+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By forbiddenlake
  • 1 Post By Artewig

Thread: Just coming back - need leveling build advice

Shadowlander

Default Just coming back - need leveling build advice

Hi guys! Thanks for taking the time to stop in and hopefully offer a newbie some help.

My story: Got to 60 on my rogue years ago and now have no idea what build to use.

I've scoured the guides, but can't seem to find what I'm looking for - that's where you come in.

I need an efficient build that will let me quest without having to push 47 buttons every pull. Read:I'm lazy/bad at this game

I saw that someone posted about bladedancer/rs/tact but gave little to no detail on it. To be fair, talk to me like I'm 5. What should my macros look like? Hotbars, etc.

I realize I'm asking for a lot - I'm completely leaning on your extensive knowledge of the class and the game and have nothing to return to you except a "thank you for helping out a newbie here".

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I would do straight Assassin, due to the stealth, and if you use the right poison buffs it's pretty survivable. Any 3.x Assassin build will do (if you use a 4.x guide, subtract any Legendary points).

Muspel has a solo Bladedancer guide that will be relevant til at least 65, but I'm guessing there's too many buttons for you.

Ranger is "ok" to level in due to the tank pet

Thumbs up

I know you say you're lazy, but I wouldn't recommend Ranger if you're looking to level quickly. The damage isn't too strong and you also will struggle to pull several mobs at once due to the fact that the majority of its survivability comes from having the pet hold aggro.

I would definitely second Forbiddenlake's suggestion of Assassin though. Skipping mobs allows you to get to the more important stuff quickly and also gives you an avenue of escape should you run into trouble. You won't be able to fight as many mobs as you would be able to in Bladedancer due to it not having any AoE abilities. The self healing is decent, but if you need more, using 4 Tactician (if you have it) as an off soul gives you quite a bit of self healing.

Bladedancer is one of my favorite builds, but it isn't really macro friendly. Not sure if this is the guide you found, but it is very detailed (and also shows how complex it can be).
    R.I.P.

Shadowlander

Thanks, both of you!

When I say lazy - it's more that I like the idea of putting stuff in a macro. I don't mind if it's 6 macros, just don't want to have to keep up 8 buffs all on different timers, and press 11 keys every pull just to be optimal. (I know, I'm exaggerating :P)

With that said...

61 assassin
    4 into tactician
    and the rest into?

And what would the rotation look like? Sorry, I literally haven't played for since 2011?

If you want more survivability, you could try something like this.

This is not how I would play, and I normally don't recommend things I wouldn't play, but here's how you would play it with the least amount of buttons.
    Abilities to have on your bar:

Impale
    Stealth
    Puncture
    Builder Macro
    Slip Away Macro
    Blinding Powder
    Foul Play
    Poison Gas
    Final Blow
    Enduring Brew
    Leaping Plunge
    Shadow Shift
    Poison Malice

Macros:

Builder Macro

#show Backstab
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Serpent Strike
    cast Phantom Blow
    cast Backstab
    cast Savage Strike
    cast Empyrean Bolt
    cast Debilitating Dart
    cast Expose Weakness

Slip Away Macro:

#show Slip Away
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Slip Away
    cast Hidden Veil

Buffs:
    Leeching Poison
    Lethal Poison
    Enfeebling Poison
    Planebound Resilience
    Curative Engine

Stealth Bar:

Put Expose Weakness, Incapacitate, Elusiveness, Hidden Veil, Jagged Strike on your bar.

Rotation:

Start from stealth. Put Expose Weakness on your target. Cast Jagged Strike. From there, you want to keep Puncture and Impale up on the target. Outside of refreshing those, spam to 5 combo points and use Final Blow. Use Poison Malice when you

As a note, when you hit 62, swap out Empyrean Bolt for Planar Strike as Planar Strike procs poisons from 20m range with the Revitalize mastery.

This is just a very brief intro that should get you started. If you're on NA, feel free to pm me in game, Artewig@Greybriar, should you have any other questions. You can also send me a message on here or just post on this thread.
    R.I.P.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Artewig View Post
    If you want more survivability, you could try something like this.

This is not how I would play, and I normally don't recommend things I wouldn't play, but here's how you would play it with the least amount of buttons.
    Abilities to have on your bar:

Impale
    Stealth
    Puncture
    Builder Macro
    Slip Away Macro
    Blinding Powder
    Foul Play
    Poison Gas
    Final Blow
    Enduring Brew
    Leaping Plunge
    Shadow Shift
    Poison Malice

Macros:

Builder Macro

#show Backstab
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Serpent Strike
    cast Phantom Blow
    cast Backstab
    cast Savage Strike
    cast Empyrean Bolt
    cast Debilitating Dart
    cast Expose Weakness

Slip Away Macro:

#show Slip Away
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Slip Away
    cast Hidden Veil

Buffs:
    Leeching Poison
    Lethal Poison
    Enfeebling Poison
    Planebound Resilience
    Curative Engine

Stealth Bar:

Put Expose Weakness, Incapacitate, Elusiveness, Hidden Veil, Jagged Strike on your bar.

Rotation:

Start from stealth. Put Expose Weakness on your target. Cast Jagged Strike. From there, you want to keep Puncture and Impale up on the target. Outside of refreshing those, spam to 5 combo points and use Final Blow. Use Poison Malice when you

As a note, when you hit 62, swap out Empyrean Bolt for Planar Strike as Planar Strike procs poisons from 20m range with the Revitalize mastery.

This is just a very brief intro that should get you started. If you're on NA, feel free to pm me in game, Artewig@Greybriar, should you have any other questions. You can also send me a message on here or just post on this thread.
    Wow! Thanks a ton. This is super helpful.

Rift Disciple

For soloing 4 in tactician for heal proc and rest in Riftstalker used to be the easiest soloing spec (pull 5+ mobs and AoE them down) and easy rotation.

I dunno if it got nerfed but otherwise its just one of the easiest spec to play that level fast as crazy.

+ Reply to Thread