+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Skill training with class trainers

  1. #1
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    38

    Default Skill training with class trainers

    I have noticed when ranking up skills at the trainer it takes X amount of points and X level to be able to advance to the next rank. Assuming level 50, Does anyone know of a place to see the "ranks" of each skill your trainer offers?

    The reason I ask is lets says people are putting 38 into MM, at level 50 , if 39 points into MM gets you your next rank of deadeye shot then it could very well mean that is the spec to go vs just playing the "build the best 66 point tree" on the char builder.

    Maybe the sweet spot is not 26 or 32 or 38. See what I am saying? Any help is grateful... Thanks

  2. #2
    Telaran settledown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    86

    Default

    You gain new ranks as your player level increases after you've gained the root ability from spending points in the tree, or gained the ability from the tree itself. The amount of points spent in a tree is unrelated to gaining new ranks of a spell you've learned. Unless some specific abilities were changed very recently, that is.
    Last edited by settledown; 02-09-2011 at 11:51 AM.

  3. #3
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    312

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
    I have noticed when ranking up skills at the trainer it takes X amount of points and X level to be able to advance to the next rank. Assuming level 50, Does anyone know of a place to see the "ranks" of each skill your trainer offers?

    The reason I ask is lets says people are putting 38 into MM, at level 50 , if 39 points into MM gets you your next rank of deadeye shot then it could very well mean that is the spec to go vs just playing the "build the best 66 point tree" on the char builder.

    Maybe the sweet spot is not 26 or 32 or 38. See what I am saying? Any help is grateful... Thanks
    You can put zero points in a soul and still get lvl 50 ranks when you go to the trainer if thats what your asking.

    38 points in MM does not mean they can't max rank nor does 10 points nor zero points.

    You can even rank spells not in your main build if you have roles by training them too.

    You also don't lose rank when you switch builds.

    You could in theory train all ranks in all skills/spells that rogue can do from all souls if you have mutliple roles. (I'm sure some people will)


    You are supposed to if you use more than 3 souls (differnt ones on different roles I mean).


    My mage used 6 souls (using 2 roles) when I lvled I would change roles and train again and no matter what my current spec those spells where the highest rank based on my lvl not points in the souls.


    The basic thing to know about training ranks in skills is.. when you lvl go to the trainer and pay for the new ranks (including your other roles)


    Im gonna guess many players avoid the trainers because they are not aware of the mechanic for ranks of skills.
    Last edited by Beans; 02-09-2011 at 11:56 AM.

  4. #4
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    38

    Default

    I could have swore I saw at my trainer last beta that the skill was level X and X amount of points into the tree..... I'll check next beta, but I could have swore I saw that. I rememerber being surprized by the finding. For instance I was lvl 25 and I could not upgrade to the next rank of X skill altho I met the first hurdle was X amount of points, but I wasnt high enough lvl for the 2nd hurdle to be met to upgrade.
    Last edited by Chapel; 02-09-2011 at 12:00 PM.

  5. #5
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    312

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
    I could have swore I saw at my trainer last beta that the skill was level X and X amount of points into the tree..... I'll check next beta, but I could have swore I saw that. I rememerber being surprized by the finding. For instance I was lvl 25 and I could not upgrade to the next rank of X skill altho I met the first hurdle was X amount of points, but I wasnt high enough lvl for the 2nd hurdle to be met to upgrade.
    Hey at least you use the trainers.

    I think a huge chunk of players in these betas ignore the trainers completely.
    I'm not joking.
    More so in 1-9 but there are still a sizable chunk in the 10-19 bracket as well, I've met a few ingame who didnt know about training skill ranks. ANd ive met 20+ who didnt know what roles are (the roles are an option on the TRAINER !!!)

    Ive played many MMORPG and I've learned that in a new game not to assume anything as far as how spells rank up. Only one MMO ive played autoranked them (wow.) Perhaps one or two single player games did that too.
    Last edited by Beans; 02-09-2011 at 12:16 PM.

  6. #6
    Rift Disciple Tuln's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    Ive played many MMORPG and I've learned that in a new game not to assume anything as far as how spells rank up. Only one MMO ive played autoranked them (wow.) Perhaps one or two single player games did that too.
    Lol when did that happen? I heard you also have to put 31 points into a talent tree to keep people from gimping themselves. Glad I quit WoW over a year ago. /facepalm
    "Paper is fine, nerf rock" -Scissors
    Officer of <Ascending Darkness> - Galena

  7. #7
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    312

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuln View Post
    Lol when did that happen? I heard you also have to put 31 points into a talent tree to keep people from gimping themselves. Glad I quit WoW over a year ago. /facepalm
    Yeah I dont know when it happened in WOW but I think its the primary reason many new Rift players dont bother to train their skills and then complain that their class choice sucks.

    Its the reason many of the short lasted threads like "I can't solo a mob my LVL!?!?! Warriors SUCK BALLS!" exist until someone explains it to them.


    One of my biggest concerns when starting a MMORPG is .. will I even be able to afford the skill ups as I lvl? In some games its a main money sink and it will mean I can't buy a mount or w/e other things I want until much later in the game. ranking skills > everything else. In Rift they are cheap though.. which I appreciate.
    Last edited by Beans; 02-09-2011 at 12:36 PM.

  8. #8
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    Hey at least you use the trainers.

    I think a huge chunk of players in these betas ignore the trainers completely.
    I'm not joking.
    More so in 1-9 but there are still a sizable chunk in the 10-19 bracket as well, I've met a few ingame who didnt know about training skill ranks. ANd ive met 20+ who didnt know what roles are (the roles are an option on the TRAINER !!!)

    Ive played many MMORPG and I've learned that in a new game not to assume anything as far as how spells rank up. Only one MMO ive played autoranked them (wow.) Perhaps one or two single player games did that too.
    I use the trainer and was wondering what "role" was for. Never had enough gold to try it out.
    What does role do for you?

  9. #9
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Salem, OR
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lightspeed View Post
    I use the trainer and was wondering what "role" was for. Never had enough gold to try it out.
    What does role do for you?
    Roles allow you to have multiple specs/soul combinations (up to 4) that you can swap between in the field. You just have to be out of combat.

  10. #10
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    312

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lightspeed View Post
    I use the trainer and was wondering what "role" was for. Never had enough gold to try it out.
    What does role do for you?
    Perhaps the most important aspect to it is that once you choose Rogue you can have other roles that use different souls entirely. You are not trapped with a specific class combo. You have all the rogue souls available to design up to 4 builds. There is no reason not to try any number of combinations for different purposes.

    Changing roles is a 2 second cast out of combat and you can even hotkey them.

    There is nothing stopping you from PVEing solo in a contested zone with the best PVE build you can make for fast lvling and then when you see a red player in the distance, tap your playerkiller build hotkey, stealth in and gank them.


    The class system and roles is the best part of this Game.
    Last edited by Beans; 02-09-2011 at 03:46 PM.

  11. #11
    Plane Touched Tiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
    I have noticed when ranking up skills at the trainer it takes X amount of points and X level to be able to advance to the next rank. Assuming level 50, Does anyone know of a place to see the "ranks" of each skill your trainer offers?

    The reason I ask is lets says people are putting 38 into MM, at level 50 , if 39 points into MM gets you your next rank of deadeye shot then it could very well mean that is the spec to go vs just playing the "build the best 66 point tree" on the char builder.

    Maybe the sweet spot is not 26 or 32 or 38. See what I am saying? Any help is grateful... Thanks
    You can change the filter to see the next Rank up from the one you have. It will be in Red letters, and tell you the level you gain that new rank. For example:

    You have Rank 4 of a skill and you are level 30. Rank 5 is available to be trained at level 32. You chance the filter to "unattainable" and you will see in Red letters, Rank 5 (requires level 32).

    If Rank 6 is also available to you at level 38, you won't see it, until you have trained Rank 5.

  12. #12
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    You can change the filter to see the next Rank up from the one you have. It will be in Red letters, and tell you the level you gain that new rank. For example:

    You have Rank 4 of a skill and you are level 30. Rank 5 is available to be trained at level 32. You chance the filter to "unattainable" and you will see in Red letters, Rank 5 (requires level 32).

    If Rank 6 is also available to you at level 38, you won't see it, until you have trained Rank 5.
    Yeah, this is the way (I thought at least) I saw the level req and the number of points that have to be into the tree in order to level the skill. I am going to have to check it again. People say I am wrong and I prol. am... I just could have swore I saw it during last beta on the trainier.

  13. #13
    Plane Walker Kalizaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
    Yeah, this is the way (I thought at least) I saw the level req and the number of points that have to be into the tree in order to level the skill. I am going to have to check it again. People say I am wrong and I prol. am... I just could have swore I saw it during last beta on the trainier.
    I recall seeing this as well. But as far as I can tell all you do is click the train button and you just pay a couple coins and that's it. There's no points involved that I can see, even though the interface mentions points to spend. Pretty sure it's an unfinished game mechanic.

    Has anyone actually experimented with these ranks to see what they do? Common sense would suggest that each rank increases the abilities effectiveness in some form.

    I never trust common sense when it comes to programming, especially in new games. So has anyone actually tested damage for instance on an ability that's trained and not trained?

    The skill training system seems like Trion wanted to do something interesting with it, but then just dropped it. Now it's just a mindless click fest to raise skills and not even know what it's doing for you.
    Last edited by Kalizaar; 02-10-2011 at 09:26 AM.

  14. #14
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalizaar View Post
    I recall seeing this as well. But as far as I can tell all you do is click the train button and you just pay a couple coins and that's it. There's no points involved that I can see, even though the interface mentions points to spend. Pretty sure it's an unfinished game mechanic.

    Has anyone actually experimented with these ranks to see what they do? Common sense would suggest that each rank increases the abilities effectiveness in some form.

    I never trust common sense when it comes to programming, especially in new games. So has anyone actually tested damage for instance on an ability that's trained and not trained?

    The skill training system seems like Trion wanted to do something interesting with it, but then just dropped it. Now it's just a mindless click fest to raise skills and not even know what it's doing for you.
    Yes you are correct, The damage or healing or whatever goes up as you train the skill.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts