+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Cladari
  • 1 Post By Isp

Thread: Do I have this right? "Dump that Bard!"

  1. #1
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    20

    Default Do I have this right? "Dump that Bard!"

    Hi all

    Writing here as I am a little sad and somewhat at a loss about feedback on forums on Bards.

    Based on many threads I am finding, it seems I should take a giant "I am an idiot" and stamp it on my head as well as my cloak in game since by most accounts, seems nearly everyone is saying that Bards are just not wanted anywhere anymore o.O

    Are we that bad now?

    I know I have been away for a long time, but I have so been enjoying the new expansion so far that it was kind of a bucket of cold water to come to forums and read that leveling a Bard is apparently now a waste of time. I hit 68 today and have barely felt it even in crappiest of gear. Everything dies fast and admittedly feels a little too easy atm but then, Bards solo can pretty much survive anything. I found myself helping out other players often throughout the weekend with nearly all saying thx for the buffs and the heals, etc.

    SO... the reading was a shocker. When I hit 70 time to bail on my beloved bard if I intend to raid again? If that is the case, do I roll something else? I have always loved support and seeing how that translates into fast kills and healthy teams, but if my Bard won't get the chance what is the best to roll now?
    Last edited by Seani; 11-26-2016 at 05:52 PM.

  2. #2
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,466

    Default

    You're not alone. Archons have been dumped as well. Beastmasters too since Reaver is so much higher.

    Once they do some balance changes then maybe Bards and Archons will be a thing again. But that will likely only be in groups of more than 10 people, of which we may never see other than in open world stuff.
    Archy Mage, Face, Prime, Primal Rouge, Rogue, Eric, W, @ Laethys --- Nefarious ---

  3. #3
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Archyface View Post
    You're not alone. Archons have been dumped as well. Beastmasters too since Reaver is so much higher.

    Once they do some balance changes then maybe Bards and Archons will be a thing again. But that will likely only be in groups of more than 10 people, of which we may never see other than in open world stuff.
    Thanks for the reply. It would seem to be the case given the lack of any other responses. :/

  4. #4
    Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    516

    Default

    My guess is that the age of 20 man raids is over and all new raid content will be 10 man. That said I believe the raids are being tuned for one support per raid and that's why they introduced all the overlap. Now it's just a matter of figuring out which will be best.

  5. #5
    Isp
    Isp is online now
    General of Telara
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    930

    Default

    It is too early to guess. I'm pretty sure that by the time first raid will be released everything will be changed/tuned/nerfed/buffed many times - so no reason to be disappointed right now, we just have to wait and see.
    New player? Apply code TD2TGJH9WGYYLEGC2EMJ or use the link for some free stuff.

  6. #6
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    141

    Default

    61 Bard is fairly pointless atm as BM/Archon have the exact same raid cooldown and for some reason the devs didn't give us a flaring/command to attack equivalent.

    There is a spec similar to the old nightbard pvp spec which provides the most important buffs and pulls 150k+ dps, maybe that will be useful in 10mans. Legendary Cadenza also makes any bard spec incredibly clunky and annoying to play.

  7. #7
    RIFT Guide Writer huangchingho's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bauum View Post
    61 Bard is fairly pointless atm as BM/Archon have the exact same raid cooldown and for some reason the devs didn't give us a flaring/command to attack equivalent.

    There is a spec similar to the old nightbard pvp spec which provides the most important buffs and pulls 150k+ dps, maybe that will be useful in 10mans. Legendary Cadenza also makes any bard spec incredibly clunky and annoying to play.
    Yet no one mentions Orafiler can pull 250k+ dps

  8. #8
    Ascendant DarkDaemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,983

    Default

    In the current meta, a 20 man would want a Pyromancer, BM and an oracle hybrid. A 10 man might want just a BM, and depending on the composition, a Pyromancer. At around 2/3rd of the DPS of a full warrior DPS, you always want a BM for Bond of Power/Focus of Body (800/1000 to every stat), 5% damage buff, the physical and non-physical debuffs, and 5% crit buff. The purpose of the bard/oracle hybrid is smaller, mainly for resonance and possibly fervor. Depending on how much they can do, it may not be worth it in a 10 man environment.

    Beastmasters should spec into the armor debuff, as it's currently close to a 4-5% DPS gain for physical damage.

    Regardless of the setting, you typically don't want a 61 bard or oracle (unless there's a mechanic that could use Legendary Defend the Fallen) unless there isn't an archon/BM present.
    Last edited by DarkDaemon; 11-29-2016 at 07:58 PM.

  9. #9
    RIFT Guide Writer huangchingho's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkDaemon View Post
    In the current meta, a 20 man would want a Pyromancer, BM and an oracle hybrid. A 10 man might want just a BM, and depending on the composition, a Pyromancer. At around 2/3rd of the DPS of a full warrior DPS, you always want a BM for Bond of Power/Focus of Body (800/1000 to every stat), 5% damage buff, the physical and non-physical debuffs, and 5% crit buff. The purpose of the bard/oracle hybrid is smaller, mainly for resonance and possibly fervor. Depending on how much they can do, it may not be worth it in a 10 man environment.

    Regardless of the setting, you typically don't want a 61 bard or oracle (unless there's a mechanic that could use Legendary Defend the Fallen) unless there isn't an archon/BM present.
    But Orafiler > Mage....
    If the fights are not melee friendly, perhaps archon will be optimal?

    Soupoints: http://i.imgur.com/jgWEkdF.jpg
    Do I have this right? "Dump that Bard!"-orafiler.jpg

    Do I have this right? "Dump that Bard!"-orafiler-parse.jpg

    I still don't think bard is a viable option in this expansion, oracle and oracle hybrids still does a lot more.
    No matter how I try I can't seem to find a bard hybrid that does more than orafiler...

    This is the semi-melee bard hybrid that I find that does okay DPS.. (20-30% less DPS than orafiler)

    Soulpoints:http://i.imgur.com/jXuDOGq.jpg
    48Bard/21Shadeborn/7Ranger: (5 Minute Raid Boss Dummy)
    Do I have this right? "Dump that Bard!"-132.jpg

    And this is what a bardphys look like in a 15 man planar assault adventure: (Heals are effective heals comparing to spamming motif of regeneration)

    Soulpoints: http://i.imgur.com/U93BmBS.jpg
    40Bard/36Physician/0Ranger:
    Do I have this right? "Dump that Bard!"-1231231.jpg

    Do I have this right? "Dump that Bard!"-3123112.png

    I think bardphys is more useful than Oraden if someone can provide the Fervor eneregy reduction buff.
    Last edited by huangchingho; 11-30-2016 at 04:19 AM.

  10. #10
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Thanks to all for the more detailed replies and information. I appreciate the help truly.

    I have been playing my Bard since getting the game so this all seems pretty harsh, but I do get it. I guess I should consider myself lucky that in all the other MMOs I have played over the years I have never actually experienced my favorite class or role ever going completely obsolete.

    I will figure out which of these options is best considered for my playstyle to level something different to 70. *sigh* Not a melee player so this does not leave me a lot of wiggle room, but thanks again all the same. I will hopefully settle on some kind of middle ground.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts