+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What does 'Physical Trauma' actually do?

Soulwalker

Default What does 'Physical Trauma' actually do?

In the Assassin tree there is a talent called Physical Trauma. It reads:

Increases the duration of your Puncture, Jagged Strike, and Impale by 4 to 8 seconds.

What does it do to Puncture, Jagged Strike, and Impale? Well, it imply that the duration of the ability is increased by 4 to 8 seconds. Ok... so, what does this do for damage? Does it stretch the damage out or increase the number of ticks of the bleed?

What I am asking is, say Puncture does 100 bleed damage over 10 seconds, and ticks every 1 second. (ticks means, when the bleed does damage.) Puncture would deal 10 damage every 1 second. So if the duration is increased by 8 seconds from Physical Trauma, does the damage increase or is the damage stretched out? The new puncture might do this:

100 bleed damage over 18 seconds, ticks every 1 second. Puncture would deal about 5.5 damage every second for 18 seconds. The damage does not increase, only duration. So, the damage is stretched out.

What if this just means the number of ticks is increased? The new puncture might do this:

Puncture would deal 10 damage every second over 18 seconds. Puncture would deal 180 damage total. Thus increasing the damage for the duration.

Does anyone know what Physical Trauma actually does?

Quote Originally Posted by zaeith View Post
    In the Assassin tree there is a talent called Physical Trauma. It reads:

Increases the duration of your Puncture, Jagged Strike, and Impale by 4 to 8 seconds.

What does it do to Puncture, Jagged Strike, and Impale? Well, it imply that the duration of the ability is increased by 4 to 8 seconds. Ok... so, what does this do for damage? Does it stretch the damage out or increase the number of ticks of the bleed?

What I am asking is, say Puncture does 100 bleed damage over 10 seconds, and ticks every 1 second. (ticks means, when the bleed does damage.) Puncture would deal 10 damage every 1 second. So if the duration is increased by 8 seconds from Physical Trauma, does the damage increase or is the damage stretched out? The new puncture might do this:

100 bleed damage over 18 seconds, ticks every 1 second. Puncture would deal about 5.5 damage every second for 18 seconds. The damage does not increase, only duration. So, the damage is stretched out.

What if this just means the number of ticks is increased? The new puncture might do this:

Puncture would deal 10 damage every second over 18 seconds. Puncture would deal 180 damage total. Thus increasing the damage for the duration.

Does anyone know what Physical Trauma actually does?
    If it would be 100 damage over 10 seconds, with that upgrade, it would do 10 damage, but tick 4-8 more times, that's how i read it, and would be useless if this wasnt the case...

Updated; February 13, 2011; Nova Bench 3; Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate; AMD Phenom II X4 945 @ 3975 MHz; Graphics Card:Sapphire Vapor-X HD 5770 OC@960/1400
    Verified NovaBench Score: 1093
    Validated by CPU-Z

Rift Disciple

Yes, but it may not actually work right now. The game is in beta and frankly, assassin is not a very good soul atm so maybe part of that is due to bugs.
    Last edited by zonzai; 02-07-2011 at 04:58 PM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by zonzai View Post
    Yes, but it may not actually work right now. The game is in beta and frankly, assassin is not a very good soul atm so maybe part of that is due to bugs.
    To say that Assassin isn't a good soul is a bit misleading. From a PvE perspective, the soul functions perfectly fine. However, there's some definite flaws in PvP.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by rich1051414 View Post
    If it would be 100 damage over 10 seconds, with that upgrade, it would do 10 damage, but tick 4-8 more times, that's how i read it, and would be useless if this wasnt the case...
    Yeah, I hope. Has anyone tested this to see if it actually increases the damage?

Rift Disciple

What are the flaws in PvP besides the amount of setup required?

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Mizhemp View Post
    To say that Assassin isn't a good soul is a bit misleading. From a PvE perspective, the soul functions perfectly fine. However, there's some definite flaws in PvP.
    If youre going to PvE there are better souls to use. Assassin offers nothing in particular for PvE. Average damage and no real utility.

The entire soul is sub par all around.

Rift Disciple

What soul do you suggest then?

Rift Disciple

No. I played all the way from 1 to 30 with assassin as my primary soul. Don't get me wrong, assassin is great as a SECONDARY soul. But as your primary soul it is not so great. Maybe that changes at higher levels but we'd have to ask an alpha tester about that.

-EDIT- But lets not get too far off topic here.
    Last edited by zonzai; 02-07-2011 at 05:33 PM.

Soulwalker

No. I played all the way from 1 to 30 with assassin as my primary soul. Don't get me wrong, assassin is great as a SECONDARY soul. But as your primary soul it is not so great. Maybe that changes at higher levels but we'd have to ask an alpha tester about that.
    So did I. It works perfectly fine.

Rift Disciple

So did I. It works perfectly fine.
    Clearly you haven't tried the game as a bladedancer/rs/bard, rb/vk/champ, ele/storm/war or a MM/Ranger/assassin or any of the other completely viable choices out there.

If Trion decides to boost assassins I guess I and a bunch of other people are right and if they don't I guess you and a few other people are right. We'll see.

Soulwalker

Clearly you haven't tried the game as a bladedancer/rs/bard, rb/vk/champ, ele/storm/war or a MM/Ranger/assassin or any of the other completely viable choices out there.

If Trion decides to boost assassins I guess I and a bunch of other people are right and if they don't I guess you and a few other people are right. We'll see.
    Compelling retort, friend. Instead of contributing with an adult response such as, "Interesting you feel that way. Could you perhaps post your build at 30? How did you handle X situation with Y mobs? What was your downtime? What was your average DPS? Do you have any parses. I Tried XXX build, and struggled with ZZZZ whereas AAAA build had no issues," you respond with ignorant presumptions. This has really helped develop a meaningful dialog on the state of Assassins in this game.

+ Reply to Thread