+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is MM OP or are other DPS roles UP?

Rift Disciple

Default Is MM OP or are other DPS roles UP?

I've been playing a warrior (Paragon main as DPS, Paladin main as tanking), rogue (started out as Assassin/Bladedancer/Sab, never looked back after doing MM/Ranger/Assassin), and mage (Chloro healer) throughout the last 2 betas. I'm 35 on the rogue, 30 on the warrior and 25 on the mage.

Doing instances and just playing around with soul combos myself I am now 100% sold on the fact that no other DPS class can touch MM in PvE. My planned spec at 50 is as follows: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...dR.0VMcx0b.VMs

Right now I am a variation of that on my 35 rogue and the single target and AOE damage both are far beyond anything any other class is able to do.

To explain the build, from Assassin I am taking increased crit, serrated blades, physical damage, bleed damage and increased crit damage. You also have Expose Weakness for more bleed/phys damage increases. As you can tell this is a very crit heavy build which is, IMO, the only way for a ranged DPSer to go given the available synergies. Additionally, Lethal Poison and Virulent Poison both proc off of ranged attacks. This means you are regularly doing additional water damage AND your target is always debuffed with 5% additional crit chance to you and your raid.

From Ranger I gain additional crit, physical damage and 3 very important abilities to this build: Quickshot (and its bleed), Serrated Blades (2 combo points + powerful bleed), and Predatory Instincts for an Attack Power self buff. With 3 points into Improved Quick Shot it becomes far superior to Swift Shot, especially given the increased bleed damage from this build. Dire Wolf is thrown in for a little extra damage but is negligible in a group DPSer scenario.

For the bread and butter: Marksman! This one is pretty straight forward. Increased hit, decreased chances of enemy dodging/parrying, a couple of procs, increased AP on crits that will be permanently active, armor penetration, some very good cool downs with their cool down reduced by Rapid Extrication, Marksman's Pedestal, some powerful AoE abilities, Strafe and the big 3: Rapid Fire Shot, Deadeye Shot and Empowered Shot.

The main goal of the role is to build combo points as quickly as possible and spam the hell out of huge Deadeye Shot crits. At lvl 35 my Deadeye Shot has almost a 50% chance to crit. At 50 this will be even higher, as we all know! The bleeds and procs mostly take care of themselves though you'll want to make sure you are keeping Expose Weakness up. Serrated Shot and Empowered shot are to be used on cooldown with Quick Shot filling out any time in between.

In testing, for what I'm able to do of this build at 35, the damage is absurd. After doing KB I really don't think the damage potential of this soul is too high. Instead, it seems like other DPS classes are severely underpowered. Perhaps its just that most of the people I've played with aren't your min/maxer types like I am and haven't spent as much time trying to maximize their damage potential.

I'd like some feedback from all of you out there with raiding experience that spent a lot of time playing World of Excelcraft like me. I'd also like comments on the build!
    Last edited by OneOverX; 02-06-2011 at 12:54 PM.

Soulwalker

I think you might be getting too diluted there........I just went straight MM/Sin with the same ideas as you in mind, but your gear will provide the accuracy you need so no need to waste points there (just yet, but u can keep open for end game PVP scenarios)

Personally IF someone played this well: http://rifts.ru/tallents/index.html#...19,5_&lang=eng

I would be thoroughly annoyed.

Soulwalker

Can you by any chance post your lvl 35 Variation? Looks really interesting, been looking for a decent build for ranged.

Quote Originally Posted by Truthe View Post
    I think you might be getting too diluted there........I just went straight MM/Sin with the same ideas as you in mind, but your gear will provide the accuracy you need so no need to waste points there (just yet, but u can keep open for end game PVP scenarios)

Personally IF someone played this well: http://rifts.ru/tallents/index.html#...19,5_&lang=eng

I would be thoroughly annoyed.
    So, your build is basically, half melee, half ranged...or, i guess, your openers are melee, and then the rest is ranged. So you want someone to go in backstab then stun the target, then run out i guess and then open up with marks abilities?....thats the dumbest thing ive heard. Your Marks abilities are going to do more damage then your little backstab does, but sure, you can stun the target and run out and open up on them then, but the whole time hes stuned your going to be getting to marksman range, and then starting your marksman openers. Im sorry, but this is got to be the stupidest build ive seen in a while. you should follow more like the OP, if your a marksman, the only reason you should go into a melee tree is for buffs or poisons, thats it, you dont need ANY melee attacks as a marksman, they will just take away from time that you can be doing real damage abilities from your bow, and they will put you in melee range (harms reach for a marksman). its not even like you would need a stun for when they get close to you...marksman have repelling shot, a snare ability a crippling shot, if your a marksman and cant keep someone away from you, either your pvping and the other player is really good, or you just plain suck.
    Amateurs practice till they get it right, professionals practice till they cant get it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by OneOverX View Post
    Doing instances and just playing around with soul combos myself I am now 100% sold on the fact that no other DPS class can touch MM in PvE. My planned spec at 50 is as follows: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...dR.0VMcx0b.VMs

I'd like some feedback from all of you out there with raiding experience that spent a lot of time playing World of Excelcraft like me. I'd also like comments on the build!
    The only thing i would suggest, and i honestly cant believe you overlooked it, is to take one point out of the ranger tree and put it in the assassin tree. Just more damage this way because you will then get poison malice, increasing your poison damage by 100%. I would suggest that you take the point out of crippling shot (its nice, but not really that necessary) and put it into blinding powder (would be a nice move to have if someone gets close to you, since you dont have crippling shot anymore, and nothing else in the assassin tree would help you at all) not to mention, having blinding powder over crippling shot will give you a lot more versatility in a group or raid, cause crippling shot will only ever help anyone if the targets are moving, where as with blinding powder, you can stop that guy beating on your healer for 10 seconds, or stun one of the people on your tank to give him a slight break on damage intake. Well, you get the idea, definitely worth moving that point over imo.
    Amateurs practice till they get it right, professionals practice till they cant get it wrong.

Telaran

This is exactly the type of build I was going to go for, was trying to keep it a secret because it worked for me.

Soulwalker

My souls are the same, but my build differs in the sense that it focus purely on range, having ranger at 20 for the maxed out doubleshot, and sin only at 8, rest in MM. I'm not sure about MM being overpowered, but if one kites well, likes to run around in circles all the time, and stuff like and finds it fun and worthwhile, albeit, but sometimes its hard in mob intensive zones ;)

Anyway I have a question, does the increase in crit hit chance actually stack? Can one veryify this? To make it clear, in role 1, my phy crit chance is only 2% but when I switch to role 2, it goes up to 6%, but this change does not show on the stat page for physical crit %.

Lemme explain a little more? At level 20, with dex of 100, and 2 Roles, (I went MM/Rgr/NB before switching to MM/Rgr/Sin, and thank god for the soul quests ) I alternated between the two to check out the crit % increase on the stat page, and noticed that it remains the same regardless of the roll.

So, I'd like to know, are the passive abilities of the souls reflected on the stat page or not? Anyone know?

Thanks

Soulwalker

damn I went AS/MM/BD

but yea i've been pretty happy with my trusty bow, seems to rank me top 5 in damage whenever I go warfronts, guess i should reassign my AS and BD points into MM..

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M....0VMct0b.V0tMM

My build is close-ish same ideas, max out crazy damage, but with a few more survivability items thrown in.

marksman is the main, I do most of my damage through this.
    Assassin for massive damage increases.
    Nightblade for 15% bonus damage on both combo point generators and finishers, a 50% snare, and a 100% chance to cause enemy to take 5% more damage for 15 seconds when hellfire blades procs (which it does often). So basically nightblade gives me a full 20% more damage on combo point abilities and finishers. I figure losing a pretty useless pet, and 5% crit 4% damage was very acceptable.

Ohh you also get a 20 meter range sap as well from nightblade.

Meudi only one thing I think u have is off. For PvP and soloing it can be silly, for raiding and instance though it could work damn well. In EQ2 the ranger lives for the sweet spot, that narrow place where ranged and melee abilities can both hit. That place exists in rift as well. Once u get used to finding that spot it becomes second nature, then u can use the best of the melee and ranged for good effect.

Personally I am avoiding that this time around, it takes more work than just settling on being a pure melee or ranged dpser, but if someone wants to put that work into their play I say give it a try, it could turn out to be pretty good.

Telaran

I couldn't agree more about Marks/Ranger/Assassin. At 35 i used the following build:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...x0t0V0qub.0VMc

Rotation:

Marksman's Pedestal
    Expose Armor
    Splinter Shot
    Empowered Shot
    Quick Shot
    Bull's Eye
    Deadeye Shot

That will bring most anything down under 2500 health and i'm still using a lvl 25 gun. Even when Bull's Eye is on cooldown, most same level mobs will go down in 1 rotation.

I've gotten a warrior to 20 and a rogue to 21. Rogue has been much more enjoyable/interesting by far.

While I haven't worked out the DPS synergies anywhere near as effectively as you have, it's quite clear focusing in MM pays off. Was hoping the warrior build would be less squishy and offer decent DPS but in similar PvE combat, his armor just doesn't offset enough damage to make his lower DPS worth it.

What may need tweaking are MM energy costs - unless I use the Rapid Fire Shot finisher, I rarely run out of energy.

Also, my action bars are getting pretty loaded with conditional abilities/combos. Sure, the bread and butter stuff is easy enough to manage, but there are almost too many interesting abilities. Must admit I prefer that, though, to having a few "I win" buttons.

Update: I also just unlocked (bought) the Infiltrator PvP soul. Going to try dropping Ranger and using it instead.
    Last edited by sobelius; 02-07-2011 at 02:44 AM.

Soulwalker

I play MM/SIN/RAN from begginning. It's so great, that a mage who played with me in team after we finished questing said "ok bb nice teaming with ya. Your dmg is so sick. I go reroll on rogue now. Take care"

At lvl 35 I can crit for 1350dmg with deadeye shoot. But there is one problem. At lvl 35 "pig" got some problems with holding aggro. It's because it is lvl 30 only. For soloing you need some survivability. So you need to spend 24points in ranger for greater razorbeast. Or you need ot spend some more points in assassin and marksman for stuns and speed buffs for kitting. For party pve, you can go straight dmg, and there is no better dps they can find
    Last edited by Borek; 02-07-2011 at 06:04 AM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Valgoth View Post
    My souls are the same, but my build differs in the sense that it focus purely on range, having ranger at 20 for the maxed out doubleshot, and sin only at 8, rest in MM. I'm not sure about MM being overpowered, but if one kites well, likes to run around in circles all the time, and stuff like and finds it fun and worthwhile, albeit, but sometimes its hard in mob intensive zones ;)

Anyway I have a question, does the increase in crit hit chance actually stack? Can one veryify this? To make it clear, in role 1, my phy crit chance is only 2% but when I switch to role 2, it goes up to 6%, but this change does not show on the stat page for physical crit %.

Lemme explain a little more? At level 20, with dex of 100, and 2 Roles, (I went MM/Rgr/NB before switching to MM/Rgr/Sin, and thank god for the soul quests ) I alternated between the two to check out the crit % increase on the stat page, and noticed that it remains the same regardless of the roll.

So, I'd like to know, are the passive abilities of the souls reflected on the stat page or not? Anyone know?

Thanks

Yes, all of the crit stacks. At level 35 on my Rogue I had 30% chance to crit, 35% once lethal poison kicked in.

This is not intended to be mobile build. It is a pure PvE Dungeon/Raid build. It's only job is to stand still in group and do massive amounts of damage.
    Galt - 50 Rogue

Quote Originally Posted by Borek View Post
    I play MM/SIN/RAN from begginning. It's so great, that a mage who played with me in team after we finished questing said "ok bb nice teaming with ya. Your dmg is so sick. I go reroll on rogue now. Take care"

At lvl 35 I can crit for 1350dmg with deadeye shoot. But there is one problem. At lvl 35 "pig" got some problems with holding aggro. It's because it is lvl 30 only. For soloing you need some survivability. So you need to spend 24points in ranger for greater razorbeast. Or you need ot spend some more points in assassin and marksman for stuns and speed buffs for kitting. For party pve, you can go straight dmg, and there is no better dps they can find
    i couldnt imagine giving away my strafe for anything. Around 395-470 damage a hit that channels for 5 ticks. This is the order i used in open world pvp putting the drop on someone or on the tougher mobs in pve. Bullseye, strafe(2k damage over 5 seconds), hit and run, dead eye shot(550-1300 depending on if it crits), close quarters combat, empowered shot(300-600), empowered shot(300-600), swift shot(180-400), dead eye shot(550-1300) will bring down any mob i had to come across, and most players if they dont see it coming, usually way before i got to the last dead eye shot.

Edit: the problem i had with this is if i come across a really good healer, or someone was able to survive after this onslaught, the only thing i had left to do was get out of dodge. but i did have an escape plan. Repelling shot, static shot, on the double, RUN AWAY! :P
    Last edited by rich1051414; 02-07-2011 at 12:07 PM. Reason: spelling errors, more information

Updated; February 13, 2011; Nova Bench 3; Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate; AMD Phenom II X4 945 @ 3975 MHz; Graphics Card:Sapphire Vapor-X HD 5770 OC@960/1400
    Verified NovaBench Score: 1093
    Validated by CPU-Z

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast