+ Reply to Thread

Thread: *PvP* - Bard(Main)/Ranger(Off)/Infiltrator(PvP)

Telaran

Default *PvP* - Bard(Main)/Ranger(Off)/Infiltrator(PvP)

This is a PvP Group Support Spec.

http://tiny.cc/25nxd

What I'll be doing with this spec is pretty simple. Leading a 5v5 group. I'll be lead. I'll be first to respond to groups when we confront our opponents. This will mean a few things. One, I'll need a forum of crowd control. Two, I'll need to have the advantage. Three, I'll need something to do after I've done the first two.

Now my train of thought is simple, if you've played DAoC you might follow along quiet easily... Crowd Control > Interruption > Support. My main roll is to get the drop on the opponents, spot them first, mezz them first, and assist on the focus.

What does this spec do for me then? It gives me the things a bard needs to survive in pvp. Speed / Songs / CC. Adding in the marksman gives me support to the train. Also allows me to have a pet for interruption on heals/casters. Being able to have a long range way to interrupt and focus is insane. The infil spec speaks for itself. Survivability. I get the ability to break mezz or stuns if necessary, speed increase at will, cleanse if necessary, and well.. i really don't know if you can use poisons on bows so... if that's possible then casters are screwed.

To explain why I do not focus on the DPS part of the Bard class is simple, that's not my focus.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Comments? Flames?
    I'm open to them. If your spec or subspec you feel is better and have the time to write a few sentences to tell me why, I'd love to hear it.. honestly. If you question why I went a specific talent point also, I'll explain in detail asap.

Thanks Mates,
    dak0r

Rift Disciple

Why skip Power Chord? Going to use Ranger skills when mobility is necessary?

I'm really loving Power Chord for PvP. Instant 2 points, and with Extended Grief, can get a REALLY quick 24 sec Coda of Cowardice or Distress on a group of enemies.
    Last edited by Marduke; 02-08-2011 at 11:51 PM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Marduke View Post
    Why skip Power Chord? Going to use Ranger skills when mobility is necessary?

I'm really loving Power Chord for PvP. Instant 2 points, and with Extended Grief, can get a 24 sec Coda of Cowardice or Distress on a group of enemies.
    I like where you're going with that. I'd obviously focus opening with Riff and following it by a distress. But after that I thought I'd focus on long range bow skills while twisting my bard songs and re-cc'n. I've wanted to get rid of 3/3 Invig Soul, so I think I've found 1/3 of the points a new home.

Thanks!

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by dak0r View Post

This is a PvP Group Support Spec.

http://tiny.cc/25nxd

What I'll be doing with this spec is pretty simple. Leading a 5v5 group. I'll be lead. I'll be first to respond to groups when we confront our opponents. This will mean a few things. One, I'll need a forum of crowd control. Two, I'll need to have the advantage. Three, I'll need something to do after I've done the first two.

Now my train of thought is simple, if you've played DAoC you might follow along quiet easily... Crowd Control > Interruption > Support. My main roll is to get the drop on the opponents, spot them first, mezz them first, and assist on the focus.

What does this spec do for me then? It gives me the things a bard needs to survive in pvp. Speed / Songs / CC. Adding in the marksman gives me support to the train. Also allows me to have a pet for interruption on heals/casters. Being able to have a long range way to interrupt and focus is insane. The infil spec speaks for itself. Survivability. I get the ability to break mezz or stuns if necessary, speed increase at will, cleanse if necessary, and well.. i really don't know if you can use poisons on bows so... if that's possible then casters are screwed.

To explain why I do not focus on the DPS part of the Bard class is simple, that's not my focus.

I'm open to them. If your spec or subspec you feel is better and have the time to write a few sentences to tell me why, I'd love to hear it.. honestly. If you question why I went a specific talent point also, I'll explain in detail asap.

Thanks Mates,
    dak0r

i would try to drop the concept of being a range opener. from what ive seen and felt playing the bard is that it is a beast of a support. if you combine riftstalker with the support capabilities of a 25+ pt bard you will be surprised at how strong you are. granted your only gonna be doing 4-10k damage a WF , BUT you will top damage taken and heals just about every WF. the bard spec i was running before beta ended allowed me to heal 3 groups moderately without downtime, and easilly tank 4+ people using cooldowns and rift barier along with the epic mobility from being rift. overall -30% damage via RB, 4k hp and 2k armour via guardian phase, -30% damage on crit, comboes with motifs cadence self heal and CoR nets you the most unkillable healbot buffbot the game has atm. i literally initiate fights by simply running into their team with motifs up riff->RB and tank everything while my team doms them. its hilarious really that i can heal this effectively while tanking most of the enemies DPS.

Telaran

I'm interested in knowing the spec you are playing with. If this is how the bard will work I'll adjust to the play style. I still think there is more thought into the crowd control / single target focus / heavy caster group though. Thanks for response!

Plane Walker

I'm interested in knowing the spec you are playing with. If this is how the bard will work I'll adjust to the play style. I still think there is more thought into the crowd control / single target focus / heavy caster group though. Thanks for response!
    there may be more thought involved but when it comes to effectiveness well what i described is not inflated in any way. as for spec im not sure i want to put it out there but ill pm you it i guess.

Telaran

Thanks, would be greatly appreciated. Looking for more responses of your own personal encounters with the classes and thoughts on the spec.

Plane Walker

Thanks, would be greatly appreciated. Looking for more responses of your own personal encounters with the classes and thoughts on the spec.
    lemme know what you think. was tanking 4+ people in beta 6 while healing entire team. GG xD. also you might wanna drop a lil hp to grab rift scavenger, theres been a few times Rift scavenger has saved me. edit the spec yourselve i guess XD
    Last edited by labotimy; 02-09-2011 at 01:32 AM.

Telaran

Shameless bump! Has anyone tested out open world grouP vs group? If so what experiences can you share?

Telaran

So, anyone have any thoughts? So far I'm liking it in theory and its a build based on group vs. group combat at max level. I understand where previous posts were coming from, but this is for endgame, when if you try and rush into the middle of a group you're gonna get stomped.

thanks,
    dak0r

Well, the link you posted no longer works but that's okay. I personally will be running this at 50 for my main pvp spec. I know it doesn't have any points in Infiltrator but if I feel I really need it I can swap it in. From what I've seen from others on here you can get a bit more bang for your buck by going with Marksman or maybe Saboteur for the ranged DPS soul you seem to want to have.

As a former DAoC player I understand the role you're trying to fill. I did a lot of this as a Skald with an 8-man Midguard guild for a while. I've actually tried the mezz bomb with my groups and had decent success. It's a harder tactic to put into practice if you're not used to it.

I'd love to be more help but since I can't see the spec you're going with I'm just guestimating what you might have your points in.

Hope this helped.
    Author of Support Bard Guide and Officer of Nuln Highway Boys

I would agree with others and say that for a support, pvp bard, Riftstalker >>> MM. Most of our bardic goodness, including the spiffy new 8 sec insta mez, is 20m range, so you're waay inside the boosted MM's 35m range and well inside most other range dps 30m. The rifstalker gives you the mobility and survivability mentioned above, letting you blink in to mezz the your chosen target and then take the hits from doing so, then blink out if things get too tough.
    Bards, we make your BIG numbers BIGGER!*

*Bold, italicized, or underlined numbers neither implied nor guaranteed. Some users have reported an increase in font size after using Bards, your results may vary.
    Talk to your doctor before use to make sure you are healthy enough for Bards. In the case of an increase in font size lasting more than 4 hours, submit feedback
    immediately as you could be experiencing a bug and risk suffering permanent psycological damage when the bug is fixed. Possible side effects of Bards include but
    are not limited to toe-tapping, insomnia, getting really annoying songs and jingles stuck in your head for days, and feelings of inadequacy when not around Bards.
    Always use Bards responsibly, and know when to say when.

+ Reply to Thread