+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sabs: Other skills need a rework

Telaran

Default Sabs: Other skills need a rework

Been playing Sab through the last 2 betas, lvl 30 now. I've noticed that I never use my traps or my bombs. Sometimes I might throw annihilation bomb if I pull a big enough mob. But usually I just detonate and use shrapnel to take out groups.

Other than just nerfing charges to make traps and bombs more useful. I propose giving them a rework.

Bomb Ideas: Change them so each applies thier own strong effect, maybe bombs have a shared cool down to prevent stacking
    Adhesive bomb-already good as is, I want to make other bombs like this
    Fragmentation bomb-I would suggest just removing this as its place is already filled by shrapnel charge
    Chemical bomb-change this to an area blind effect-not full blind but make it a chance to miss
    In place of fragmentation bomb add a bomb that reduces armor (acid bomb?) or increases hit/crit chance on victims (chemical marking?)

Traps I feel should be only defensive in nature and that the damaging ones should be reworked to reflect that. Maybe have one that has a knockback effect when triggered, and the other could apply a fear effect.

I feel these changes would bring more variety to Sab play and make for distinctions between the types of attacks and your use in group play.

Rift Disciple

I've only played a Sab to 16 so I don't know how things progress with their traps but so far I'd have to agree. Traps are pretty meaningless even in PvE for me. It seems like there are too many Bombs that don't really do enough different or useful things. For instance, why would you ever use Time Bomb? Maybe I'm wrong and there's a reason you'd wait 8 seconds for an AoE rather than just doing it with charges? If I'm not wrong though, I'd like to see some utility/support like you suggested.

If Traps are kept in then maybe a Trap that does a small HoT would be nice. Or one of the bombs could be changed into an AoE Hot. I like your idea of a blind as well.

Shadowlander

I actually quite like Chemical Bomb, tbh. I use it a lot in instances when groups of mobs are being aggroed. I do have to agree that some of the other ones aren't really worthwhile, though.

But if you think Fragmentation Bomb is made irrelevant by Shrapnel Charge, then your suggestion for an armor reducing bomb is also irrelevant, since there is also a charge ability that reduces armor by a % per charge, and one that makes the mob take more damage by a % per charge. That said, I don't use Fragmentation Bomb much myself, since Shrapnel Charge is just as good (and can do more damage with more charges).

Telaran

Well I can see time bomb's use in PVP you can time it for an even bigger amount of spike damage.

My problem right now is there just doesn't seem to ever be a time when I would want to use traps or bombs over laying charges.

edit: The armor reduction bomb would be useful since you could apply before your charges go off. right now I don't when the armor debuff actually takes effect with regards to detonate. That being said I wouldn't mind if they removed a charge or 2 and replaced them with something different maybe a flamethrower that damages in a cone. Or maybe claymore mines that are directional (maybe limit 3 out at a time) and are triggered on a seperate detonate command? Then you could set up "kill zones" in PvP and PvE. I used to like running a trapper in guild wars and this would give about the same effect.
    Last edited by Occam; 02-07-2011 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam View Post
    Been playing Sab through the last 2 betas, lvl 30 now. I've noticed that I never use my traps or my bombs. Sometimes I might throw annihilation bomb if I pull a big enough mob. But usually I just detonate and use shrapnel to take out groups.

Other than just nerfing charges to make traps and bombs more useful. I propose giving them a rework.

Bomb Ideas: Change them so each applies thier own strong effect, maybe bombs have a shared cool down to prevent stacking
    Adhesive bomb-already good as is, I want to make other bombs like this
    Fragmentation bomb-I would suggest just removing this as its place is already filled by shrapnel charge
    Chemical bomb-change this to an area blind effect-not full blind but make it a chance to miss
    In place of fragmentation bomb add a bomb that reduces armor (acid bomb?) or increases hit/crit chance on victims (chemical marking?)

Traps I feel should be only defensive in nature and that the damaging ones should be reworked to reflect that. Maybe have one that has a knockback effect when triggered, and the other could apply a fear effect.

I feel these changes would bring more variety to Sab play and make for distinctions between the types of attacks and your use in group play.
    My Sab is level 33, and I use bombs and traps all the time, especially in groups with a good tank. I guess it's just a playstyle thing, but I love the bombs and traps the way they are.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by -Shiva- View Post
    My Sab is level 33, and I use bombs and traps all the time, especially in groups with a good tank. I guess it's just a playstyle thing, but I love the bombs and traps the way they are.
    What do you use the traps and bombs for exactly? I haven't been able to find a moment to justify using one over a charge except if I'm running from a mob I'll throw an adhesive bomb down.

I am fine if they want to change charges so that they are more debuff orientated and traps/bombs are dps. Right now it seems like they both do the same thing.
    Last edited by Occam; 02-07-2011 at 10:44 AM.

The damage on all of the damaging bombs is pretty pathetic, to be honest. The only time I found them useful was for attacking rifts waaaay lower level than I was.
    The only bomb I found myself using was the level 1 adhesive bomb, when I had to make a quick getaway.

Played saboteur over the last beta. I used traps and bombs in almost every fight, traps more so when in a rift group, last stage the boss spawns in a predictable area and a trap can be placed where he spawns for a nice bleed affect.
    I have not tried an instance with the saboteur yet, but I think I would probably, based on play style, use traps and bombs there as well.

+ Reply to Thread