Closed Thread

Thread: Blood raptor worth it?

Shadowlander

Default Blood raptor worth it?

Hey guys..

I am considering rolling a Ranger combined with Marksman.. I have one question though, is blood raptor worth it for a end talent? or is it not a huge boost compared to other pets and are that point better spent elsewhere?

thx in advance
    Last edited by Oceanemotion; 02-03-2011 at 01:50 PM.

Beta players haven't been able to put 31 pts into a soul yet, so we couldn't tell you from experience

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Oceanemotion View Post
    Hey guys..

I am considering rolling a Ranger combined with Marksman.. I have one question though, is blood raptor worth it for a end talent? or is it not a huge boost compared to other pets and are that point better spent elsewhere?

thx in advance
    I'm pretty sure no pet is superior all around to any other pet for all pet classes.

One is a tank--
    one is a PVP DPS pet--
    One is a PVE DPS pet.

The way I see the pet classes Necro/Elem/Ranger.. those pets are there to switch around depending on the situation not for using the same one always in all situations.

All of the pets can reach lvl cap of 50 from what I understand.. You don't upgrade from a Pig to a wolf to a raptor for the best pet at the end.

Rift Chaser

Just from looking at the talent descriptions, it seems that if you don't get a blood raptor it would be equivalent of having a hunter in WoW with a pet that can't level past level 82.

Shadowlander

ok, thx guys, didnt know you didnt even had a chance of testing it on beta yet sry about that.. But the discription of the blood raptor says: "maximum lvl of the summoned pet is 36" so the pets will never go above the lvl it says in the discription?

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Librarian View Post
    Just from looking at the talent descriptions, it seems that if you don't get a blood raptor it would be equivalent of having a hunter in WoW with a pet that can't level past level 82.
    Those are wrong though.

There are class trainers in rift.

Those class trainers upgrade skills as you level like rank 2 Fireball etc..

The pet summoning skill was upgraded every few lvls or so. You will be able to have a lvl 50 RazorPig (forgot what it was called) when you are 50. Its the only tank pet. Its the best at tanking period.

The raptor is (from its description in alpha leaked notes) appears the pet of choice for PVE 5-mans and raiding..assuming that is feasable.

The wolf has a healing debuff whichwould appear slick for PVP.

The pig generated threat the best.. so tanking and soloing pve.

Why wouldn't all of these go to 50?

The soul generators have a lot of things incorrect and they are not up to the latest changes anyhow.

Plane Touched

The wow pet's are by far better than rift's pet.
    TBH don't even worth to use a pet in pvp.

Shadowlander

ah ok.. I guess I will have to test it in the upcomming beta then.. But are rangers fun to play at all? I still havent tried it yet.. But what is your opinion about fun'ness ( if there even are such word )

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Oceanemotion View Post
    ah ok.. I guess I will have to test it in the upcomming beta then.. But are rangers fun to play at all? I still havent tried it yet.. But what is your opinion about fun'ness ( if there even are such word )
    I didn't try RANGER as a main soul.. but ranged rogues overall are very popular and very fun

Most ranged rogues I see are Marksman/Ranger/third which was the most fun set up ive played so far anyhow.

For solo pve I don't see how a ranger main spec would hurt.. it looks pretty strong for solo ..

I also think that the wolf +healing debuff might actually be great in pvp.. I want to try it out.
    There is great synergy between Marksman and ranger.

My plan is for a ranger heavy spec to solo and then Marksman/Ranger/Assn for pvp.

You get 4 roles and they are easy to switch out... which in wow terms would mean your dual spec was a quadspec.
    Last edited by Beans; 02-03-2011 at 02:12 PM.

your greater dire wolf also has an AoE attack on a 4sec cooldown, send him into the pile in pvp and let him chomp on people, usually they ignore the pets unless its the only thing around to kill

Rift Disciple

I just hit 31 last night with my ranger and wanted to add my thoughts. The blood raptor immediately seems to do more DPS than the wolf. It's not a huge amount, but if you're going ranger, they added a new skill in the soul that increases all your pets' DPS by 3% for every point spent over 21. Getting to the top of the tree increases all your pets' abilities, it doesn't just enable you to get the blood raptor. That said though, he still can't keep agro off me without Divert Rage. Only the Razorbeast can pull that off obviously.

Here's his abilities:

Razor Lash (instant, 4 second CD) - Lashes up to 4 enemies, dealing 72 to 76 Physical damage.
    Bloodied Blow (instant, 4 second CD) - Deals a bloodied blow to the enemy, causing 78 to 81 Physical damage and returning some of it to the pet as health.
    Rend (instant, 8 second CD) - Rends the enemy, causing the enemy to bleed for 57 Physical damage over 10 seconds. Can be applied up to 3 times.

This is fully trained at level 32. Also, here's the info of the new ability that replaced Shadow Stalker in the ranger soul:

King of the Jungle - Increases your pet's damage by 10% and reduces the damage your pet takes from area of effect attacks by 35%. For every point spent in the Ranger Soul above 21, your pet's damage is increased by 3% and damage taken from area of effect attacks is reduced by 2%.

Soulwalker

Yeah blood raptor can't hold aggro even with autoattack, which is a bit lame. Divert rage isn't working for me.

While blood raptor may do a wee bit more dps, its definitely not worth it.
    In most dungeons it dies often due to AoE attacks, you would be better off spending more points in the marksman tree to get Strafe which actually helps alot with your dps if you add it to your rotation.
    See it this way, the only thing a pet is good for (besides soloing) is keeping your damage buff up.

Ascendant

There is another talent that does different things for the different pets.

The one that is extremely useful in PvP is the healing debuff on the wolf.

Blood Raptor is your PVE dps pet.. for group play
    Razorbeast is your solo pet
    Wolf is for pvp

Closed Thread