+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26

Thread: LvLing as x playing as y

  1. #1
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    12

    Default LvLing as x playing as y

    Seems to me there is little reason to lvl as any spec other then mm/sin/ranger

    At max lvl switch to whatever rogue class you like. I am not a fan of the idea as many people will end up playing classes they have little experiance with and most wf's will be filled with cookie cuter specs. I was under the impresion that this was the exact thing this game was working to move away from.

    Unfortunitly I realy do not have a fix for the issue so i guess it is what it is. Would like to see if there is any ideas floating around that may work, and how people feal about the subject.

  2. #2
    Shield of Telara Ashnazg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    675

    Default

    This is the downside of easy switching.

    People will ride FOTM waves a LOT easier than it was in other games.

    Personally it saddens me to know that if I tough it out playing an unpopular class and it ever gets improved down the road, everyone will just switch to it effortlessly.

    But like you said, I dont have a solution.

  3. #3
    Champion of Telara Telal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,214

    Default

    While I do see your point, i tend to level what I plan on playing "in the end" it flat out gives me more time to hone my skills in pvp. :P

    I'm not going to level as mm/***/ranger, because neither of my "end game" spec have any of those souls in them. :P
    Therylin - R5 Healer
    Thericia- R4 Rogue

  4. #4
    Rift Chaser Doomgrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    301

    Default

    I actually use all my roles that I can afford buying them as soon as I have the plat. With the CE mount, I have 3 roles at level 22 and us them all relatively equally.

    The OP's statement assumes that people just play a game to powerlevel to the end. I thin Rift offers an enjoyable leveling experience and the role system allows you to switch it up enough to relief any boredom from quest grinding. Or how about running a dungeon multiple times? I ran IT last beta as DPS, DPS with healing/buffing support, and as the tank. It really changes your perspective when redoing content.

  5. #5
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Well, one advantage of leveling as x and playing as x is that you're more likely to know the workings and the nuances of x better than would someone who levels as y and plays as x -- if that makes any sense at all. However, it would also be nice to see some slight reward given to players who dedicate themselves to a specific build/role for an extended period of time. For example, there could be a .25% damage bonus for each hour spent on that build, capping at 10% -- something like that. Just spitballin' here.

  6. #6
    Rift Disciple mapatric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    102

    Default

    people over estimate the difficulty level of learning to play a class effectively.

  7. #7
    Champion of Telara Telal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mapatric View Post
    people over estimate the difficulty level of learning to play a class effectively.
    Just as some people give way too much credit to todays "normal" mmo player.
    Last edited by Telal; 02-09-2011 at 09:54 AM.
    Therylin - R5 Healer
    Thericia- R4 Rogue

  8. #8
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    12

    Default

    I get that you do not have too play anything you do not want to, and that the lvling content/experiance is not bad. However when it takes you twice to three times as long to lvl as mellee it just seems like that could get a bit frustrating.

    I was thinking increasing the life regen of melle rogues through passive skills or some sort. I dont know how you would implament it but it would solve the problem of lvling just make it pvp exempt or some such.

  9. #9
    Ascendant Vabjekf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,401

    Default

    its a good thing this game constantly throws you into group situations while leveling, isnt it?

  10. #10
    Champion ninefourtyfour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    558

    Default

    haha, ill be leveling as a riftstalker and a sab, and change gear and calling depending on the type of group I can form or find.

  11. #11
    Shield of Telara Ashnazg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
    I get that you do not have too play anything you do not want to, and that the lvling content/experiance is not bad. However when it takes you twice to three times as long to lvl as mellee it just seems like that could get a bit frustrating.

    I was thinking increasing the life regen of melle rogues through passive skills or some sort. I dont know how you would implament it but it would solve the problem of lvling just make it pvp exempt or some such.
    You mean leeching poison?

    In all seriousness, I'll be PvEing on my assassin for sure. I've tried different builds (including sabs, MM, etc) and I am yet to find something that fits my levelling style better than an assassin / ranger. Pet tanks, I assassinate/backstab for 5 second kills and heal my pet between mobs. Its like the holy trinity in one.

    Probably sab for rifting / aoe pulls in dungeons though.

  12. #12
    Ascendant Vabjekf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,401

    Default

    Youve just blown my mind man.

    melee assassin/ranger

    Im going to have to try that =P

  13. #13
    Shield of Telara Ashnazg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vabjekf View Post
    Youve just blown my mind man.

    melee assassin/ranger

    Im going to have to try that =P
    It works quite well

    You just have to hotkey your Pet Stay button if you ever want to do any sapping or something from stealth, since your pet cannot stealth with you.

  14. #14
    Plane Touched STICF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
    Seems to me there is little reason to lvl as any spec other then mm/sin/ranger

    At max lvl switch to whatever rogue class you like. I am not a fan of the idea as many people will end up playing classes they have little experiance with and most wf's will be filled with cookie cuter specs. I was under the impresion that this was the exact thing this game was working to move away from.

    Unfortunitly I realy do not have a fix for the issue so i guess it is what it is. Would like to see if there is any ideas floating around that may work, and how people feal about the subject.
    On switching spec after leveling:
    While this may be exploited in Rift more than other games, it has been the case since "skill tree" MMOs were introduced. It is really just about skills not being optimal between solo and party builds (or leveling and endgame). I have known plenty of players that leveled one "spec" then changed for end game.

    On WF's:
    I do not see it that way. Some people will play Bard, some will play with stealth, and others will play "Long Range Bombers" all will be Rogues. Each style might have to "best skill build for that style". However this will not be like other games where if you played a Rogue you had 1 (maybe 2) ways to set up you character for PVP.
    Last edited by STICF; 02-09-2011 at 11:09 AM.

  15. #15
    Telaran droenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STICF View Post
    On switching spec after leveling:
    While this may be exploited in Rift more than other games, it has been the case since "skill tree" MMOs were introduced. It is really just about skills not being optimal between solo and party builds (or leveling and endgame). I have known plenty of players that leveled one "spec" then changed for end game.

    On WF's:
    I do not see it that way. Some people will play Bard, some will play with stealth, and others will play "Long Range Bombers" all will be Rogues. Each style might have to "best skill build for that style". However this will not be like other games where if you played a Rogue you had 1 (maybe 2) ways to set up you character for PVP.
    I agree with this post. Very constructive.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts