+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Assassin (Disappointed Feedback)

Default Assassin (Disappointed Feedback)

Glass Cannon? I think not, more like a Glass Squirt Gun...

Why even try to be a "Glass Cannon" when you can be a "Steal Cannon" *Cough Warrior*

Greetings, I have recently reached level 29 with my Rogue and I have truly become disappointed in him. Currently he is 23 Assassin / 15 Riftstalker. Below are a list of abilities in which I truly think need an overhall and i'm comparing my damage to that of a comparable Warrior near my level. Screen shots are provided. I'm trying to figure out where the "Assassin" part comes from? Some remarks have been made stating that Assassin is a DOT based PVE build. I ask why?? Doesn't the concept of having abilities named "Assassinate, Backstab, and Final Blow" imply that we are in fact a bursty PVP based role? My damage output certainly isn't deadly... I really don't get why Warriors in plate, and ranged DPSers are able to crit well over 1k damage at this level, and I sacrifice survivability, lethality, effectiveness for what exactly? Stealth... A 200 damage opening backstab, and a 500 damage crit finishing move? Seems kinda weak sause...

My gear is actually quite awesome at my level. I have 2 level 25+ epics, and 6 level 25+ blues, and a ton of crit chance based gear. I even have 4 lesser and 1 greater "blue" essences all providing crit chance, and or proc to deal extra damage. Inspect me, look me up, whatever... My daggers are both over 10dps a second and of "Blue" quality... Theres no excuse for my abilities to be soo weak.

I really don't understand why "stealth" is worth sacrificing "armor, health, and damage". People state that with all of our "STUN LOCKING POTENTIAL" we should be OP and be able to win, the problem is after our stun abilities, WE HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO ENERGY LEFT to do any damage to our opponent.

I challenge anyone who disagrees with me to provide either Video or Screenshots to prove your point. The content provided must be taken from Beta Phase 6, otherwise without evidence backing your accusations you have no ground to talk. I have provided screen shots and actual evidence.

Assassinate (Rank 6)
    50 Energy
    Instant
    Requires Melee Weapon
    A devastating attack that deals weapon plus 233 to 238 Physical damage. Must be behind the enemy. An additional 100% damage bonus from Attack Power is applied to this attack. Awards 2 Combo Points.

This ability is a complete fail at the moment. It claims that it does 100% bonus damage from attack power, but seen below the bonus damage is non existent, and when it crits, it barely does anything. Why would anyone bother using this ability over Paralyzing Strike which stuns your enemy for 4 seconds?! Does a critical strike in the back for 360-400 damage really seem that impressive to you? Not me, the chances for it to even crit are slim. There are no talents that increase the likely hood to score a critical hit with this ability either. It's not a spammable ability, it requires stealth, and positioning. Regular hits average the 233-238 damage range receiving little to no bonus from attack power. This needs to be addressed.

Regular Hit: 236 Damage
    http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g248/akuko/236-1.jpg

Final Blow (Rank 6)
    Melee range
    40 Energy
    Instant
    Requires Melee Weapon
    A Finisher that deals weapon plus Physical damage. Energy Cost is reduced with more Combo Points. Damage bonus from Attack Power is increased with more Combo Points.
    1 Point: 77 damage
    2 Points: 128 damage
    3 Points: 179 damage
    4 Points: 204 damage
    5 Points: 256 damage

Now I thought this ability was on par with everyone else. It works great against regular mobs, but after engaging in PVP and getting my face handed to me I started questioning the damage output. I've tried the whole opener/burst/finisher combo... "Paralyzing Strike > Backstab > Backstab > Final Blow" This only lead to about 20-30% of my opponents life, where a WARRIOR is able to critically strike me for well over 1k health over and over again. You think thats bad, a CLERIC can instant heal all of my "burst damage" immediately after my little stun wears off. This is not acceptable. Final Blow is supposed to be deadly, it's supposed to be our *Finisher*, after accumulating 5 combo points, critting for 513 doesn't compare to the Warriors doing over 1k crits with their finishers... Heck i gave Nightblade a try and their finishers crit for 800-900 damage... I really don't get it. =/

Final Blow Crit Damage: 513

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g248/akuko/513.jpg

Warrior Crit Damage: 1138
    http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g248/akuko/1138.jpg

Warrior Crit Damage: 1357
    http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g248/akuko/1357.jpg

Paralyzing Strike
    Melee range
    50 Energy
    Instant
    Requires Melee Weapon
    A Poison attack that deals weapon plus 36 to 39 Water damage and stuns the enemy for 4 seconds. Awards 2 Combo Points.

Foul Play
    3 Meter Range
    20 Energy
    Instant
    Cooldown: 30 Seconds
    Executes an unfair maneuver that stuns the enemy for 4 seconds.

I don't know how much *ENERGY* you all think we have, but after expending 70 of our 100 energy all we have done is stopped your damage for 6-8 seconds. The remaining 30-40 Energy we have will give us one, maybe two attacks. So yeah, if you honestly think our stunlocking ability is our tool to kill people, you are completely clueless.

Flame me all you want, I don't care, say what ever you will, but this is actual in game proof, this is happening every where...

At this point, Stealth's only true use is to avoid combat, Theres no effective way to actually utilize Stealth to gain any sort of combat edge. The Assassin's burst damage is entirely too low to be effective, and after your initial burst your out of energy and completely vulnerable to an *** whooping.

Theres very little point in playing Assassin atm, at release if things don't change I will switch to either a Warrior or Cleric. I've always liked playing a stealth based Rogue, but atm they are completely useless.

Heck if you can't beat em, might as well join em right?
    Last edited by Artemis; 02-10-2011 at 01:10 AM.
    System Specifications: Alienware Aurora Desktop
    Processor: Intel i7 920 Quad Core 2.67GHZ OC @ 3.21GHZ 8MB cache
    Graphic Card: eVGA GeForce GTX570 Superclocked
    Memory: 6GB Tripple Channel DDR3 SDRAM @ 1333Mhz
    Mouse: Razer Naga - Keyboard: Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600

aGree in here ..our dps is really low ,dont know why .In ope world pvp im ok ,and i kill allot but da damage is not so good after all.
    Last edited by Cyborg; 02-06-2011 at 09:23 AM.

Soulwalker

Personally, I am able to assassinate most people, provided it's 1v1 as a 23 Assassin. Once you get enough points in Assassination to get Foul Play, you can stun lock people with Paralyzing Strike and Foul Play. The timing needs to be precise, and you have to make sure to use Malicious Strike to have them slowed in case they get out, because the real weakness of Assassin seems to be anything ranged.
    The above goes for anything except Warriors and properly specced Rangers. The Rangers get 50% less stun duration, which is no less than absolutely devastating, and the Warriors just seem to shrug off any incoming damage and just tear your nuts off when the stuns wear off.
    Furthermore, it's strictly only for 1v1. Any heals will **** everything up, simply because you can't hope to kill them before the two stuns you have, which have either a long CD, or requires setup.
    Any damage specced opponents you might encounter while attempting to "assassinate" a target will also mess everything up, as the lack of survivability we have just allows them to kill us in a few seconds.
    I love the concept of the class at the moment, I love that you have to set up your target and that it actually takes a bit of skill to get timing and **** right, but it seems too unforgiving at the moment. One mistake, and you're pretty much dead. Also, we need something that allows us to actually escape or something, a sprint of sorts or something would be nice, as it would also give us a chance against ranged classes. If caught in the open by a ranged class at the moment, you might as well just stab yourself in the face, because catching them is never going to happen.

^^ Pretty much. I've been able to use assassin successfully. It seems like it's a sustained dps spec rather than the explosive dps that a lot of people expect it to be. With that said it could probably use a small boost in dps. In pvp I could usually take someone with me in my average 12 second life after unstealthing, but only just barely.
    Even free cost too much now

Shadowlander

Lvl 31 Assasin here and I have had to constantly reduce possible targets as my level has been increasing. Now I only target mages,forget about any archers or healers as it is rarely possble to get them down. Yes you can stun chain them to 50% of their hitpoints but after that, GL with the rest

I agree wth the first post and feedback given,the final blow is extremly low....We cant be a constant DPS class instead of a burst basicly cos we fall so fast, there is no time to keep up a constant DPS. Or u burst ur squishy target down or u get *****.

Quote Originally Posted by p00ky View Post
    .We cant be a constant DPS class instead of a burst basicly cos we fall so fast, there is no time to keep up a constant DPS. Or u burst ur squishy target down or u get *****.
    I was referring to PvE for sustained DPS.
    Even free cost too much now

Rift Disciple

Assassin is way underpowered. In PvE or PvP any and every other class is more useful.

A constant DPS glass cannon is simply fail. You have to have survivability to do constant damage.

Assassins shouldn't necessarily be able to defeat warriors but they should at least stand a chance against everybody else. Currently, they don't.

Telaran

I also completely agree with the OP, assassins should have high burst dps with a high damage finisher. Even at 19 I have a hard time killing anything but mages, if they have a healer then its over with me. My average life after stealth is about 15 seconds, and by no means am I just running in a group trying to get someone. I plan all of my targets and wait for the opportunity. Waiting in itself is a dps loss because warriors and ranged rogues just spam abilities. Assassins need to have a well deserved makeover. I really want to play a rogue for release but I don't want to be the FOTM marksman/ranger combo.

With the recent changes to some other classes since beta 5 I thiink assassins would benefit greatly from a talent like the others received. Like every point spent in assassin soul will increase _____ by __% up to a max of __%.

Just not sure what it could be, maybe like a gcd reducer so we can use abilitiies quicker? Or flat crit or crit damage.

Whatever it is assassins need fixin, I feel like a basic rogue with poisons ( I love the poisons ).

Quote Originally Posted by zonzai View Post
    Assassin is way underpowered. In PvE or PvP any and every other class is more useful.

A constant DPS glass cannon is simply fail. You have to have survivability to do constant damage.

Assassins shouldn't necessarily be able to defeat warriors but they should at least stand a chance against everybody else. Currently, they don't.
    It has been calculated (i.e. proven by maths) that all rogue souls have the same damage-per-second by average, so can you just shut it and learn to play your class? They have enough disables, tons of them actually, you just can't play them correctly (Here's a hint, stealth can be used more than once vs. one opponent)

Freaking whiners. Shut up & put up.

Quote Originally Posted by Catskills View Post
    It has been calculated (i.e. proven by maths) that all rogue souls have the same damage-per-second by average, so can you just shut it and learn to play your class? They have enough disables, tons of them actually, you just can't play them correctly (Here's a hint, stealth can be used more than once vs. one opponent)

Freaking whiners. Shut up & put up.
    Really? Have you seen this math? Is that why in this last patch they completely redone all of the Warrior roles damage overall?? All of them?? Completely?? Yeah interesting isnt it... And I personally have tried all of the different roles for Rogue, and guess what, they do a lot more damage... I'd like to see your figures, if not ill be happy to roll a Warrior or Cleric at release... Assassin = Garbage. I at least provide screen shots of my accusations, where are yours?
    Last edited by Artemis; 02-06-2011 at 12:30 PM.

Banned

To be honest if (big if) this is the case I'm not convinced its a problem. Many MMOs have got it wrong by giving invisible rogue classes insanely high dps or the ability to completely shut down an opponent.

To do so is poor game design. Invisibility is possibly the most powerful ability in an mmo, and to see what games like WOW or WAR give the rogue in addition is blithering idiocy.

So no, if you're invisible you shouldnt have the highest dps.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Auchter View Post
    To be honest if (big if) this is the case I'm not convinced its a problem. Many MMOs have got it wrong by giving invisible rogue classes insanely high dps or the ability to completely shut down an opponent.

To do so is poor game design. Invisibility is possibly the most powerful ability in an mmo, and to see what games like WOW or WAR give the rogue in addition is blithering idiocy.

Differents is that rogue's stealth doesn't working during combat, only when coming in. After they do the attack they are sitting ducks. Its like a small kid coming up to a wrestler. You didn't see it coming but it doesn't hurt you only annoy you.

Quote Originally Posted by Auchter View Post

Fine if I cant do damage or be tanky allow my stealth to be activated while in combat. "Without popping a cooldown based ability"

I've found the damage to be a little lacking. Once I get the poison/bleed merry-go-round going the damage seems to tick quite well, but that takes a while to get set up. There just seems to be some sort of 'oomph' lacking. Maybe I just need to get a better rotation going or spec a little differently, but it feels like it leaves something to be desired, particularly against targets with any durability (cleric, warrior) or escapability (rogues), especially outside of 1v1 situations (1vX, XvX).

Also, Slip Away (top branch ability) strikes me as being almost entirely worthless. I've used it three times in the past hour. The first time, I was knocked out of stealth after it expired by an NPC who had aggro'd me during my fight with two enemy players. The second and third times I was knocked out of stealth after it expired by ticking DoTs. It's great that it gives instant stealth, a snare/root break, and the 3s of immunity, but it doesn't really help you, well... slip away.
    Last edited by Kyera; 02-06-2011 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Slip Away!

Soulwalker

You guys do realize you've got two other souls to put points into, right? I've got an Assassin/Nightblade/Riftstalker combo going, and so far (early 20's) I've been able to burst down anything without taking much damage at all. Don't go for a DPS soul if you can't combine it with enough survivability to throw out some damage, just as you shouldn't go for a bulky soul if you can't steal aggro/CC/deal some damage.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast