+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Barbed trap worthless vs booby trap?

Shadowlander

Default Barbed trap worthless vs booby trap?

Title says it all. Booby appears to deal instantaneous, area of effect higher damage. Did I overlook anything?

Pretty much what I was thinking. I didn't find Barbed trap that useful anyway, for leveling (mobs die easily enough without even getting within range).

Ascendant

i literalyy never casted a single trap in 3 betas

On the other hand, Barbed Trap requires 6 points in Saboteur. Booby Trap requires 32.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cinerus View Post
    On the other hand, Barbed Trap requires 6 points in Saboteur. Booby Trap requires 32.
    And thus, barbed is for low level/off specs, and booby trap is for highish level main spec Sabs.

Seems fine to me.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Foofmonger View Post
    And thus, barbed is for low level/off specs, and booby trap is for highish level main spec Sabs.

Seems fine to me.
    Except that it sucks the second you get it. At rank 1, it does 100 damage over 10 seconds. That's more time than you need to kill anything at this level, so your logic is flawed.

Doesn't seem fine to me.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Oxygen View Post
    Except that it sucks the second you get it. At rank 1, it does 100 damage over 10 seconds. That's more time than you need to kill anything at this level, so your logic is flawed.

Doesn't seem fine to me.
    Its a trap. Think about it. You can use it against a different target then your main target.

Shadowlander

Its a trap. Think about it. You can use it against a different target then your main target.
    Hardly easy to do and / or worth the DPS loss against your initial target. Plus, booby trap would do that better.

Barbed trap really has no use.

"Crito, I owe a **** to Asclepius; will you remember to pay the debt? "
    SUPREME GRILLMASTER of The Enclave

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Oxygen View Post
    Hardly easy to do and / or worth the DPS loss against your initial target. Plus, booby trap would do that better.
    Its not hard to do, and its no DPS loss, you set it up first. And booby trap is 32 points up in the tree, while barbed is 6 lol, for the last time.

You realize everyone with points in Sab isn't going 32 points deep right? Or that they don't magically start out at level 30+... sigh

Telaran

I think most of the traps and bombs need a looking at. Other than testing them out when i first got them I have never intentionally cast a trap or bomb (except adhesive)

Really I think traps should be made with a defensive mind set. Entangling trap is actually a very good defensive trap. I haven't dropped a point into it but it will definitely help at higher levels to keep you alive. Before battle cast trap start fight as normal. If things go bad run to your trap it freeze the enemy for 8 seconds which is plenty of time to load another full set of charges on the enemy.

Plane Touched

Almost all saboteur traps are useless(only booby trap does a decent dmg), don't even worth to cast or waste a soul point in trap skills.

I've found the traps to be helpful with getting a head-start on DoTs for an add in a pull, before getting the charges set up to detonate.

They're not going to be for everybody, but I like the playstyle option for being able to put it down in-combat for an extra DoT.

Telaran

I find traps are actually quite helpful.. you set an entangled trap down detonate on the mob and move back a little so it cant touch you while you proceed to add more charges and blow it up dead, later you get land mines and does the same thing and i find that booby trap is a great way to do AoE damage fast (if you get the no cooldown talent) does more damage than sharpnel charge if you fully charge it cause you would have laid down more than 5 traps!

Chemical bomb sucks though lol its like 20 damage a tic... Barbed trap is not that good either I didnt get a point into that

Shadowlander

Its not hard to do, and its no DPS loss, you set it up first.
    What if your primary target walks into the trap? It requires unnecessary management. Booby could also do more damage, faster, in an area.

And booby trap is 32 points up in the tree, while barbed is 6 lol, for the last time.
    You realize everyone with points in Sab isn't going 32 points deep right? Or that they don't magically start out at level 30+... sigh
    The point of the thread is to compare both in efficiency, though, not in "wether you'll spec 32 sub or not".

Besides, barbed is bad, -no matter what soul composition you happen to be-. That's probably where my main issue should shift to.

EDIT: Also, keep this thread about barbed vs booby, please.

As for people claiming to be getting a "head start" on the damage, realize that you're losing some time setting the trap up and kiting (depending on the case) a monster into it. My targets usually don't live for the trap to even deal it's full damage in the first place.
    Last edited by Oxygen; 02-09-2011 at 10:17 AM.
    Agree with me. If you don't, chaos will ensue, and many will suffer as a result. You wouldn't want to be known as a person who creates suffering, do you?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast