+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Needing assistance with Rogue build, please? :)

Default Needing assistance with Rogue build, please? :)

Hey folks...

I'm thinking that for live, I want to do a Marksman / Ranger but I can't decide what the third soul should be. I've got it narrowed down to two, either Saboteur or Riftstalker, but I'm not sure which would be best. I'm looking for what would have the most synergy combined with Marksman and Ranger, and hopefully not at the loss of a bit of utility.

That said I could be completely lost here. I'm open for suggestions on what sort of build I should have for the three souls as I am more than willing to point out that I have a lot to learn about the nuances in the soul system that Rift offers.

Anyone willing to part with advice for souls, and suggested builds? I would deeply appreciate it. Thank you!

Rift Chaser

Do you want to be a pet user or more of a dedicated archer? Saboteur and Riftstalker don't really go well with the archer souls. You'd be better off scaling your damage up significantly with either the Nightblade or Assassin soul. Use weapon enchantments and item procs to their fullest.

Quote Originally Posted by airflow View Post
    Do you want to be a pet user or more of a dedicated archer? Saboteur and Riftstalker don't really go well with the archer souls. You'd be better off scaling your damage up significantly with either the Nightblade or Assassin soul. Use weapon enchantments and item procs to their fullest.
    Excellent question, and this is precisely why I'm happy for the help. This is one of those things I had not really considered fully.

I think I'd rather be more of a dedicated archer, but not at a complete neglect of pets, if that makes sense? I'm not sure how to explain it exactly. I want to have the focus as archer, but I don't want to focus on it to the point that it makes the pet a negligible or minor aspect. Does that help?

In looking at the Saboteur, I wondered about the synergy there..it seemed like a sort of "ranged" (I use that connotation loosely here) class which might work with the Marksman / Ranger, but I wasn't entirely sure. I did like the utility it provided, with respect to alternative means of achieving damage.

How would the Assassin or Nightblade mesh with a ranged set of souls? I thought those were both exclusively melee souls. Is there something there I'm missing? Or is there a dedicated purpose in taking one or the other of those?

Rift Chaser

The nightblade and assassin souls both have weapon enchantments that currently work with ranged weapons. They deal quite a bit of damage. Saboteur is more of an all or nothing soul because of the way it plays. I could see someone stacking charges, weakening with marksman and then detonating for the kill though.

Below is a solid archer build with a pet that is capable of tanking the lower levels.
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...o.E0toVzV0dR.V
    Last edited by airflow; 02-09-2011 at 08:29 PM.

There are passive talents in most/all of the souls that don't tie into the specific mechanics of that soul. Nightblade has a tier 1 talent that increases the damage of combo-point generating abilities by 15%, for example. If you were going to play a primary Nightblade, perhaps you would be more interested in the other five points you could spend in the first tier to augment Primal Strike (the spammable Nightblade combo point builder) and Blazing Strike (the first Nightblade finisher), instead. If you were using Nightblade to support and strengthen another soul, however, the 15% would work great to do that. And so on with talents in the rest of the souls. The melee trees have many great passive boosts like that to allow them to support the ranged builds.

Saboteur is something of a special ranged class. While Ranger and Marks use combo point generating shots and finishers, Sabos have their own type: charges and Detonate (which explodes those charges). Because it is such a different soul, it really doesn't have many of the type of passive general purpose damage talents I mentioned above. If you're only looking for a third soul to boost the damage of your first or first+second souls, Saboteur is often not a great choice.

Plane Touched

you cant go wrong with marksman/ranger for PvE

the 3rd soul really wont matter much until later levels. In the beginning bard would be fine for a little heal or riftstalker for the free teleport.

Once you level past 30 then you can worry about the 3rd soul and what few points you would put into it. By then you should have all the souls.

You can't get healing out of Bard until you put 6-8 points in it for the heal on Cadence or 12 for Motif of Regen. That's a very significant investment while leveling. If you put one point in your primary tree every level, 0 in your third tree and all remaining points in your second tree, you'll get to level 18 before you put a 6th point in the secondary, level 24 to have 8 points, and level 36 before you can get 12. Tossing a couple points in bard for a heal isn't going to work.

You can get a weapon poison from Assassin at zero points, a teleport from Riftstalker, or a short duration 50% dodge buff from Blade Dancer. Or a pet with 0 points in Ranger, if you weren't already speccing Ranger. The other 0 point or "couple points" bonuses aren't very useful.

I agree with yewkon that you probably want to pick a tree with a useful 0pt bonus for your third soul and then ignore it until you're much higher in level, though.

Reg

Quote Originally Posted by CulannHS View Post
    Hey folks...

I'm thinking that for live, I want to do a Marksman / Ranger but I can't decide what the third soul should be. I've got it narrowed down to two, either Saboteur or Riftstalker, but I'm not sure which would be best. I'm looking for what would have the most synergy combined with Marksman and Ranger, and hopefully not at the loss of a bit of utility.

That said I could be completely lost here. I'm open for suggestions on what sort of build I should have for the three souls as I am more than willing to point out that I have a lot to learn about the nuances in the soul system that Rift offers.

Anyone willing to part with advice for souls, and suggested builds? I would deeply appreciate it. Thank you!
    Depending on what you will be focusing if you do lot of WF try the infiltrator build. It has lots of de buff and extra % dmg when PVP. Or i say go Blade dancer for this epic skill! Side Steps
    Performs a Rhythmic action, increasing Dodge chance by 50% for 15 seconds. This causes the Rogue to be exhausted for 30 seconds. zero points!
    Go marksman heavy with ranger as a support class to the marksman and with a free blade dancer 0 pt skill.
    I can link you the build if you would like.
    Last edited by Reg; 02-09-2011 at 09:19 PM.

There Is no Spoon! Only Knives!

Captain-General Of Legionnaire

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Depending on what you will be focusing if you do lot of WF try the infiltrator build. It has lots of de buff and extra % dmg when PVP. Or i say go Blade dancer for this epic skill! Side Steps
    Performs a Rhythmic action, increasing Dodge chance by 50% for 15 seconds. This causes the Rogue to be exhausted for 30 seconds. zero points!
    Go marksman heavy with ranger as a support class to the marksman and with a free blade dancer 0 pt skill.
    I can link you the build if you would like.
    Oh I'd appreciate that tons Reg, thank you!

I'd like to give a big heartfelt thanks for all the replies. I thrive on making informed choices and I'm fast learning just from reading the responses that I was badly MISinformed on a few of the souls out there in the Rogue Archetype.

I appreciate all the input everyone's offered, more than ya realize. It is more than nice to be able to post a thread like this and not get the usual "You suck!" "Scrub!" et al type of responses, but rather good input and real food for thought.

Again, I appreciate it immensely. Please continue with the input so I can climb out of the clueless state into the "Okay I know just enough to be dangerous" state.

Soulwalker

The thing you have to remember with the PvP souls (such as infiltrator) they really arent viable until level 50 since you cant get most of the skills until your prestige level goes up which doesnt start till level 50.

Reg

Quote Originally Posted by CulannHS View Post
    Oh I'd appreciate that tons Reg, thank you!
    Anytime, i don't want to link my build yet bc its still in the process as we are still in the beta so its still all in the air atm. But later on when i refine it. I will post them to you. But for now yeah Marks/Ranger/Bard its a solid PvE build. Good for group instances etc you can always switch to support heal in a spec. For PvP we ll just wait for Trion to nerf or un nerf a few things. The Omega server atm are testing out PvP stuff. Thats where im on the omega but... as they say if you are in alpha or omgea you cant say much :P

There Is no Spoon! Only Knives!

Captain-General Of Legionnaire

Quote Originally Posted by Deminish View Post
    The thing you have to remember with the PvP souls (such as infiltrator) they really arent viable until level 50 since you cant get most of the skills until your prestige level goes up which doesnt start till level 50.
    Gotcha..that's good to know.

That said I should probably clarify my original post. I'm mostly a PVE person. That is, I will PVP out of necessity, but not by choice, as I prefer the PVE over the PVP experiences.

Hopefully that will clear up any confusion as to what souls I'm looking for in regards to help with creating a build of my own for when Rift goes live.

Again, thank you.

My point of view it depends on how many points you put into the third soul you usually do not put many points into it.

If you put no points into the third soul there are only 4 good options you can get blade dancer for sidesteps, Riftstalker for the first teleport, saboteur for the slowing bomb or assassin for the weapon enhancement. Really if you put alot of points into ranger for better pets you will not use sidesteps much.

If you put a few points into the 3rd soul like 5 they are all use full but bd and bard are the worst choices at that point because your not getting much out of bard at that stage and bd doesnt have good options for helping your ranged dmg like the other souls (unless hit % is actually a big deal i couldnt see that it is). NS gives you more dmg on your combo builders and at 6 points gives you a weapon enhancement, sin gives you crit chance and weapon enhancement and they both give you a 30 sec stealth. RS gives you att power and a end buff, sabo gives you + 15% dex. Bard like i said doesnt give much it gives you health and an end buff.
    Last edited by Alandrian; 02-10-2011 at 07:59 AM.

+ Reply to Thread