+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 101

Thread: Are Sab really that op?

  1. #1
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3

    Default Are Sab really that op?

    Hey i just found out about Rift and can't wait to get a chance to play it. One of the classes that really interested me was the saboteur. However, after doing a little research I'm finding a lot of ppl complaining about how OP they are. So I was wondering how much of this is truth and how much of it is whining? I just have a hard time believing that i would not notice charges getting laid on me for 7 seconds when they pop up on my status bar as debuffs...

    But like i said i have no in game experience to draw on, and i'd hate to pick a class thats only gonna get nerfed into oblivion a couple of weeks in :/

  2. #2
    General of Telara
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    925

    Default

    I think they are OP, but whether or not they are is beside the point. People hate going from fine to dead in an instant no matter how long it took the Sab to set up those charges.

  3. #3
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    70

    Default

    No.

    More specifically, no. It is mostly whining

  4. #4
    General of Telara
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    854

    Default

    The problem is more that it's not obvious that the Sab is setting up charges on you because there isn't a projectile animation (or if there is, it's exceedingly small), and the debuff effect on the affected player is tiny.

    Otherwise it wouldn't be quite so bad.

  5. #5
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3

    Default

    but if you let any class wail on you for 7 sec, your gonna be in trouble right? I can see how the fact that there is no initial damage makes them more difficult to notice, but that comes at the cost of low survivability correct? If not then i might have to consider a different class...

  6. #6
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snake49916 View Post
    but if you let any class wail on you for 7 sec, your gonna be in trouble right? I can see how the fact that there is no initial damage makes them more difficult to notice, but that comes at the cost of low survivability correct? If not then i might have to consider a different class...
    Kind of. The huge damage spikes people whine about are when you crit, and if you wanted to get the most crit chance then you would lose survivability. It is a tradeoff.

    When I first started seeing sabs in WFs I thought they were OP too, they were wtfpwning me in 2 seconds what could I do? Then I started paying attention to who the sab was, focusing them and paying attention when i was being charged and CCing or backing out of range. This coupled with calling it out in vent/chat (depending on solo vs team queued) made them much easier to deal with. In short, you are exactly correct and I brought this up in a whiner thread before, give me any DPS class and I can do just as much damage, if not more in that amount of time.
    Last edited by Grondly; 02-08-2011 at 06:25 PM.

  7. #7
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3

    Default

    well I'm glad to hear this, makes me feel a lot better about the class. Thanks for input, can't wait to get a chance to find out for myself

  8. #8
    Shadowlander Leathrewulfe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wenry View Post
    The problem is more that it's not obvious that the Sab is setting up charges on you because there isn't a projectile animation (or if there is, it's exceedingly small), and the debuff effect on the affected player is tiny.

    Otherwise it wouldn't be quite so bad.
    That is incorrect. The saboteur throws glowing balls at you, that are quite noticiable. Also, the charge debuff icon is the same size as your buff icons...all of which are scaleable through the UI options.

  9. #9
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Leathrewulfe View Post
    That is incorrect. The saboteur throws glowing balls at you, that are quite noticiable. Also, the charge debuff icon is the same size as your buff icons...all of which are scaleable through the UI options.
    This is correct and is how I picked out sabs from groups. If i got hit by a huge spike damage or died once, I would look for the rogue thats strafing around swinging his arms and having glowing balls fly at people. Its quite noticeable compared to melee who have weapons out or ranged rogues who have a gun/bow.
    Last edited by Grondly; 02-08-2011 at 06:30 PM.

  10. #10
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    301

    Default

    The answer is no. However, people will always cry about spike damage. If saboteurs get nerfed, almost everyone that was playing saboteur for spike will go to the next big spike build which will result in a never ending nerf feast until there is no spike damage.

  11. #11
    General of Telara
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snake49916 View Post
    but if you let any class wail on you for 7 sec, your gonna be in trouble right? I can see how the fact that there is no initial damage makes them more difficult to notice, but that comes at the cost of low survivability correct? If not then i might have to consider a different class...
    If the rogue specs Sab/assassin they get alot of survivability in the form of crowd control and permanent improved stealth. You can even get slip away if you give up some minor buffs in the sab tree.

  12. #12
    General of Telara
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by airflow View Post
    The answer is no. However, people will always cry about spike damage. If saboteurs get nerfed, almost everyone that was playing saboteur for spike will go to the next big spike build which will result in a never ending nerf feast until there is no spike damage.
    Ive played most souls in this game. None of them are even close to the burst that sab can produce.

  13. #13
    Shadowlander Leathrewulfe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nonsensei436 View Post
    If the rogue specs Sab/assassin they get alot of survivability in the form of crowd control and permanent improved stealth. You can even get slip away if you give up some minor buffs in the sab tree.
    Maybe in one-on-one or highly organized PvP. Otherwise, CC gets broke instantly by someone who decides that AoEing is always the best course of action

  14. #14
    General of Telara
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Leathrewulfe View Post
    That is incorrect. The saboteur throws glowing balls at you, that are quite noticiable. Also, the charge debuff icon is the same size as your buff icons...all of which are scaleable through the UI options.
    This confuses me. Im wondering if people with lower graphics settings have far less visible charge graphics.

  15. #15
    Shadowlander Leathrewulfe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nonsensei436 View Post
    This confuses me. Im wondering if people with lower graphics settings have far less visible charge graphics.
    Possible I suppose if they have glow effects off.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts