+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I haven't played any of the BETA yet, BUT

Rift Disciple

Default I haven't played any of the BETA yet, BUT

I am coming over from WoW, after quitting that about a month back, I wish to play this game now, I think it looks like a lot of fun and such.

In WoW I was a great raider, and played a hunter ( yes the noob class )

I was thinking about rolling with a rogue this time and letting him be a marksmen, is that a good choice for now? I really don't want to play something that is overused or overpowered, but I do want to mainly use a bow, OR be an assassin type character with 2 daggers.

Any suggestions, comments or tips will be appreceated.

Telaran

Marksman is overplayed at the moment, especially in PvP, at least what I have seen on the servers I played in beta. If you chose the rogue class in general, at level 10+ you can chose other souls to mix all you want and find the right spec.

From a WoW hunter PoV, the ranger is more of the same, at least you will have a pet, which makes leveling (to) easy. Combined with MM, it is pretty strong.

You should just play the game, read up the forums and find the playstyle you like. No fun if some1 is telling you what to do

Rift Disciple

Good point, I'm just sorta confused over the whole soul thing, although I will figure it out.

If anything I might just stick with a melee rogue or maybe even a druid.

Rift Disciple

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Everyone, their grandmother, and their dog seems to be playing rogue, but it's understandable, seeing how versatile it is (you can pretty much do anything).

As far as souls go, I was also initially a bit overwhelmed by the idea, but it's not so bad once you start playing. I would recommend reading up on the various souls and playing around in a soul calculator before getting in game, it's what I did, and even though I was unfamiliar with it all, managed to come out with a very good build, and thoroughly enjoyed myself.

You know what you want best, so poke around and find what best fits what you want to be, and then try it out in game. If it doesn't work out initially, well, you only have eight bazillion more ways to spec, so just keep trying.

Telaran

Rift Disciple

Well actually, my other option, was to be a druid or a Shaman ( Cleric ) I know.

Also where can I go to learn about the individual souls.

Rift Chaser

If you want to play a really unique archer style character, I'd suggest a weapon enchantment/proc marksman. Use hellfire blades, smoldering blades, a damage proc trinket, and two damage proc greater essences along with swift shot spam or strafe into a finisher. The ranger pet can tank pretty well considering you can heal it, although it's better to used barbed shot and kite stuff around.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...o.E0toVzV0dR.V

You might not like it though because it's sitting on the edge of being overpowered and not...
    Last edited by airflow; 02-08-2011 at 06:13 PM.

+ Reply to Thread