+ Reply to Thread

Thread: motif suggestion, any thoughts?

Shadowlander

Default motif suggestion, any thoughts?

Let me start off with - I love rifts bard soul. I dont mind pressing 5 different motifs every 30 seconds, I really dont mind it at all.

However, perhaps it might be a good suggestion to work motifs into a 3 motif at a time max, that way if you have multiple bards in the group they will both be useful. Not only would it cut down on the amount of time spent using the motifs, it would give groups who have more than 1 bard something to do.

The only real concern I would see later in game would be that raids would only want to take 1 bard, this way having 2 of them wouldnt be such a bad thing.

Just a random thought, perhaps to invoke some discussion while we wait for the next beta phase, Honestly I really dont care if they change it, and I certainly hope they do not dumb down the class by any means, I love what rift has done to bard, so much so that I am talking about them on an online forum with strangers.

Any thoughts?

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Kambit View Post
    Let me start off with - I love rifts bard soul. I dont mind pressing 5 different motifs every 30 seconds, I really dont mind it at all.

However, perhaps it might be a good suggestion to work motifs into a 3 motif at a time max, that way if you have multiple bards in the group they will both be useful. Not only would it cut down on the amount of time spent using the motifs, it would give groups who have more than 1 bard something to do.

The only real concern I would see later in game would be that raids would only want to take 1 bard, this way having 2 of them wouldnt be such a bad thing.

Just a random thought, perhaps to invoke some discussion while we wait for the next beta phase, Honestly I really dont care if they change it, and I certainly hope they do not dumb down the class by any means, I love what rift has done to bard, so much so that I am talking about them on an online forum with strangers.

Any thoughts?
    I agree with you. I posted the following in this thread - Bard-motifs-spambot-says-hi

I'd be in favor of more motifs with different functions whereby you would have to make choices which 3-4 you could reasonably 'twist' at a time during each gcd / motif duration period... I am still a big fan of EQ1 bards and the way twisting was at its origin. You had many songs that did many different things, some with a bit of overlap, that you had to choose from for given situations. The best bards were those who chose the best songs for the situation and were able to twist the max number of best songs at a time, all while moving and initiating other single-use skills as their own needs dictated. Playing a bard was not hard. Playing a bard well was difficult. Playing a bard to its max potential was a thing of beauty (and I'm not talking about mass-kiting). Personally, I like a class that everyone can play, but only a few can master.

Just for entertainment or perhaps just nostalgic purposes, a list of eq1 bard songs can be found here:

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/s...&action=search

I know, i know... if you don't like Rift bards, go back to EQ... if that is your reaction, I'm sorry to have offended you.

However, Trion has shown they know how to take the good from prior games, and make good better for many things... why not take what many believe was the benchmark implementation of bards, figure out what made them popular and fun to play, and make Rift bards even better?!

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Zildjan View Post
    I agree with you. I posted the following in this thread - Bard-motifs-spambot-says-hi

I'd be in favor of more motifs with different functions whereby you would have to make choices which 3-4 you could reasonably 'twist' at a time during each gcd / motif duration period...

!
    Exactly. It think it would add more of a difficulty factor if bards had to pick and choose which motif in which scenario.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Kambit View Post
    Exactly. It think it would add more of a difficulty factor if bards had to pick and choose which motif in which scenario.
    lol really? With the way resonance works why would you do anything but spam the 3 that proc it? Not much of a "choice"...

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Zildjan View Post

I'd be in favor of more motifs with different functions whereby you would have to make choices which 3-4 you could reasonably 'twist' at a time during each gcd / motif duration period... I am still a big fan of EQ1 bards and the way twisting was at its origin. You had many songs that did many different things, some with a bit of overlap, that you had to choose from for given situations. The best bards were those who chose the best songs for the situation and were able to twist the max number of best songs at a time, all while moving and initiating other single-use skills as their own needs dictated. Playing a bard was not hard. Playing a bard well was difficult. Playing a bard to its max potential was a thing of beauty (and I'm not talking about mass-kiting). Personally, I like a class that everyone can play, but only a few can master.

Just for entertainment or perhaps just nostalgic purposes, a list of eq1 bard songs can be found here:

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/s...&action=search

I know, i know... if you don't like Rift bards, go back to EQ... if that is your reaction, I'm sorry to have offended you.

However, Trion has shown they know how to take the good from prior games, and make good better for many things... why not take what many believe was the benchmark implementation of bards, figure out what made them popular and fun to play, and make Rift bards even better?!
    Bard's in eq were a must for any serious raid like they will be in rift. With that being said, rift takes what made bards so amazing in eq and improved them in rift. I know because i played one in eq endgame. Bards did little to no dmg in eq as they were basically running around making sure songs were up on everyone. With rift, we have the ability to do dmg and buff/debuff. This will make them much more desirable to play. But just like eq, bard in my opinion is hands down the toughest class to play, maintaining buffs/debuffs timing your virtuoso etc is very very micro manage like but can be very rewarding for your raid/party.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine13x7 View Post
    lol really? With the way resonance works why would you do anything but spam the 3 that proc it? Not much of a "choice"...
    Well you would have another 3 motifs up that would give another type of bonus, increased regeneration, dodge chance.. something. Because right now i don't see more than 1 bard in a raid. Maybe 2 if you want 2 different Anthems up. Maybe if there are split Mobs you might have 2 since the affects have a limited range. But i guess that is why we will have a couple different builds.

+ Reply to Thread