+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Macros for Bard Motifs and Side Note

Soulwalker

Default Macros for Bard Motifs and Side Note

Has anyone tried this or have a good solution to this? Its kinda of a pain to click these prior to each encounter and still keep the DPS rolling in. Although yes I do have the increase to 30 secs which does make it nicer but any additional ideas would be great.

Side note: made it to 26 as a bard with 16 spent and combined with Ranger and MM, I am rolling through quests and clearing out areas with almost no down time. Being smart and watching spawn points is the only thing that has gotten me in trouble so far. Maybe an increase to power, like a regen or gear with power on it. I havent found anything from quests yet (I have done all the freemarch and meridian area quests plus all the Stonefield and begining on Scarlet Gorge ones and nothing) so the 100 power we have is a little bit of an issue for somethings, its not life threating but would be nice.

Thoughts, criticm or ideas?

Shadowlander

I believe before beta 6 they had macros that made it easy and played all your motifs for you. For beta 6 and 7, they took this out, which I am thankful for. If they allowed macros to play all your songs with 1 button, I would probably not be playing bard. The reason I play it is because it takes a lot of skill and practice to be great - which is the same reason I played one in EQ1. I find actively hitting keys much more fun than easy mode hitting one to do all the work for you.

Glad you're enjoying bard, I'm loving them! :-)

Soulwalker

Smile

From my experience with bard, I've found that while keeping the motifs up can sometimes be tedious, the uses of them far outweigh the annoyance, if you plan on being a dedicated bard I would imagine its something you'll have to get used to. In groups, my general rotation is:
    Motifs (I have 4 at the moment, I almost have the fifth)
    Cadence
    Powerchord (or cadence, depending on how much incoming damage there is)
    Coda of Cowardice
    Cadence
    Powerchord
    Coda of of Distress
    Cadence
    Powerchord
    Coda of Fury/Wrath
    refresh motifs and debuffs until stuff is dead.
    Obviously different codas are used for different situations, but that's my general one. While it can be a pain to refresh, having your rotation cleared up will let you concentrate more on the fight, rather then constantly checking what needs refreshing.

Plane Touched

To help me keep my motifs up I used the following macro:

#show Motif of Regeneration
    /cast Motif of Regeneration
    wait 25
    /say del'Vhar is refreshing Motifs now

The worked by giving me a handy speech bubble to remind me to refresh motifs (I would have used /whiper, but you cant whisper to yourself apparently) and after it pops up I just recast all my motifs.
    However, there was a problem with this: Rift only allows one macro to run at a time, so it stopped me from using any other macros (I like to macro all my spells with a /stopcasting at the start as it helps mitiage some latency issues from being in Aus)

To get around this I just transferred the macro to my G15 keyboard.
    This macro presses my keybind for 1 motif, then after a 25 second delay hits another keybind that I have macroed in game to do the /say

I still have to press the same amount of buttons, but I get reminded to do it just before my macros run out, it makes it much easier to keep them up while distracted in WFs.

Soulwalker

I hadn't taken that into consideration was just trying to find a use for the macros window that was in game. It would be nice to have something that could at least play two motifs but you are right, knowing the dynamics of the class makes for a much better experience and a sought after player.

The DPS is new to me since in EQ1 and 2 I was a ShadowKnight and tanked ( all endgame material included ) so playing a support role is new but I like the added benefits to the bard class that I dont see in any of the others. I will probably tweek my souls a bit more but good input none the less.

thanks.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by del'Vhar View Post
    To help me keep my motifs up I used the following macro:

#show Motif of Regeneration
    /cast Motif of Regeneration
    wait 25
    /say del'Vhar is refreshing Motifs now

The worked by giving me a handy speech bubble to remind me to refresh motifs (I would have used /whiper, but you cant whisper to yourself apparently) and after it pops up I just recast all my motifs.
    However, there was a problem with this: Rift only allows one macro to run at a time, so it stopped me from using any other macros (I like to macro all my spells with a /stopcasting at the start as it helps mitiage some latency issues from being in Aus)

To get around this I just transferred the macro to my G15 keyboard.
    This macro presses my keybind for 1 motif, then after a 25 second delay hits another keybind that I have macroed in game to do the /say

I still have to press the same amount of buttons, but I get reminded to do it just before my macros run out, it makes it much easier to keep them up while distracted in WFs.
    That is interesting, I know currently I watch the buffs window to see when they are coming down but having a /say pop up in chat window would be nice too. Good idea.

I know my keyboard lacks the set up currently, I was trying to remember how I had things worked in EQ but it has been 6 years or more since I have truely played it. I think what it comes down to is key binding layout, trying to use less mouse pointer action will help to increase effeciency.
    Last edited by argolic; 02-08-2011 at 05:37 PM.

+ Reply to Thread