+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 36

Thread: Rogues and Daggers?

  1. #1
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    137

    Default Rogues and Daggers?

    I have bin playing a Rogue during beta 6.
    I have always bin a fan of "sneaky"classes with light weapons(daggers) and swift hit and run tactics.
    In most mmos "rogue classes" require daggers to perform sertain "assassination attacks", those attacks usually are attacks that also require you to be behind the target. It is here that Rift confuses me.
    We have attacks like Assassinate and Backstab wich require you to be behind your target BUT there are no weapon requirements.
    The attacks is based on weapon dmg + x amount of + dmg and a x% of attackpower.
    Generally swords and axes have higher weapon damage than daggers have = more damage with assassinate and backstab.
    So what purpose does daggers serve in Rift?
    The only one i can think of is procing poisons but then again you sacrifice damage from your special abilities.
    This makes me a bit sad, it feels like the Assassin soul lost its...soul.
    Real assassins use daggers!

    Any experienced rogues that have any inputs and thoughts about this? have i missed something?

  2. #2
    Rift Master xcipher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    528

    Default

    I believe this is because Rift is going back to what a real rogue is, a thief/killer person or just a person who didn't want to be known. These people used all types of weapons. But yes, there is no need to just use daggers.
    Last edited by xcipher; 02-07-2011 at 02:39 PM.

  3. #3
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    137

    Default

    Maybe.
    I find it strange thou that daggers have no purpose in this game. its just "dead loot"

  4. #4
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Like xcipher said, real rogues used all sorts of weapons. To me, at least, this is a welcome change for realism sake.

    Also, going by olden time assassins, they would use katars instead of daggers.

  5. #5
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zkrilla View Post
    Maybe.
    I find it strange thou that daggers have no purpose in this game. its just "dead loot"
    Daggers tend to have a higher attack rate. I'm sure there will be good end game daggers that offer benefits that other weapon types don't, making them just as viable depending on the build.

  6. #6
    Telaran serenics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    6ft Under
    Posts
    85

    Default

    during this beta on my sin, i tried swords, axes and daggers and i can say i didn't have any noticeable increase of damage for using a slower weapon but after playing with all weapons i went back to daggers just cause the slower hitting weapons felt odd.

    I would of thought though if your wanting burst damage faster weapons would be best but if your just wanting bigger number slower weapons do this
    Neurosis - Assassin - Giving Guardians Free Favor Since Beta

  7. #7
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Well, an assasin is stealthy.
    DAGGERS are stealthy as you can hide them up ur sleeve, behind ur back, ur shoes...etc
    how is an AXE stealthy? assasin? huh?

  8. #8
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    UK, near London
    Posts
    341

    Default

    Weapon damage for skills has been normalised. Assuming the weapons have the same DPS rating, a dagger will do no more or less damage than a greatsword when you hit your Assassinate button. Go ahead and use whatever looks cool

  9. #9
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheHive View Post
    Well, an assasin is stealthy.
    DAGGERS are stealthy as you can hide them up ur sleeve, behind ur back, ur shoes...etc
    how is an AXE stealthy? assasin? huh?
    You don't hide your weapons in the game.

    Assuming you're going by true to life standards though, while assassins do rely on stealth, they're much more about anonymity. So in many cases, leaving the weapon hidden isn't an issue as long as they can take out their target without being identified.

  10. #10
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deathykins View Post
    You don't hide your weapons in the game.

    Assuming you're going by true to life standards though, while assassins do rely on stealth, they're much more about anonymity. So in many cases, leaving the weapon hidden isn't an issue as long as they can take out their target without being identified.
    meaning walking around with a huge AXE in ur hand will make you anonymous? rather than my stealthy daggers?
    anyways just releasing some steam here

  11. #11
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheHive View Post
    meaning walking around with a huge AXE in ur hand will make you anonymous? rather than my stealthy daggers?
    anyways just releasing some steam here
    I'm not really saying you're wrong or anything, just trying to give the weapon choices some logical justification :P

    But by remaining anonymous, I don't exactly mean remain unseen. Because some times, remaining unseen just isn't an option. So in that case, the weapon is rather unimportant, so just a hood or something to cover your face would keep you from being identified while making the kill public.

  12. #12
    Shield of Telara Vinge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    711

    Default

    Anyone know if faster weapons such as daggers does actually means more poison procs for, say, assassins using poisons? (or Nightblade weapon enchants.)

  13. #13
    Telaran serenics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    6ft Under
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vinge View Post
    Anyone know if faster weapons such as daggers does actually means more poison procs for, say, assassins using poisons? (or Nightblade weapon enchants.)
    well i don't have any evidence to back me up but the logic behind my thinking is that poisons have a % to apply there self on a hit so the faster hitting weapons should apply the poison more.
    Neurosis - Assassin - Giving Guardians Free Favor Since Beta

  14. #14
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vinge View Post
    Anyone know if faster weapons such as daggers does actually means more poison procs for, say, assassins using poisons? (or Nightblade weapon enchants.)
    I haven't actually tested the speed differences, but I would assume that a faster attack speed would mean it would happen more often. Not really because of the weapon itself, but because it is weaker and gets more hits in, so say your poison was going to proc in 5 more hits, the dagger would reach that number faster. Not that theres a set number of hits that has to happen before it procs, just did that for the sake of explaining it easier.

  15. #15
    Shield of Telara Vinge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    711

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by serenics View Post
    well i don't have any evidence to back me up but the logic behind my thinking is that poisons have a % to apply there self on a hit so the faster hitting weapons should apply the poison more.
    Yeah that's my reading of it as well based on just looking at the descriptions.

    I need to try this with leeching poison once I get a rogue high enough, I only managed to get my rogue to lvl 19 so far. It could at least make daggers a good choice for soloing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts