+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: One Rogue - slightly confused :)

Default One Rogue - slightly confused :)

Hi all, I can use some help since I am fairly new to the game. I played a rogue and I believe my 3 souls were Ranger (main), assassin which I never really thought of as any good for me, and one other, which I cannot recall, but I only had a few points into it.

NOTE: I never plan to PVP, so all this is about me vs monsters ok... just making that clear!

I enjoy the aspect of the ranged damage, not melee, so question 1 is which 3 souls would probably be best for me for being able to use my pet (Razorbeast) and fighting from ranged.

Question 2 - which rotation of shots would you consider to be the best in order.. I remember near the end of this last beta, I was mostly just using the quick shot to build up combo points and then using my finishing move (sorry cannot remember the name of the shot hehe). If you were playing mostly the ranger do you recall your rotation of shots prior to your finishing move?

Any advise for a noob rogue/player is welcomed.. thanks all, and RIFT is great so far!@@

General of Telara

The answer to question 1 is Marksman+Ranger+whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Wenry View Post
    The answer to question 1 is Marksman+Ranger+whatever.
    hehe, well thanks for the quick reply.. Any ideas of what the *whatever* should be?

General of Telara

Well... that depends on what you want and how many points you're willing to spend on that third soul.

If you want to spend 0 points on that third soul, then Sab give you an AoE snare, Riftstalker gives you a 15 yard "blink," Bladedancer give yous you a temporary +50% dodge (the downside is it's followed by a longer "exhaustion" period... dunno what that means...), and Infiltrator (the PvP-specific soul) lets you break out of all CC effects every 5 minutes.

Again, those are probably the best choices if you are going to spend 0 pts. in that third soul.

Otherwise you'll have to play around with things to settle on something you'll like.

oh ok, I understand better now... I will most likely be using most the skills in Ranger, and some in MM and maybe zero in the 3rd soul.. Understood now hehe.

Rift Chaser

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...o.E0toVzV0dR.V

Weapon enchantment/proc marksman will do everything you want. Equip two greater essences with damage procs and a damage proc trinket. Keep hellfire blades and smoldering blades up at all times because they are the main source of damage outside of strafe, scourge of darkness, and the other marksman finishers. The razorbeast can tank pretty well if you keep using rejuvenate.

A basic attack rotation would be: barbed shot, swift shot x4, scourge of darkness, and more swift shots into another finisher. For a big burst of damage, use bull's eye and strafe.
    Last edited by airflow; 02-08-2011 at 06:37 PM.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by airflow View Post
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...o.E0toVzV0dR.V

Weapon enchantment/proc marksman will do everything you want. Equip two greater essences with damage procs and a damage proc trinket. Keep hellfire blades and smoldering blades up at all times because they are the main source of damage outside of strafe, scourge of darkness, and the other marksman finishers. The razorbeast can tank pretty well if you keep using rejuvenate.

A basic attack rotation would be: barbed shot, swift shot x4, scourge of darkness, and more swift shots into another finisher. For a big burst of damage, use bull's eye and strafe.
    I have a stupid question...

So Nightblade enchants affect ranged weapons. What about Assassin's poisons?

Also in general Nightblade is a great third tree to take if you're uncertain about which to choose and have points to blow because of all the general damage increasing talents in the bottom of the tree.

While MM does do more damage, for solo PvE, Ranger/assassin/MM is best IMO because, yes, assassin poisons DO proc off ranged hits/abilities and you get an invincible pet. if u are not farther into ranger, your razorbeast doesnt pass lvl 30 (mine didnt). Also, u get a sick pet buff damage talent. MM is still good just for deadeye shot/empowered shot and insta win CD called hit and run. here is a build I'll be workin on up to 50 for solo PvE. HAPPY HYPERLINK
    "You're just realizing the fault of your species, human beings are the most untrustworthy, backstabbing creatures on this planet. Except for bears."

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Wenry View Post
    I have a stupid question...

So Nightblade enchants affect ranged weapons. What about Assassin's poisons?

Also in general Nightblade is a great third tree to take if you're uncertain about which to choose and have points to blow because of all the general damage increasing talents in the bottom of the tree.
    Yeah, the enchantments effect ranged weapons. It makes spamming swift shot amazingly powerful because you'll be doing 300-700 damage on each one and you can use a finisher at 5 combo points. Poisons work the same way but it seemed like nightblade was doing a LOT more damage to me. You might want to do assassin for all the CC and stealth talents though.

By the time you hit 30-35 you wont be using your pet for anything other than distracting monsters while you stack up haste from swift shot.
    Last edited by airflow; 02-08-2011 at 06:50 PM.

oh wow, this is some very useful information and I am really glad people are helping rather than simply smacking me down since I am pretty noob to these games.. I will do some research and look up everything you have all typed in.. Thanks so much for helping me out here.

I believe Airflow posted this one... *Weapon enchantment/proc marksman will do everything you want.* I had no idea about any of this lol... Thank you.

As for the comment on the pet.. I know so far in this game, when I get a few extra adds, if my pet dies, I usually end up dying, so I was not sure if there was some really good BUFF soul for the pets other than the ranger soul. With practice I have managed to find ways to stay alive during 3-to-4 pulls but it is really hard and challenging... I really enjoy it.

one more thing I wanted to talk about. I found that stealth (in assassin) was almost totally useless. At least it was for me.. My pet was always detected whenever i was in stealth. Even sometimes when i removed the pet, I was still seen and i was pretty far way from the targets.

I thought stealth was broken actually, but I got to the point when they reset talents, I never spent a single point in assassin lol.

Rift Chaser

Yeah, stealth seems pretty broken to me too. For survivability as a marksman, you should be relying on Hasted Shot and kiting monsters. It's a good idea to switch out ranger for saboteur after level 30 for the AOE snare.
    Last edited by airflow; 02-08-2011 at 07:10 PM.

General of Telara

Didn't they say they were going to change it so that pets went into stealth with along with their controllers?

Quote Originally Posted by airflow View Post
    Yeah, stealth seems pretty broken to me too. For survivability as a marksman, you should be relying on Hasted Shot and kiting monsters. It's a good idea to switch out ranger for saboteur after level 30 for the AOE snare.
    So far as you work your way up through ramps into buildings and such, there is not an easy way to kite because of all the agro around. I am not sure I want to be kiting and trying to run around mobs and such anyways hehe.

As for the broken pet on stealth that someone else mentioned....I am very glad that is a bug and will be fixed.

Telaran

I haven't had any luck with stealth yet. I can't figure out if its broken or if it improves exponentially with more points or what the problem is. I've played stealth classes in other MMO's, so I get the whole distance / back approach / level thing, but that doesn't seem to help much here. Maybe stealth is primarily useful in PVP?

Right now the fox form the Kelari get seems to be as useful to me as assassin stealth.
    Last edited by Bluejay; 02-09-2011 at 12:29 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast