+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sab suggestion

Plane Touched

Default Sab suggestion

In fear of sabs getting completely nerfed into the ground before the next beta, I'll post my little suggestion. The problem with big crits going off boils down to one thing, blast charges, no matter how many are stacked, are considered to be one attack when detonated. This basically drives the crit rate through the roof compared to other attacks.

So my suggestion would be to just treat blast charges individually when they explode. Instead of 5 blast charges counting as one, they would count as 5 separate charges. This way the sab stays as a burst class, but the chance for that insane crit is exponentially unlikely.

Plane Touched

Figured I'd bump this in the day time. Also, I'm just using blast charges as an example, it would work the same way for all types of charges.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by darklcd View Post
    Figured I'd bump this in the day time. Also, I'm just using blast charges as an example, it would work the same way for all types of charges.
    From a balance perspective, I don't think that would be too bad. If you don't consider crits, then you'll do the same amount of damage. If you do, then the odds of having as large a crit aren't nearly as good. I suppose, at that point, then it depends on how crit-happy we're supposed to be as Saboteurs.

From a lore-ish perspective, I don't think that your idea as neatly captures the 'all or nothing' motif of a Saboteur. As they're all offense, with CC scattered throughout, but little defensive abilities, it seems to me that large crits are integral to the core of the class. After all, a Rogue that isn't playing cheap isn't being much of a Rogue, now, is he?

IMHO, The Saboteur remains the paragon of 'kill or be killed'. To take it a step further, they adhere to the belief of 'Whoever gets the first strike will win.' If they cannot take enough damage to go 'toe-to-toe', it doesn't make much sense to nerf their damage.

Plane Touched

Look around though, at the end of the day most people don't care about how a class fits into the lore given to them, they care about the fact that they just got hit for 2/3 of their health. I completely agree, saboteurs as explained are an all or nothing class right now, but the "all" far outweighs the "nothing" when it's left up to an inflated crit chance. I'm not saying my suggestion is the best, but it would still keep the class as a burst class while throwing at least a little balance into the equation.
    Last edited by darklcd; 02-08-2011 at 07:49 PM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by darklcd View Post
    Look around though, at the end of the day most people don't care about how a class fits into the lore given to them, they care about the fact that they just got hit for 2/3 of their health. I completely agree, saboteurs as explained are an all or nothing class right now, but the "all" far outweighs the "nothing" when it's left up to an inflated crit chance. I'm not saying my suggestion is the best, but it would still keep the class as a burst class while throwing at least a little balance into the equation.
    Well, if it's being thought of from a PvP standpoint, which is where most all of the concern has been originating from what I can tell, then I wonder if it's slightly less of a rock-paper-scissors outcome, similar to how some WoW class duels are/were, or if it's supposed to be more of a "Look, the glass cannon! GET HIM, GUYS!"

I saw a post where someone recommended popping a tutle cooldown to mitigate an incoming full charge stack, then jump the Sab. That sounded pretty good to me, and I'm curious how effective a Sab is on the defensive. I guess that depends on if they're into the PvP soul and RS.

+ Reply to Thread