+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Ambrodel
  • 1 Post By Lynleex

Thread: Build Chaos: Marksman-48/Ranger-24/Assassin-4

Soulwalker

Default Build Chaos: Marksman-48/Ranger-24/Assassin-4

Howdy!

I love to play Archer type with Tank pet.. So far, I have not been able to find a build that fits the bill! I am new to the game..

I picked Assassin for Stealth, Ranger for Advanced Razorbeast, and want to dump all the other Points into Marksman for more damage.. My problem is, I don't know which skills to take and which to skip! Most of the recent builds for Solo/Leveling (Some dungeon) has nothing to do with what I like..

It seems like all the builds are based on the most amount of damage output.. I just wanna have fun, stay alive and learn the game as I level my first toon. Sure I want to be able to kill mobs in a reasonable length of time.

Could you please help me??

Thank You & Peace... Lynlee

Quote Originally Posted by Lynleex View Post
    Howdy!

I love to play Archer type with Tank pet.. So far, I have not been able to find a build that fits the bill!

It seems like all the builds are based on the most amount of damage output.. I just wanna have fun, stay alive and learn the game as I level my first toon. Sure I want to be able to kill mobs in a reasonable length of time.

Could you please help me??

Thank You & Peace... Lynlee
    Hey there, and welcome to the game.

Now, since those two things (having fun and doing damage) are not always the same thing, I'm gonna give you some "bad" advice when it comes to nuking stuff down fast. But it fits what you want to do, so even though others will say "no no no, don't do that, do THIS instead", this is based purely on what you describe and nothing else.

First off, put Ranger to max, 61 points.
    Reason: Each point gives you and your pet more damage. For a pet-focused build, you will want that. With max points, you get access to max abilities and Legendary Animalism gives more damage to your combo generators.
    Second, rest of points, except your 4 for stealth (Ruthlessness), in Marksman. SMF5/5, IFP5/5 and RCM and GD for the last two points.

Third, no, this is not at all an efficient build and you can find SO much better if you look through the guides here on the forums, but this is suited for what you just described. Your Greater Razorbeast can keep aggro on many things, but not all. Your damage output will be low enough to not constantly drag mobs away from it, but not high enough to kill stuff FAST. Not even if you swap it out for the Blood Raptor and let it rip your enemies apart. You will, however, be able to learn the game better when you can focus while NOT being hit all the time. As you play, you will find that you NEED a better way of killing stuff and then you can look through those other builds that are more pewpew and less pet-focused. This is fast ENOUGH to begin with, but again, things change as you level up. There's a reason why the really good pewpew specs doesn't include a full Ranger setup. Legendary Razorbeast is absolutely awesome, but that's near endgame, not while leveling.

Have fun and don't fret too much if some things are too difficult. Ranger has its strong sides and its weaknesses, like any other soul. Just adapt, or replace it later
    Quote Originally Posted by AnneBonny View Post
    We still want to give you a small hint: communication, support and entertainment are our three main concerns and you can count on some changes and improvements in this direction.
    We are all gamers and we understand how important transparency and open-mindedness are
    First lies told by Gamigo

Soulwalker

Good Day Ambrodel!!

::gushing:: Thank you so VERY much for getting me started!!

However, I do have a really noob question or two! Firstly, do I fill Assassin and Marksman, then do the Ranger Tree? I managed to bumble through to lvl 23.. So have have 32 Pts to spend now. I just don't know which to start with.. OR, even if it matters..

Is there a build where Ranger is a good killer? All the bow builds that I've seem are Marksman, with melee as the other two.. I really like Bow/Pet.. ( I don't PvP/PK. I find Raids and dungeons can be fun too! I just don't like where I'm in a situation where 'Points Count' I'm judged by the amount of damage I do. I just want to have fun, no stress.)

Ok, lastly, do you know of a friendly Guild, with enough members for support (for now), I can join? I put in a request for one, but never heard back.. Hope this last isn't a problem for being off topic.

Have a GREAT Day.. Take Care, Lynlee

Firstly, do I fill Assassin and Marksman, then do the Ranger Tree? I managed to bumble through to lvl 23.. So have have 32 Pts to spend now. I just don't know which to start with.. OR, even if it matters..
    It does matter. The tree with the most points in it will give you the most benefit. And in this case, the other souls do not benefit your pets. You wanted a pet spec, so Ranger needs to have the most points as that soul increases not only your own damage, but also that of your pet. Also, one of the talents high in Ranger gives a bonus to the different pets and you will want to have that bonus if you intend to use that pet in the best possible way. I'll let you find it on your own, but you will know which one I mean when you see it
    While you level up, you will sometimes get more than 1 point per level. Those bonus points are intended for your other souls. You cannot spend more points in a soul than your level, so at level 20, max of 20 points in one and the rest in the others. I would take the stealth points first, because STEALTH! And then the rest in MM as you get further in the game

Is there a build where Ranger is a good killer? All the bow builds that I've seem are Marksman, with melee as the other two
    I don't think so. In a way there is, but it depends on your own definition of good killer. As you noticed, most of the guides are focused on MAXIMUM DPS AND CARNAGE, something which is just not easily done with Ranger. Pet is a big part of that skillpackage and Marksman does it so much better without a pet. I am a rogue main myself and my mainspec is MM. I go pewpewpew a LOT and things die fast. When I change to Ranger, I just....... can't. Not THAT fast anyway. And why bother making a guide saying Ranger can reach (imaginary number) dps if you work REALLY HARD, when you can just make a guide saying Marksman can reach (3x imaginary number) with spamming a one-button macro? Most people will only be interested in the MM guide, because it has the highest numbers. If you look in the sticky Rogue Compendium, you CAN find a Ranger spec, but as it says, it's the lowest dps spec and is not recommended for group play. You MIGHT like it as a solo player, but only you can determine that.

Ok, lastly, do you know of a friendly Guild, with enough members for support (for now), I can join?
    No, sorry. I have my own guild, so I only know that one. And I don't know which region you are playing in, so even if I had knowledge of the EU guilds, it wouldn't matter if you are playing on US.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnneBonny View Post
    We still want to give you a small hint: communication, support and entertainment are our three main concerns and you can count on some changes and improvements in this direction.
    We are all gamers and we understand how important transparency and open-mindedness are
    First lies told by Gamigo

Soulwalker

HiYa Ambrodel!!

Just wanted to thank you for all your amazing help AND explanation!! You can't imagine how much I appreciate the time and effort you put into explaining with such detail!

OH! I live in USA on the East coast, Eastern Time Zone.

Peace.. Ta Ta!! Lynlee

just want to add, you don't need to completely clear/delete a spec that you have semi-working just to try another one, you can buy (in game currency) extra role slots that you can switch between at a whim in order to test slightly different specs in different scenarios.

I myself also prefer a low dps/high heals spec for soling, i choose a marksman/tact/phys combo.

you may find having a bard build to be useful for the more difficult mobs where healing is required.

enjoy experimenting and READ EVERY TOOLTIP, it will soon all sink in

+ Reply to Thread