+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Assassin: Virulent Poison. Lower the dmg, add a heal debuff, raise level to obtain.

Vio
    Soulwalker

Default Assassin: Virulent Poison. Lower the dmg, add a heal debuff, raise level to obtain.

Title pretty much says it all. As it stands Virulent Poison does *slightly* more dmg than the other poisons but has no affect tied to it. Considering the small gain in bonus dmg it gives chances are it will never be used by most who choose to go all the way up the Assassin tree. The bonus abilities of the other poisons are far greater than the slightly larger total dmg given by Virulent Poison by a long shot. I can honestly say that if i chose to go Assassin at live i wouldn't even bother putting this poison on my hotbar, ever. It's just that useless when compared to the other poisons in it's current form.

The design behind the Assassin implies that it's meant to disrupt and wreak havok behind enemy back lines (stuns/stealth) while in melee range. That being said it has no way of killing a target once there. Healing in this game is off the charts. And for a class that relies on high dps with almost zero chance of making it back to the front alive i have yet to see how this is possible without a heal debuff. Yet the Assassins cousin (Nightblade) not only gets a healing debuff but also has powerful ranged attacks. Choosing the Nightblade as the main soul gives players the option to run into the fight to try and apply a heal debuff or if it's just to much aoe dmg etc they can still attack from afar. The Assassin doesn't have this option.

An Assassin must be toe to toe, often out of healer range, all the time (assuming a player chooses to go all in on the tree). This leaves them not only surrounded, but also having to contend with being within their targets heal range of it's healers. That being said I think that Virulent Poison really needs to have a heal debuff attached to it. If balance is a concern simply move the skill up to level 32 much like the Nightblades is now. That way it's not something that everyone will have (aka players pick up assassin for a free insta heal debuff) and helps give the class some true reason for being in the back lines with the enemy.
    Last edited by Vio; 02-07-2011 at 03:04 PM.

Telaran

Virulent poison is nice atm for people with other souls that are not mainly assassin and otherwise would not have weapon enchantments. Thats what I believe is the reason why it is so low in the tree and does nothing unique (only dmg). It would be better if they add in a new poison or change one of the higher tiers for a healing debuff (theres already one in infiltrator tree).

An easier accessible heal debuff does seem like a must have for a rogue using any soul combo. So far I've also noticed we have two limited stuns in the assassin soul tree: one is usable from stealth only, and the other has a 30sec. cool down. I'm thinking we need a stun we can use more often or a healing debuff.

If one cleric is healing the target I'm attacking, it's already going to be difficult to BURST them down, if two or more clerics are healing I might as well just stop completely ..... Imagine when you have 2-3 clerics is warfront battles using group heal abilities.. uhh, I'll be nothing more than a mana sponge with no chance in bursting any healer down.
    Last edited by Ekryth; 02-07-2011 at 03:26 PM.

Soulwalker

you lie! we don't have BURST!

Vio
    Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Boduar View Post
    Virulent poison is nice atm for people with other souls that are not mainly assassin and otherwise would not have weapon enchantments. Thats what I believe is the reason why it is so low in the tree and does nothing unique (only dmg). It would be better if they add in a new poison or change one of the higher tiers for a healing debuff (theres already one in infiltrator tree).
    That could work too. Just as it stands the Assassin is really lacking in this area. As for the Infiltrator one it doesn't work like a regular healing debuff that you find on other classes. It's a castable (30 second cooldown) with diminishing returns per heal landed on target for 5 heals. So 50% for first heal, then 40, 30 and so forth. Not to mention hots could affect the cooldown as well making it nearly useless.

I'm strongly against giving Assassin's a heal debuff. I love all Rogues equally, but Fell Blades is one of Nightblade's hallmark abilities. Giving assassins a similar poison will diminish some of Nightblade's uniqueness.
    Last edited by Tenison_Grey; 02-07-2011 at 05:28 PM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Tenison_Grey View Post
    I'm strongly against giving Assassin's a heal debuff. I love all Rogues equally, but Fell Blades is one of Nightblade's hallmark abilities. Giving assassins a similar poison will diminish some of Nightblade's uniqueness.
    Giving an assassin a heal debuff is taking the soul in a good direction. The OP explained it quite well.

Being on the subject of the NB. For a ranged soul, you have a silence, 6 sec.immunity and a free out of jail card, called Twillight Transcendence. These kind of skills i expect to be more suitable for a melee soul (especially one that is almost always out of healing range) then ranged souls.
    Last edited by Shoomy; 02-07-2011 at 05:50 PM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Tenison_Grey View Post
    Nightblade's uniqueness comes from the fact thier damage is mostly fire/death spell damage, and most attacks, even the ones from stealth, are ranged attacks. A single debuff ability does not define the class.

Quote Originally Posted by Xerxesian View Post
    Nightblade's uniqueness comes from the fact thier damage is mostly fire/death spell damage, and most attacks, even the ones from stealth, are ranged attacks. A single debuff ability does not define the class.
    Say that to arms warriors using mortal strikes in wow. Yeah i quoted wow, first thing that came to mind, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Skaleek View Post
    Say that to arms warriors using mortal strikes in wow. Yeah i quoted wow, first thing that came to mind, sorry.
    Well if you put 15 points into Infiltrator then you have your healing debuff. Assassin is a bit broken imo. I love the gameplay, but when my Marksman finisher does 2x more dmg then my Assassin finisher, then that is a problem.

Love the Assassin gameplay. I want to play an Assassin, but it's being out performed by most other rogue souls.

I'm hoping this evens out at end game, but not seeing how it's going to.

Quote Originally Posted by narwhal View Post
    Well if you put 15 points into Infiltrator then you have your healing debuff.
    Problem with Anathema is that it only debuffs a healer's output. Where as skills like Fell Blades, and Linger Wounds debuff heals received and are easier to apply and maintain. Yea, healers always tend to be priority targets, but Anathema is simply less flexible than other healing debuffs.

+ Reply to Thread