+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ranger without Pet?

Soulwalker

Default Ranger without Pet?

Hi all. I'm a WoW player and my main is Rogue. Bu bored from WoW, my sub will end in few days and i started to look after other games. So i'm completely new and noob to Rift.

In wow i hate Hunters. I was always interested in Ranger class, but Hunter doesn't feel right to me. Just can't stand them to play, i think reason is the pet. I played all classes, and have 8 of classes over 80. Warlock pets are ok, Death Knight's Ghoul is ok etc, but Hunter's pet is really annoying for me.

So i wanna learn, can i play a class like combo of Rogue/Ranger (without pet). Deadly in close combat, mediocre damage at ranged is what's in my mind. Is it possible?
    Last edited by Gundarin; 02-08-2011 at 06:17 AM.

Rift Master

Marksman is basically a ranger with no pet, though the ranger style class is FoTM at the moment and will no doubt get nerfed a bit

Marksman is your old school type ranger but you will need to play with other souls to work out ways to get at range to get the most out of mark.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by nefermore View Post
    Marksman is your old school type ranger but you will need to play with other souls to work out ways to get at range to get the most out of mark.
    Thats pretty easy 32 point ranger, 15 point rift stalker. You get 2 teleports out of the rift along with +20% armour, +15% attack power and +15% endurance then have about 20 points to spend elsewhere as you please. 32/15/19 looks like itll be pretty standard rogue setup tbh. Those 3 passives out of rift and the extra teleports seem unmissable to me

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdine View Post
    Marksman is basically a ranger with no pet, though the ranger style class is FoTM at the moment and will no doubt get nerfed a bit
    Quote Originally Posted by nefermore View Post
    How Marksman works? With Combo Points + Finishing Moves like Rogue and Feral from WoW (and Witch Hunter from War)?

Quote Originally Posted by Gundarin View Post
    How Marksman works? With Combo Points + Finishing Moves like Rogue and Feral from WoW (and Witch Hunter from War)?
    All the rogue souls (even healing bards) work off of the combo point system, it's actually pretty cool.

The ranger is only "OP" because the pig is a beast while leveling, I never cared how many mobs my pig got (bard/ranger), i'd just heal him through it. Through and arrow or two into the mix, and off to the next fight.

That being said, I was pretty successful in pvp as a bard/ranger (no pet) and a bard/marksman. I pre-fer ranger, because of the snare early on in the ranger build, and i love trick-shot. But MM is a wicked ranged soul as well.
    Therylin - R5 Healer
    Thericia- R4 Rogue

You could go Marksman/Assassin/Nightblade
    You get poison/elemental arrows with some pretty nifty damage boosts for PvE
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...0V0Vh.0VMcxcbV

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Concept2 View Post
    Thanks.

But i have some more questions.

Can i use Marksman talents with Assasin talents in combat? Or should i change it before combat begins, and choose which abilities i use? (Like changing talent tree in wow, before BG starts.)

I mean can i use ranged abilities with melee abilities at the same time? Like Ranged Finishing Move, with combo points from Melee abilities?

(Btw talent trees Seems interesting, i love talent trees, and i was really angry (and still i am) when Blizard changed talent trees, they made it simplier and force you to play same talent with others. I loved to try different talents and even hybrid talents, it was fun especially for Death Knights.)
    Last edited by Gundarin; 02-08-2011 at 09:12 AM.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Gundarin View Post
    Thanks.

But i have some more questions.

Can i use Marksman talents with Assasin talents in combat? Or should i change it before combat begins, and choose which abilities i use? (Like changing talent tree in wow, before BG starts.)

I mean can i use ranged abilities with melee abilities at the same time? Like Ranged Finishing Move, with combo points from Melee abilities?

(Btw talent trees Seems interesting, i love talent trees, and i was really angry (and still i am) when Blizard changed talent trees, they made it simplier and force you to play same talent with others. I loved to try different talents and even hybrid talents, it was fun especially for Death Knights.)

It's different in rift.

You get three souls; you use all 3 always unless by choice you don't want them.
    Most passives from souls work in synergy...Example a passive which says adds +%attack power in Riftstalker soul simply does just that regardless of how many riftstalker abilities you use. etc.

You try to pick souls which compliment eachother.

You could have a RANGED (not ranger) rogue that when in close combat uses assn attacks if you want.

Just get in beta 7 and it will make sense in a few lvls.

Some pointers in your first beta:
    Trainers train your skills... lots of new players ignore the NPCs that are called Rogue trainer etc... and then these same peope suck because they never aquire upgraded skills ever... so they are hitting higher lvl mobs with a rank one ability then rant "my DPS sucks, this class SUCKS!"
    Read what a role is and as soon as you can buy one. Figure out what it does.
    At 13-15 head to the main city.. do all the quests to aquire new souls MAX them out if you can so you have ALL souls.
    Click on all venders and NPCs that either train you or perform a function and find out what they are;where they are and explore all the menus once you click them to see what functions they perform : example a "Planar vender?!? whats that?" well finding out out is one click so do it.

Spend a decent amount of time respecing, testing out, and trying different soul combinations.

In my opinion; finding out what stuff does and how the game works ; how to aquire and train skills ; how to respec, how to spec; etc is more important that exploring a zone... and trinyg to learn this stuff in a forum is much more difficult thant playing the game itself.

Those tips are more important than planning an endgame build.
    Last edited by Beans; 02-08-2011 at 10:49 AM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Concept2 View Post

You have to get 32 points if your going that deep into marks, its insane not to.

Quick reload and strafe are just too good, and you can ust get rid. Drop the poison points from your assassin tree, and you only need 1 point in melted skin in the nightblade tree.

+ Reply to Thread