+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Riftstalker Stalker Strategy for Whitefall and other 'CTF' warfronts [LONG]

Plane Walker

Default Riftstalker Stalker Strategy for Whitefall and other 'CTF' warfronts [LONG]

For those of you expecting to play your rogue as primarily a damage dealer in instances, consider reading this and recognizing a valuable and important role that you can play. This is a detailed guide in the Riftstalker abilities tailored towards damage mitigation, anti-CC and speed. At the bottom I included a 10-step generalized process as to how you can approach Whitefall and get your team much needed flags points.

The durability of this class is mindblowing and in ways OP, but it's a class that is extremely useful in 'Flag' or 'CTF' warfronts such as Whitefall or Black Garden. It's also useful as a class to guard flags in Codex (constantly attack point grabbers)

The current build I have at the moment is listed here. It's based on level 35 pre-req only, however.
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0McpT.x0z.xGx0tVfokz

Below I'll reveal the abilities of the Riftstalker in the aspects of Speed, damage mitigation and anti-CC.

Plane Shifting/Speed
    The great thing about riftstalker are their planeshifting abilities. Rather than direct speed buffs, you can teleport/fly quickly and almost instantaneously. The Riftstalker has FOUR planeshifting abilities, each with a different range. Nonetheless, by using each of these plane shifting abilities, for 2 seconds after the ability, your speed is increased by 40%. Also, if you are specced as an Elf, you gain a flying skill that teleports you roughly 15-20 meters when out of combat. It's useful when you are just out of reach of enemies. There are also other racial abilities out there that have speed buffs ranging from 30% to 70%.

Damage Mitigation
    Riftstalker has some impressive damage mitigation. For 15 seconds after plane shifting, an ability called Rift Barrier activates (only when Rift Guard is not active, which is only useful when you are attacking). This Rift Barrier absorbs 25% of dmg to up to 50% of your health. As a level 35 with about 4700 HP (all buffs, with endurance gear), I absorbed somewhere around 2200 HP. You can literally be in Rift Barrier permanently since your four plane shifting abilities do not share a CD. Want more? You are also immune to being CC'd for 2 seconds (Freedom of Movement), which is helpful when you planeshift from enemies and they immediately decide to put CC abilities on you.

Oh, did I also mention there is an ability to reduce damage by another 50%, for 8 seconds (Planar Refuge)?!

Anti-CC
    In addition to Freedom of Movement, there are other ways to hasten your escape from the enemy, as well as present some hurdles to them. Largely these are from your other soul specs, but I find that the Riftstalker ability, Rift Prison, does wonders. Rift Prison freezes enemy targets in place and makes them immune. This ability should be used when you have an enemy chasing you down. Activate Rift Prison, use plane shifting abilities, and you gain an extra 5-6 seconds on him. It's also great that the CD is only 20 seconds, so if that same enemy decides to mount up and chase you down, you'll most likely have Rift Prison up to escape once again.

Complimentary Specs

Bard (6 points) - Anthem of Glory, Good Health. I highly suggest Bard since it increases your health, endurance and armor value.

Saboteur (0 points) - Adhesive Bomb, an AOE slow, great for putting it down as you escape, or if you have melee attacking you. Great 15 seconds CD.

Ranger (6 points) - Crippling Shot, reduces movement speed by 50% for 6 seconds. Can be applied repeatedly to keep the target crippled continuously. (5 points can also be used to increase your health by 5%)

Marksman (0 points) - Hasted Shot, increases your speed by 30% for 6 seconds (must have an enemy target). Stacks up to 5 times (not sure if the speed gets stacked as well).

Disadvantages
    -Absolutely putrid offense - You will have a difficult time killing people, which can present a huge problem when your opponent's flag is guarded. Best way to combat this is to have a few DPS classes to draw away enemies. Or you can go in as a Assassin/Nightblade build to get the stealth ability (both require 4 points). If you only have 1 enemy to deal with, use Rift Prison to CC them for 6 seconds.

What I did in beta was go into the compound as a Riftstalker and quickly scout around. If there were enemies, I'd switch my role to Marksmen and try and take them out as fast as possible.

10-point plan on successfully grabbing and delivering the flag

1.) Get to the center of the map (ice pond) or the grassy area infront of your faction's compound. Activate Memory Capture (activates point for Flashback planeshifting).

2.) Head to the side opposite of enemy's spawn and scout the area
    a.) Are there no enemies? - Grab the flag
    b.) Is there one enemy? - Activate Rift Prison on the enemy and grab the flag
    c.) Are there multiple enemies?
    -Kill them with any allies present and hope you can sneak in a flag capture while they fight -or-
    -If you have assassin/nightblade spec, go in stealthed and hope you can capture it before they react

3.) After grabbing the flag, if you can see a green orb, run to it quickly as it grants a speed buff.

4.) Exit through the front entrance and place the Adhesive Bomb at the entrance if enemies have spotted you (the path is narrow enough that the enemy must go through the Adhesive bomb in order to get to you, rather than going around it)

4.) If you have yet to be attacked, use your racial speed abilities if you have them

5.) Once you are attacked by an enemy, activate Shadow Shift

6.) If still being chased with enemies nearby, activate Shadow Warp

7. At this point you should be nearing the center of the map. Activate Flashback. Congratulations, you just disappeared from their sight.

8.) If you notice allies/enemies in front of you, use the planeshifting ability Shadow Stalk. It makes you appear behind them (tool tip says 20meter range but it is bugged, it's more like 10 meters). BE CAREFUL using this ability as it makes you face the opposite way if enemies are coming towards you.

9.) If you haven't been attacked, your racial abilities should be available again, use them.

10.) If you continue to be attacked on your way back to the compound, use Adhesive Bomb again and Rift Prison, both of which should be available. Best to use the front entrance as the path is narrow.

At this point you should be infront of the compound and have several allies helping you out. One of your planeshifting abilities should be available again and you can use it at your discretion.

Questions, comments and strategies to share are welcome

Personal i like the idea of this spec and all its defensive tool, but how ever i will comment on those i feel most of this great abilities should scale more on the amount of points put into this spec and the reason I'm saying this is for instance during last beta i came across a Bard who specs in to this and that bloke was near on impossible to kill. This might change more at 50 of course but being able to pick a class that can heal a little and then just be as tanky as a tank does seem bit wrong.
    Neurosis - Assassin - Giving Guardians Free Favor Since Beta

Telaran

I prefer a more aggressive spec. I have a 28th Riftstalker/Assassin/Saboteur.
    The Spec still miss some dmg output but you can actually kill people without other dps..unless it's a tank or a healer!
    My preferred way is: 1- hide, 2- shift at the back of target, 3- Assassinate, 4- Puncture, 5- one more combo point, 6- Finisher.
    The problem with Riftstalker is that your combo point grew up very slowly compared to other dps! But you have also more survability! Add to this that building abilities targeting you abort when you shift at the back of your enemy.
    To those things you said I can add a +15% crit chance after shifting taht means that Assassinate usually hit for a crit!
    If anytime I have low HP I'll shift behind my healers line.

nice post, ts.

This is pretty much how I was looking to setup up my fourth role, though I think my main Bard/Riftstalker spec may cover /most/ of these points, plus ofc the 20% in-combat movement speed off Bard. :3

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by algol80 View Post
    I prefer a more aggressive spec. I have a 28th Riftstalker/Assassin/Saboteur.
    The Spec still miss some dmg output but you can actually kill people without other dps..unless it's a tank or a healer!
    My preferred way is: 1- hide, 2- shift at the back of target, 3- Assassinate, 4- Puncture, 5- one more combo point, 6- Finisher.
    The problem with Riftstalker is that your combo point grew up very slowly compared to other dps! But you have also more survability! Add to this that building abilities targeting you abort when you shift at the back of your enemy.
    To those things you said I can add a +15% crit chance after shifting taht means that Assassinate usually hit for a crit!
    If anytime I have low HP I'll shift behind my healers line.
    Well this is only a build for a level 35, and right now I invested most of the abilities into Riftstalker's tanking abilities. The rest of the points for the remaining 15 levels can certainly be used for DPS, which makes this class quite terrifying at end game.

Quote Originally Posted by serenics View Post
    Personal i like the idea of this spec and all its defensive tool, but how ever i will comment on those i feel most of this great abilities should scale more on the amount of points put into this spec and the reason I'm saying this is for instance during last beta i came across a Bard who specs in to this and that bloke was near on impossible to kill. This might change more at 50 of course but being able to pick a class that can heal a little and then just be as tanky as a tank does seem bit wrong.
    You mean like a Justicar? or perhaps a Pally/Reaver?

Quote Originally Posted by serenics View Post
    i came across a Bard who specs in to this and that bloke was near on impossible to kill. This might change more at 50 of course but being able to pick a class that can heal a little and then just be as tanky as a tank does seem bit wrong.
    I thought the same thing about rift/bard being a tank with no turret. Just transports people.
    I'll throw marksman on my first character to see how often i can stay in speed mode.
    Me: Zamphir Pet: Panflute
    Bard / Ranger / Rift
    If Bards get faster for every point over 36 (full Bard)

Riftstalker just got an overhaul in the latest patch, might want to wait before trying to settle on a build.

Telaran

yeah now they scale much better than they used to, their tanking starts out insanely good at level 20 before and was slowly dropping off after 30 now that we get the same as the warrior tanks did where when you spend more points your defensive ability goes up it really should help.
    Last edited by Maethor; 02-11-2011 at 07:43 PM.

Soulwalker

In my experience so far I have been able to play a rogue both as a support/cc and primary dd in instances, given I have only done iron tomb so far. Right before the last beta ended, me and my buddy hit 20 and did it. He was a tank, then we had our healer, a mage dps, and a ranger dps who didnt want to switch. Having played other mmos before and realizing its importance, I switched to my melee role for support and cc. For the trash pulls I played the melee spec I have been using, sab/as/nb, and for bosses I used my dps build, marks/range/sab. For the melee spec I have improved stealth and TWO saps, meaning for every pull I was able to take out two enemies for 30 seconds before we even pulled, and then with my sab skills I was able to do a decent amount of burst damage on the mobs that were left. Once we got to the bosses I switched over to my ranged build and dealt out the pain. IMO rogues should be boss dps and support/cc for trash pulls.

+ Reply to Thread