+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: So.. Final blow vs Impale..

Default So.. Final blow vs Impale..

Just wondering... which one of these is considered to be the "better" one?
    "..Amonkira, Lord of Hunters. Grant that my hands be steady, my aim be true, and my feet swift. And should the worst come to pass, grant me forgiveness..."

Quote Originally Posted by Vespera View Post
    This is incorrect. Every European server listed on these forums is an English language sever, as are our forums.

Shadowlander

impale does more damage over time (dps), final blow does more damage now (burst)

Use both.

I sometimes opt for jagged strike instead of paralyzing strike even.

I have the talents that extend the duration of bleeds, so its a lot of hilarity to open like: jagged -- > foul play -- > puncture -- > backstab -- > 5 point impale, then proceed with usual stuff.

The combined dots tick for about 250 a second (~100-120ish on impale, 70ish on jagged, 80ish on puncture - off my memory), plus serrated blades on top of that. It provides a nice sustained dps flow to pad against their heals.

If its a hard target like a warrior, pop some defensive cooldown and watch them bleed to death. Or work up to 5 points, refresh impale and slip away and watch them die to bleeding.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    Use both.

I have the talents that extend the duration of bleeds, so its a lot of hilarity to open like: jagged -- > foul play -- > puncture -- > backstab -- > 5 point impale, then proceed with usual stuff.

The combined dots tick for about 250 a second (~100-120ish on impale, 70ish on jagged, 80ish on puncture - off my memory), plus serrated blades on top of that. It provides a nice sustained dps flow to pad against their heals.

If its a hard target like a warrior, pop some defensive cooldown and watch them bleed to death. Or work up to 5 points, refresh impale and slip away and watch them die to bleeding.
    Ahh yes - problem is, that my build hasn't been focused on those bleeds, since having them bleed for longer, only stretches out the damage, instead of doing more damage pr tick. Or does Physical Trauma also affect impales damage? Of not, I cant really see the good side on having damage spreaden out on even more ticks, making the "initial dmg pr tick" lower... if you get what I mean?
    "..Amonkira, Lord of Hunters. Grant that my hands be steady, my aim be true, and my feet swift. And should the worst come to pass, grant me forgiveness..."

This is incorrect. Every European server listed on these forums is an English language sever, as are our forums.

I could see a good opening attack sequence on group mobs where you are not getting aggro being...

Jagged strike -> puncture -> Impale

Fiery Spike x3 -> Dusk Strike -> Final Blow

After that choose to use your backstabs, other moves etc while keeping impale and fiery spike on the mob for constant bleed / dot damage.

This would be for 42 Assassin / 14 Nightblade / 10 Bladedancer
    Last edited by Fiasco3; 02-10-2011 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Amonkira View Post
    I cant really see the good side on having damage spreaden out on even more ticks, making the "initial dmg pr tick" lower... if you get what I mean?
    I'm not sure I follow you, here.

If you have an ability that (hypothetically) ticks for 1200 over 6 seconds, and you get something that increases the duration to 9 seconds, that doesn't mean it ticks for 1200 over 9 seconds. The per tick value remains the same, and you get an extra three seconds of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Amonkira View Post
    Just wondering... which one of these is considered to be the "better" one?
    The question is better for what?

For sustained DPS on a target that is going to live longer than 18 seconds(talented) after you use the ability it will be the better one. On boss fights you will be using both Impale and Final Blow, so long as you do not clip existing Impale with new one. Impale is also the better option against warriors and justicars in PVP due to their high armor.

Final blow is more bursty, if you can end the fight with it there and then - you use it. It is also great on squishies in PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyera View Post
    I'm not sure I follow you, here.

If you have an ability that (hypothetically) ticks for 1200 over 6 seconds, and you get something that increases the duration to 9 seconds, that doesn't mean it ticks for 1200 over 9 seconds. The per tick value remains the same, and you get an extra three seconds of it.
    Are you sure? Because it only says that it raises the duration of it, not the damage, meaning that:

1200 over 6 seconds: 200 pr tick

1200 over 9 seconds: 133,3 pr tick..

UNLESS it also raises the damage accordingly...

Yeah, I'm telling you that's not how it works. Otherwise there'd be literally no point.

It's like how taking the Motif duration enhancer for Bard doesn't halve the ticks of the regen Motif, but instead doubles the duration with the same tick value.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    Use both.

Take Riftstalker soul and kite them while doing /lol

That's what I did in WoW atleast. )

Rift Disciple

I had the same question about increased duration of bleeds. The tooltop specifically says it just increases the duration, but not the damage. I would assume it just gives you extra time of the same ticks, but it isn't really clear. If it doesn't tick for normal damage on the extra duration they should just remove the talent and change it to DECREASE the time your dots tick, so the damage is squished closer.

Quote Originally Posted by Katana622 View Post
    I had the same question about increased duration of bleeds. The tooltop specifically says it just increases the duration, but not the damage. I would assume it just gives you extra time of the same ticks, but it isn't really clear. If it doesn't tick for normal damage on the extra duration they should just remove the talent and change it to DECREASE the time your dots tick, so the damage is squished closer.
    Indeed. But I am going to try those abilities out anyways

Soulwalker

Yes, it says it increases duration and no mention about damage. But think about it in other way, if it only increased duration that would mean reducing dmg per tick, which then should be mentioned in tooltip that it decreases damage. In this case, it doesnt say it creases damage because you could say damage is the same on per tick basis. You still get dot doing for example 200 dmg, just doing it more, but not for more dmg.

So if you did 200 dmg per tick 5 times and now you do 200 dmg per tick but 7 times, it means duration is longer, but dmg per tick stays the same, not increased nor decreased.

Pretty much like in WoW. it would be completely illogical to do it in any other way.
    I can see what you see notó
    Vision milky, then eyes rot.
    When you turn, they will be gone,
    Whispering their hidden song.

Then you see what cannot beó
    Shadows move where light should be.
    Out of darkness, out of mind,
    Cast down into the Halls of the Blind.

Quote Originally Posted by Katana622 View Post
    Or better yet, decrease time between dot ticks, but extend total dot duration, while keeping per tick damage the same as untalented one ;)

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Killyox View Post
    Yes, it says it increases duration and no mention about damage. But think about it in other way, if it only increased duration that would mean reducing dmg per tick, which then should be mentioned in tooltip that it decreases damage. In this case, it doesnt say it creases damage because you could say damage is the same on per tick basis. You still get dot doing for example 200 dmg, just doing it more, but not for more dmg.

So if you did 200 dmg per tick 5 times and now you do 200 dmg per tick but 7 times, it means duration is longer, but dmg per tick stays the same, not increased nor decreased.

Pretty much like in WoW. it would be completely illogical to do it in any other way.
    I haven't had a chance to play rogues yet, so ignore me if this is a silly question. I was reading up on the class and found this thread. Do rogues have any attacks that do more damage while the target has a bleed effect on them? If so, you may want to test DoT damage to see if it really stays the same per tick with the increased duration. The point of extending it may be to give you more time to use other attacks. They seem to like that sort of ability synergy in this game.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast