. It has to be trained to even get the level 30 cap.

I only made it to level 23 so I don't know either way, but the thread is here: http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...ger-pet-levels

It appears that if the pet is going to be a big factor in your build, you are going to have to take Ranger to at least 24.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Bluejay View Post
    A few level 35 rangers have stated that the first pet caps at 30... according to them you can't train it past that level. In fact, when you get the pet at level 0 its level caps at 16 I think. It has to be trained to even get the level 30 cap.

I only made it to level 23 so I don't know either way, but the thread is here: http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...ger-pet-levels

It appears that if the pet is going to be a big factor in your build, you are going to have to take Ranger to at least 24.
    That being the case, I think the greater dire wolf you get at 22 points should be scalable up to 50, it would not make sense for there to be only one max level pet. Also the 40 point and 44 point roots on Bard only seem important in raid settings, and I would not slot ranger for a raid anyway.

So this is what I am thinking for solo and small group PVE:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...oz.Eho0uMzo.Vo

Shadowlander

I don't see a lot of bards taking the last point, but it seems like it would be very nice as a support build for raids, BGs.

This is my build http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M___

Full bard for all the love that it offers!
    13 in NB for the help is gives to the bard abilities ( had to take two in Coup De Grace to get in extra 3% damage to my attacks )
    ranger for the pet, DUH! had two extra points so i put them in extra crit chance.

comments?

edit: did not know about the pet getting sucky after lvl 30 hehe, i will change that later.
    Last edited by Swyft; 02-11-2011 at 12:22 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast