+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bard: combine the motifs in one cast

Soulwalker

Default Bard: combine the motifs in one cast

At first it was neat casting one or two motifs before every battle. Now that I have gotten five different ones, its such a pain to keep refreshing them. Since they are instant cast and decent buffs, your group members expect them up at all times. This takes away a lot of the immersion of the class. Be nice if we had some sort of way to combine them together and do one cast. Or just increase the duration of each one.

Quote Originally Posted by slades View Post
    At first it was neat casting one or two motifs before every battle. Now that I have gotten five different ones, its such a pain to keep refreshing them. Since they are instant cast and decent buffs, your group members expect them up at all times. This takes away a lot of the immersion of the class. Be nice if we had some sort of way to combine them together and do one cast. Or just increase the duration of each one.
    Many threads for this the fact you didn't bother to look makes me disappointed you chose Bard.
    Briarcliff I make em scream.

Quote Originally Posted by Selenity View Post
    I'm not sure if you are talking to him or me. But I do care. I even care about what would bring you to the place that you would put such pictures on your profile.

Talented, they last 30 sec each. With a rogue's 1sec GCD, you have 25 sec to do whatever else you want, that's if you put all of them up.

One of the "immersing" features of the bard is that your buffs ARE on such low timers, it forces you to get into a rhythm of sorts, refreshing motifs while doing damage/healing.

To be honest, it's what makes me FEEL like a bard.

Rift Disciple

Why did you roll a bard? If you're looking for something like shaman from WoW where you can just drop your totems all at once and not worry about them until you have to move, then please don't play a bard. What do you think a bard is anyway? Bards are supposed to be bolstering their party's defenses and morale through song. Sure, we don't have much time to do DPS with all the "barding" we have to do, but that's why groups invite us, because our buffs increase the performance of the group and that always outweighs just having another DPS to pew pew. Like previous posters mentioned, fully specced your buffs last 30 seconds and debuffs will last a full minute and affect everyone and every mob in the area. When you picked the bard soul, it said "support" for a reason.

Soulwalker

Please for the love of God, do not put a bunch of passive buffs on this class. Thats what makes it unique and how they've ruined bards in every other mmo.

This is one of the reasons I love bard. It's also one of the reasons I love my Logitech G15 Keyboard and G9x Laser Mouse.

Bard is a ton of fun, and if you can't get your head around that we are mainly a support/buffing class, and that's the playstyle you are going to have, then it might not be the main class for ya.

Soulwalker

Default Bard is great

I love how the bard plays right now. If you run all your buffs up, you have 25 seconds to get your debuffs up on the mob. Then you get in a nice rotation of buffs and debuffs. It is a nice flow and it is how a bard is suppose to be.

Twisting is why bards usually are hard to find at high levels. It is awesome though if you have the talent for twisting. I hope end game will be like EQ where a bard is saught after.

Plane Touched

Don't dumb my class down. Lazy players can move on to one of the many other class RIFT has to offer.

Soulwalker

I think there just needs to be a compromise on the button pressing. I used to play an EQ bard and I don't mind twisting songs at all, but I have carpal now and it just hurts like hell to play a bard in this game. There's also the fact that there isn't as much "immersion" as people are trying to defend - you have a small amount of motifs and for the most part you play the same ones all at once. It isn't like in EQ where you literally had dozens of songs to choose from and could change them up and needed to press the right one at the right time. This is just refreshing your motif buffs. EverQuest eventually added in a /melody command to twist your songs for you, which, while a bit much, made it possible for me to play the class again when I tried out EQ again a few months back.

I like how the class plays, but, ow.
    Last edited by Sadiki; 02-06-2011 at 05:52 PM.

Rift Disciple

Personally, I don't mind short buffs if I feel the benefit is worth the effort.

Not 100% sure I feel that way in Rift currently, but I'm not one to let my group or raid fight at any less than max effectiveness.

Still hoping for a revamp to the Motif system to make choosing which Motifs to use actually matter.

+ Reply to Thread