+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: at the launch, please turn off communication between factions

Soulwalker

Default at the launch, please turn off communication between factions

The other day I had a stealthed rogue defiant talking to my guardian group as we were questing and closing rifts. Just doesnt seem right to be able to talk to them. I'm on a pvp server as well. I can understand if there were a way for me to spend endless hours studying their language or something, but having him be able to chat with us was kinda unnerving

Why would they speak a different language? If you didn't like him talking to you then you should of blocked him or better yet at the launch, go play a different game

Telaran

I disagree, they shouldn't be able to zone chat but the white text local chat makes sense. It not like they are are completely different culture, both sides were living together in Port Scion 5 minutes before the game starts. Plus it leads to some funny trash talking.

Telaran

With all due respect. I disagree.

What you propose would interject an artificial barrier to immersion and perhaps even hamper competition, IMO.

Nowhere that I have read in the lore does it suggest that different factions speak different languages, any more than the different races within the same faction...

PvP 'should' be unnerving...

Again, all this IMO.

I enjoy being able to talk with the enemy.
    Finally a game that allows this
    vVv Kraftdinner
    http://www.vvv-gaming.com
    Randytherogue - RIFT

Defiant - vVv Gaming

Telaran

The Defiant NPCs talk to Guardian players. Why shouldn't Defiant players also be able to talk to Guardian players?

I just don't see the harm of this. If anything it could provide interesting new PVP and PVE scenarios and give pause to mindless ganking.
    Pre-server merges BS statement:
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Given how quickly population seems to be growing overall, I think we'll see new servers before mergers.
    Post server merges BS Statement:
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    I think at this point I'm obliged to grant that functionally I was wrong about mergers.
    A quick snap of the neck keeps those corpses nice and dead like." ~ Ferry

I actually wish it was like EQ2 and you could not only talk to them, but group with them. I hate being forced to hate/fight against another faction, I like to make my own decisions when it comes to the people I meet. Sure the factions are against each other, but I'd sure as heck help the other side if it was going to save the world. Maybe someday, who knows.

I enjoy this too, obviously you can't talk to each others zone chat and such, but if you say something out loud everyone around can hear it and understand it.

They were going to incorporate the ability in WoW to learn the other factions language but they decided not to do it to many people disappointed and lacked logic. You are saying powerful and well educated mages can't speak common languages on the planet?

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by VisualGloss View Post
    I actually wish it was like EQ2 and you could not only talk to them, but group with them. I hate being forced to hate/fight against another faction, I like to make my own decisions when it comes to the people I meet. Sure the factions are against each other, but I'd sure as heck help the other side if it was going to save the world. Maybe someday, who knows.
    Man, you're really on to something here. Custom 3rd factions!!! You team up with others from another faction and you become green targets with each other, but everyone else becomes red because you are traitors to both factions. Hence, you've created your own 3rd faction!!!

Now that is an innovative concept my friend. Trion, look a this.
    Last edited by soulfuser; 02-09-2011 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by soulfuser View Post
    Man, you're really on to something here. Custom 3rd factions!!! You team up with others from another faction and you become green targets with each other, but everyone else becomes red because you are traitors to both factions. Hence, you've created your own 3rd faction!!!

Now that is an innovative concept my friend. Trion, look a this.
    I don't think he was referring to a 3rd Faction, I'm pretty sure he just meant to let you choose how to treat players of the opposing faction as in you could either group with them or pk them... That sounds interesting to me however I would hope they wouldn't let you group with someone and then suddenly ungroup and pk them... that would suck hard and be worse than griefing in my opinion.

Also, why is this thread in the Rogue section... Sure a rogue was involved, but this seems to belong more to General Discussion.
    Last edited by droenn; 02-09-2011 at 11:13 AM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Lockiszemode View Post
    I just don't see the harm of this. If anything it could provide interesting new PVP and PVE scenarios and give pause to mindless ganking.
    And what could be more fun then stealthing around saying stuff like "From the shadows comes your death" and other fun rogue type things.

I hate the barrier in WoW. Esp when Npc from both side would talk to each other...like wtf are we just to stupid to learn the language when all the npc can speak it? It's even worse given the fact that you can understand the other faction npc while it's talking to your faction npc. Inconsistent much?

I like that we can talk to each other. It makes sence. As someone else said, 5 min before the game starts both sides were talking to each other. Why should they suddenly not be able to communicate? That would be ridiculous and not follow the lore in any way shape of form.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by xcipher View Post
    I enjoy this too, obviously you can't talk to each others zone chat and such, but if you say something out loud everyone around can hear it and understand it.

They were going to incorporate the ability in WoW to learn the other factions language but they decided not to do it to many people disappointed and lacked logic. You are saying powerful and well educated mages can't speak common languages on the planet?
    Go to Argent Tournament Grounds outside ToC and listen (and understand) the conversation between BOTH factions. Esp when Thrall and hellscream are talking to the leaders of the alliance.

They just want to keep the artificial barrier there. They think it's "interesting" but both sides clearly understand each other in a multitude of places.
    So they go with inconsistent and shoot holes in their own arguments.

To someone mentioning eq2. I never played it, but I liked that you could do that in EQ. Depending on your server anyway. Nothing makes getting groups faster.

It'd be kinda cool to have an epic quest called "Getting over your differences" That completing lets you group with other people from the opposing faction who has also completed it.

I don't see it happening either way, but could be amusing.

Soulwalker

Actually it has a good side and a bad side:

Good side: funny trash talk (not the bad one, more like RP trash ) + they are not different races, they are different cultures, so to say.

Bad side: on the pvp server everyone can have spies on the enemy side. If you could only talk on white chat (/say) it would be very good.

Being able to talk cross factions is pure win in my books. Not only just to smack talk back and forth after you "pwned teh n00bs" or just a "good fight" but even for RP purposes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast