+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My MM/Ranger/Assassin Build

Telaran

Default My MM/Ranger/Assassin Build

I'm currently level 29, and I used this build to absolutely **** in PvP, as well as solo effectively (including closing major rifts solo).
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...oV0Vhzz.VMo.0z

Marksman is the primary tree, with all the major damage boosting abilities picked up, and On the Double as the only utility skill, but a sprint on a 30s cooldown is very good. Only damage boosting abilities (except the root, a requirement in PvP) in ranger were picked up till i got the Divert Rage skill which is very useful for soloing rifts. I haven't gone into assassin much, but out of all the other trees, it has the most skills that support a pure DPS role (crit, bleed on crit, pure damage increase, etc.), as well as poisons, which I believe trigger off ranged attacks as well.

With this build, I can crit for above 1k with Deadeye Shot, and above 1200 with Crossfire with no external buffs. with Fanout and lightning fury, as well as crossfire, AoE is very very strong, with the possibilty of taking out a tightly clumped group of people in less than 10 seconds if their healers aren't paying attention. With this build, I get tops kills, tops killing blows and tops damage done. A nerf is most likely coming, but it's fun to take down somebody before they even know what hit em.

Soulwalker

I'm finding MM/Assassin/Ranger to be pretty fun, also. What do you plan for it to look like at 50?

At 30 I had a lot more points in Assassin. The poisons do proc off ranged weapons as well as Serrated Blades. Murderous intent can also influence your ranged damage, too.

This is what I planned for 50: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...dk.0VMcxzb.V0s

It's basically designed to offer both frontload and sustained dps. It doesn't work as well when I'm at the low end of the Warfront levels, but once I've caught up it tends to absolutely shred people. I do have a problem getting out of situations when people start getting in my face, but, I've always sucked at that type of play.

And yes, I fully expect this to be nerfed pretty hard.

Why exactly does everyone take assassin as the 3rd soul...?

You want nightblade, and at 50 you will be using the pvp soul anyway.

Also get rid of crossfire, collateral damage and at least 2 points in sharpshooter and put in getaway, static shot, repelling shot and rapid extrication.
    Last edited by Cyrkle; 02-07-2011 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrkle View Post
    Why exactly does everyone take assassin as the 3rd soul...?

You want nightblade, and at 50 you will be using the pvp soul anyway.

Also get rid of crossfire, collateral damage and at least 2 points in sharpshooter and put in getaway, static shot, repelling shot and rapid extrication.
    Assassin allows for a lot of DoT damage and temp buffs after crits, just read through the skills.. Those all effect the ranged abilities of a ranger or mm.

You can get 31 points into assassin which all help the ranged rogues.. So it's slightly broken imo.. but from a ranged perspective, its amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by vVvKraftdinner View Post
    Assassin allows for a lot of DoT damage and temp buffs after crits, just read through the skills.. Those all effect the ranged abilities of a ranger or mm.

You can get 31 points into assassin which all help the ranged rogues.. So it's slightly broken imo.. but from a ranged perspective, its amazing.
    Did you even look at both trees? : /

With 17 points in assassin you gain 5% crit, 10% damage increase when you crit, 20% increase on crits and a low damage bleed.

With 12 points in nightblade you gain 15% damage on combo point generating abilities, 15% damage on finishers, and 10% extra damage on all abilities. Not to mention a 20m out of combat incapacitate instead of 3m.

So you are basically spending an extra 5 points for 5% crit and a bleed. Standing alone I suppose this is slightly arguable, but given the points we have to invest in ranger/marksman, spending an extra 5 points for such a limited gain isn't worth it.

But as I mentioned before, you will almost defiantly want to have the pvp soul as the 3rd soul at 50 anyway simply because of pardon the interruption and the healing debuff.
    Last edited by Cyrkle; 02-07-2011 at 06:55 PM.

Soulwalker

When leveling my Marksman/Ranger I used a similar set up, though put more into the utility talents instead of damage oriented ones. And I used 0pt Saboteur for the Adhesive Bomb.

Though I agree with Cyrkle that Nightblade seems to give you more bang per point of investment in the tree than Assassin does, and requires much less investment which are points that can be put elsewhere.

I don't know about the Wolf pet but I know the Boar doesn't advance past level 30, and you can't get enough points in Ranger to get the Greater Dire Wolf/Razorbeast by investing so heavily in Assassin all while keeping at least 31 points in Marksman (though I like 32 to get Quick Reload).

Did you even look at both trees? : /

With 17 points in assassin you gain 5% crit, 10% damage increase when you crit, 20% increase on crits and a low damage bleed.

With 12 points in nightblade you gain 15% damage on combo point generating abilities, 15% damage on finishers, and 10% extra damage on all abilities. Not to mention a 20m out of combat incapacitate instead of 3m.

So you are basically spending an extra 5 points for 5% crit and a bleed. Standing alone I suppose this is slightly arguable, but given the points we have to invest in ranger/marksman, spending an extra 5 points for such a limited gain isn't worth it.

But as I mentioned before, you will almost defiantly want to have the pvp soul as the 3rd soul at 50 anyway simply because of pardon the interruption and the healing debuff.
    Try looking at the Assassin Poisons as well. Night Blade has the fixed 15% bonuses yes, but with Lethal and Leeching poisons, Serrated blades procs on every arrow, EVERY arrow, including all 8 potential targets of a Fan Out.
    This MAY be due to screwed up Proc rates, it says 20% chance for a poison, but I will swear it is more like 40-50%. As it stands it is not at all uncommon to see an arrow hit with 4 additional damage numbers off of it. (Master Archer, Poison1, Posion2, Serrated Blades)

If you are an Archer that Melees a lot, Nightblade all the way, if you stay at range Assassin.

This is what I am building towards, the PvP souls while nice has several of its effects already duplicated here;
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...oR.0VMctMb.x0o
    Last edited by CyclopsSlayer; 02-07-2011 at 07:50 PM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by CyclopsSlayer View Post
    Try looking at the Assassin Poisons as well. Night Blade has the fixed 15% bonuses yes, but with Lethal and Leeching poisons, Serrated blades procs on every arrow, EVERY arrow, including all 8 potential targets of a Fan Out.
    This MAY be due to screwed up Proc rates, it says 20% chance for a poison, but I will swear it is more like 40-50%. As it stands it is not at all uncommon to see an arrow hit with 4 additional damage numbers off of it. (Master Archer, Poison1, Posion2, Serrated Blades)

If you are an Archer that Melees a lot, Nightblade all the way, if you stay at range Assassin.

This is what I am building towards, the PvP souls while nice has several of its effects already duplicated here;
    I have been playing PvP without a pet (ranger).

Do you guys find it works in PvP?

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfheart View Post

I forget I have one, really. It goes to attack the target when I start attacking and then I just sort of let it run around until it dies. I'm sure it helps a little, but once it's dead I don't bother summoning it again until I've respawned myself. It would be much more useful in a 1v1 situation when you can make better sense of your situation, but running in PUG warfronts when everyone is just smashing into each other with no rhyme or reason, it's basically just a temporary damage add until it's killed.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by captainmagnificent View Post
    I forget I have one, really. It goes to attack the target when I start attacking and then I just sort of let it run around until it dies. I'm sure it helps a little, but once it's dead I don't bother summoning it again until I've respawned myself. It would be much more useful in a 1v1 situation when you can make better sense of your situation, but running in PUG warfronts when everyone is just smashing into each other with no rhyme or reason, it's basically just a temporary damage add until it's killed.
    Yeah, that is what I was thinking too..

It is why I switch to another role, and go Rift/Marks/AS. The Rift stalker lets me use Shadow Shift (0 points) handy to get away.
    Last edited by Hawkeye_HOL; 02-07-2011 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CyclopsSlayer View Post

Well first of all this would be a better build along the lines of what you are looking for. http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...bo.0VMct0b.Vro

AoEs are not going to be a factor at all in pvp.

If you are going to drop the pvp soul for a pure damage spec I would far prefer this http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...ubo.V0xM.qGo0u You gain an entire extra shot + the armor reduction that comes with it in piercing shot, and you gain an instant cast 5 second silence... =p

Telaran

I think you're vastly overestimating the damage combo builders do. Currently, my swift shot does around 100 dmg, critting between 150-200. 15 more damage (30 on crits) is not a huge jump in damage, while 5% crit can make the difference between my Deadeye Shot hitting for 400-600 damage or hitting for 800-1000+. I actually tried to theorycraft all the trees, but no other trees offers as many straight-up damage increases as Assassin, especially in the crit section. I was going for a crit-centric build, which is why I chose sin instead of nightblade. I'm a firm believer in random burst rather than sustained damage in PvP.

At 50, I would go after this build http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M....0VMcx0b.AMo0u

Two free points can be assigned to either utility (CQC, Static Shot, Repelling shot, Blinding Powder) or some minor DPS increase (Poison Potency, allowing Poison Malice). I didn't pick up Quick Extrication, Static Shot, CQC or Repelling Shot for a few reasons. Static Shot is a horrible root that lasts for 5 seconds and breaks on damage. It doesn't even work half the time, and most of the time, random AoE damage, or DoTs break the root, not even slowing down your target. Swift Shot has no min range, and neither does Rapid Fire Shot. It is not hard to strafe around your target to get enough range to use Hasted Shot. The movement speed more than allows enough room to get off a Crippling Shot, which doesn't break on damage, and allows you to use Barbed Shot as your enemy tries to chase you down. While Repelling shot looks good on paper, 15m is not that much. Most of the time, the enemy is running towards you anyways, so they quickly make up the distance as they are flying through the air. I was specced into it, but I found it utterly useless in attempting to make space that lasted more than a few seconds. Lastly, the only things Quick Extrication affects that you would use are On the Double and CQC (If you picked it up). While it seems good, listing all those skills, most of them are garbage that would not be worth spending the points for. If it reduced the CD of say.. Bullseye or Quick Reload, it would be worth the points. Currently, not so much.

AoE's are definitely a factor in PvP, if you're responding to the appropriate situation. Like I mentioned, Crossfire + Fanout + Lightning Fury can take out a tightly clumped group (like a group running back from respawning, apply thier buffs and not expecting to die so soon) in a matter of seconds. They can also apply pressure to enemy healers, who may choose to heal the wrong target, allowing your team to focus down the really important people. I can't count how many times a healer decided to heal himself when he dropped to 80% rather than his teammate who is being focused.

Lastly, in my opinion, the build is meant to be a long range nuker, not a one on one, respond to any situation type deal. It just feels that way because of the sheer amount of damage marksman deals at the moment. You will find this build working really well when you're not being focused and can just stand atop your pedestal launching devastating attacks, and then be frustrated when you have to duke it out, or get focused by 2 or more people (after they realize how big of a threat you are) and have no way of escaping.

Kor
    Telaran

Great post.

Anyone using riftstalker rather than ranger?

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfheart View Post

In PvP I may start with a Pet, but then when it needs to be resummoned I forget about it, 8 seconds is way way too slow. I actually only have 6 points in Ranger, for Crippling Shot, Pet for PvE, the Headshot instant on the move finisher, and Predatory Instincts.

Assassin I use for the Poisons, Serrated blades, Blinding powder and the various damage/crit modifiers. L50 I intend currently to have 20pts here.

Marksman is the core with 40 pts.

Well first of all this would be a better build along the lines of what you are looking for. http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...bo.0VMct0b.Vro

AoEs are not going to be a factor at all in pvp.

If you are going to drop the pvp soul for a pure damage spec I would far prefer this http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...ubo.V0xM.qGo0u You gain an entire extra shot + the armor reduction that comes with it in piercing shot, and you gain an instant cast 5 second silence... =p
    Interesting concepts there, lots to think about.

I will dispute the AoE being useless point, but yes they are of limited use versus smart opponents. So far there are an awful lot of not-so-smart opponents.
    The reason AoE Fan out comes in handy so far is that it tracks LOS and Spread range not from me, but from the primary target I have selected, so with full range extensions I can possibly hit someone at 50m behind a tree/rock in stealth. Stealthers ARE an eligible target. So likely a mechanic that needs to be fixed.

But yeah still refining the build(s). Some good ideas there, but Penetrating Shot seems awfully expensive at 4pts for a mere 140 AC reduction at base level. A mid 20's Tank has what 3-4000 AC? Now maybe the skill scales well when you level it up, but I would like to see numbers first.

edit: BTW, did they make Nightblade weapon enchants apply to bows now? Prior to the start of Beta6 they all were Melee weapon only, now it seems the Melee restriction is gone. If so then yes, NB needs a LOT of serious looking into. You MAY have made a convert, heh.
    Last edited by CyclopsSlayer; 02-08-2011 at 07:42 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast