+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Planar Switch not a good top teir ability

Soulwalker

Default Planar Switch not a good top teir ability

I understand that it could be a nice option to have when you want to transfer over your points to another character, or say build up your threat on the main target switch to an off target and then bam him with a full combo. But honestly with Rift Scavanger why would you want to take your built up combo points off a Mob that is going to die. Getting 15% of your health back just because you did not spend your last finishing move is quite a large amount of health back in comparison to the little damage you are going to pull off with a finisher on a new target. Plus rift stalkers are kinda AOE tanks when they are tanking, I really think that for the top of teir they could have a better ability, or allow Rift scavenger to proc and then Switch what combo points you had on the now dead mob to a new one. Rift Transfer also does not help anyone who is mixing with blade dancer and wants the proc from Combat culmination.

If this works that those abilities can already proc and then you transfer points from the now dead mob disregard this post, otherwise I would love to hear what others think.

Just some ideas from a Riftstalker tank. Besides that I am quite liking the idea of a rogue tank, and so far has worked quite well for me. My other role is sabatuer and in several runs of IT i have switched out to my Riftstalker and taking of tanking duty when another tank could not muster enough threat to handle multiple monsters.

Quote Originally Posted by mightydov View Post
    I understand that it could be a nice option to have when you want to transfer over your points to another character, or say build up your threat on the main target switch to an off target and then bam him with a full combo. But honestly with Rift Scavanger why would you want to take your built up combo points off a Mob that is going to die. Getting 15% of your health back just because you did not spend your last finishing move is quite a large amount of health back in comparison to the little damage you are going to pull off with a finisher on a new target. Plus rift stalkers are kinda AOE tanks when they are tanking, I really think that for the top of teir they could have a better ability, or allow Rift scavenger to proc and then Switch what combo points you had on the now dead mob to a new one. Rift Transfer also does not help anyone who is mixing with blade dancer and wants the proc from Combat culmination.

If this works that those abilities can already proc and then you transfer points from the now dead mob disregard this post, otherwise I would love to hear what others think.

Just some ideas from a Riftstalker tank. Besides that I am quite liking the idea of a rogue tank, and so far has worked quite well for me. My other role is sabatuer and in several runs of IT i have switched out to my Riftstalker and taking of tanking duty when another tank could not muster enough threat to handle multiple monsters.
    yeah i didnt like it either, but i do see how it could be useful in pvp situations if someone got away from you(if thats even possible when your riftstalker LOL) you could transfer those combo points to another person. other than that, i dont see how useful this skill actually would be in pve situations. i would rather just kill the mob with combo points and heal myself for the next guy xD

Updated; February 13, 2011; Nova Bench 3; Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate; AMD Phenom II X4 945 @ 3975 MHz; Graphics Card:Sapphire Vapor-X HD 5770 OC@960/1400
    Verified NovaBench Score: 1093
    Validated by CPU-Z

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by rich1051414 View Post
    yeah i didnt like it either, but i do see how it could be useful in pvp situations if someone got away from you(if thats even possible when your riftstalker LOL) you could transfer those combo points to another person. other than that, i dont see how useful this skill actually would be in pve situations. i would rather just kill the mob with combo points and heal myself for the next guy xD
    PVP yes it could be useful, but then why not put it in the pvp soul. Everyone would love it their, in top tier riftstalker, not really seeing why its useful.

A modification would also be good. Say keep the ability the way it is, but add 100%threat for the next 5 sec. Now its a viable save for tanking, and still effective in pvp.

Telaran

I would agree that it is an ignorable power atm.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by rich1051414 View Post
    In pvp when they get away from me (or more often, when I find a better target to kill) I just refresh my Rift Guard (30m Range) before switching targets.

I also am less than excited about Planar Switch as a 31 point ability. I haven't tried it yet though so I don't know how useful it actually is. I never considered whether or not you could transfer left over points from a dead target... if so, then wow, yeah I can get excited about Planar Switch and definitely include it in my builds, otherwise though, the only reason I'd include it in a build is if I was going for Scatter the Shadows.
    Last edited by Zemm; 02-08-2011 at 10:29 AM.

lgw

It's actually pretty useful in crowded situations, twice on a tanking class.
    Considering it's off GCD, only 10 energy , short CD and gives you a free CP on top, I can't see what's not to like

Quote Originally Posted by Zemm View Post
    In pvp when they get away from me (or more often, when I find a better target to kill) I just refresh my Rift Guard (30m Range) before switching targets.

I also am less than excited about Planar Switch as a 31 point ability. I haven't tried it yet though so I don't know how useful it actually is. I never considered whether or not you could transfer left over points from a dead target... if so, then wow, yeah I can get excited about Planar Switch and definitely include it in my builds, otherwise though, the only reason I'd include it in a build is if I was going for Scatter the Shadows.
    well i could see its usefulness if you see a guy with VERY low HP to transfer your combo points right before the guy dies, giving you a full heal off there death, i think this alone is the only thing it has going for it

Updated; February 13, 2011; Nova Bench 3; Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate; AMD Phenom II X4 945 @ 3975 MHz; Graphics Card:Sapphire Vapor-X HD 5770 OC@960/1400
    Verified NovaBench Score: 1093
    Validated by CPU-Z

Quote Originally Posted by mightydov View Post

You could use it the other way around, build threat on the strongest mob and after having all the shields up, transfer the points to one of the lesser mobs before it dies and get some hp back.

I could see it being useful in pve, but I don't think any riftstalker tank build will really need it. For pvp its meh.

I think the thing to remember is even though this game has a very large selections of roles with the soul system, some specs will simply be better than others, and some talents are bound to be not useful. Just can't really get around that in any game.

Rift Master

Its pretty much garbage for its placement.

Telaran

tanked last beta 32 in rift is sexxy for the memory capture teleport LOS pulling

the 31 point ability is pretty much worthless i thank trion for that..

free up a point for one of the good abilitys in the tree..

would i like it fixed HELL YEA

does it matter .. no

id like to see it switch the points and heal you as if the previous target died .. maybe 30 sec cooldown .

give you an emergency heal for tankin..

or even some new on phase shift ability, already have move speed, stun immune, and + crit on phase shift

how about a heal, or even ticking for PB aoe for 3 sec after a shift,maybe damage reduction, something to continue the theme of being based on your phase shifts..

-punt

I'd like to see it switched to a global cooldown reset with a under 10min cooldown on it. An Oh S button reset
    I realize it is unlikely that you'll pop all your "long" cooldowns, but perhaps it would be more beneficial than timing a heal especially in boss fights where there isn't another mob around.

+ Reply to Thread