+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Assassin's Backstab in PvP

Plane Touched

Default Assassin's Backstab in PvP

This is mostly for PvP, because in PvE it is very easy to do with a tank. I don't really want theories on it either, because I know that assassins have stuns and with riftstalkers they have teleports to get behind people.

What I really want to know is backstab really worth it? It does amazing damage, but in PvP how easy is it to really get behind your target to spam it? I don't mean you stun them and get it off twice, that isn't very worth it to me and I want something a little more consistent. I'm torn between this mainly because I could get rid of backstab and advanced flanking in my build, and put the points into something that I would be using more often like improved final blow or improved savage strike or something to increase damage on skills that I can always depend on using.

I don't mean to be rude but I don't care about theories on it because I've read it all already, I want to know any experienced assassins who PvP and how often can they depend on using backstab? Is backstab really worth 1 ~ 3 points?

It depends on your enemy, obviously you'll spam it all day long against a keyboard turner. In a 1v1 against a mouse turner you can get it off but not nearly as often. In a larger scale fight you can stay at someones back fairly easy.

Overall I think it's worth it, definately the best later on when you can get a decent amount of crits to take it well above savage strike (which procs serated blades more often due to +crit talent).
    I played assassin for the past 3 betas, to 35.
    Last edited by Odaman; 02-09-2011 at 01:36 PM.

Shadowlander

depends on yours and your opponent skill, of circle strafing, etc - with rift macros you can macro it, something like
    Code:
    cast Backstab
    cast Savage Strike
    should be casting backstab, when possible, and savage strike when not - not sure if it'll work, as i didn't play with macros ( I don't really like'em ) , but looking on this:
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...l=1#post916953
    it should.

Shadowlander

Mix it with RS and BD. You get anytime stun as well as stun from stealth from SIN, a evade/parry reactive stun from BD, and the 14 point ability in RS puts you behind the target so that's what? 6-7 guaranteed back-stabs not to mention with BD your crit/evade/parry get a nice boost from finishers.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...VdVzoMoMz.VG0r

Rift Disciple

I don't think anybody who has not played the end game can say for sure. I hope and believe that it will be worthwhile then, but I can't prove it. As Odaman said, against a mouse turner you will have better luck with something else.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Dushy View Post
    depends on yours and your opponent skill, of circle strafing, etc - with rift macros you can macro it, something like
    Code:
    cast Backstab
    cast Savage Strike
    should be casting backstab, when possible, and savage strike when not - not sure if it'll work, as i didn't play with macros ( I don't really like'em ) , but looking on this:
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...l=1#post916953
    it should.
    tried that macro but didnt get it to work for some odd reason. Tried with just the backstab too, to no avail. Tried with #show backstab at the start, nope. the thing just wouldnt cast. wierd

That's strange, when I tried marks I set up a rotation macro that worked well enough.
    cast Splinter Shot
    wait 1
    cast Empowered Shot
    wait 1
    cast Barbed Shot
    wait 1
    cast Deadeye Shot

Obviously this type of thing wouldn't work for using Savage Strike when you can't do backstab, but the cast macro worked fine when I used it.

I tried to make a macro using 2 skills in Beta 5 and it said only 1 ability is usable per macro.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by atchoo View Post
    tried that macro but didnt get it to work for some odd reason. Tried with just the backstab too, to no avail. Tried with #show backstab at the start, nope. the thing just wouldnt cast. wierd
    I'll try it if i not forget in next beta - but from what is in mentioned in that thread it should work. Trion changed macros - now you can cast only one skill per macro still it should cast first that have all requirments met ( positioning, cooldown, reaction etc. ). I had really only one macro - on warrior:
    #show Power Strike
    cast Inescapable Fury
    cast Frienzed Strike
    cast Power Strike

and it worked - one skill per press - but still it's 3 skills on 1 keybind. Seems like you have to write skill exactly as it is - with capitals etc. But in this case this are 2 off-gcd reaction and 1 normal skill ( so it casted something like - inescapable fury when possible - guaranted crit, so frienzed strike became avaible, on next press macro casted in, when both where unavaible due to cooldown, or condition not met it casted power strike)

#show Skill just shows icon and tooltip of that skill, doesn't change anything in how the macro works.
    Last edited by Dushy; 02-09-2011 at 02:54 PM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
    I tried to make a macro using 2 skills in Beta 5 and it said only 1 ability is usable per macro.
    yep didnt work for me either - long lives G19 and G13 ^^

Shadowlander

if you can strafe well, backstab is well worth it

You can't make a macro with Backstab followed by another ability because it'll always try backstab and always fail due to a positional check.

You can, however, make a macro with an ability thats not usable because of range. E.g. swift shot / savage strike macro. It'll try to savage strike, and if it can't, it'll swift shot.

As far as viability in pvp, shrug. I use it because the only times when I am in melee reliably is right after a stun and getting backstabs off is no prob. After that I start getting kited, so I switch to ranged attacks anyway (nb or ranger shots).

Sid
    Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Egelwolf View Post
    if you can strafe well, backstab is well worth it
    Agreed!! It will really depend on your play style. If you don't mind circle strafing you'll be able to spam backstab quite a bit. If you rely on abilities to stun or teleport then you won't get off nearly as many.

It looks crazy and people can't stand it when a Sin is literally running circles around them. Like someone mentioned, if you're against a mouse turner he'll make it a lot harder for you. Fortunately for us the majority are keyboard turners because they use their mouse to click stuff on the hotbar.. at least in my experience.
    Last edited by Sid; 02-10-2011 at 07:15 AM.
    HW: DD Water Box | i7 920 D0 @ 4.1GHz 1.294v | EVGA x58 SLI LE | OCZ 6GB DDR3 1600 | HD 6870 CrossFireX 980/1150 | 9800GT Eco Hybrid Physx | Vertex 2 SSD | Ultra X-3 1,000w psu | Win7 x64

WC: Apogee XT WB | EK-FC6870 x2 | Black Ice Xtreme II D12SH-12 pull | MCP355 XSPC Acetal Top | PrimoFlex Pro LRT 1/2" x 3/4" | Fluid XP Phantom Black

+ Reply to Thread