+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Artewig

Thread: whats the difference between ranger 61 build for pvp compared to mm 61?

Soulwalker

Default whats the difference between ranger 61 build for pvp compared to mm 61?

Just the pet? Hows the play style different as well?

The rotations themselves are incredibly different, and 61 MM hits much harder and has much better utility than Ranger. Plus you don't have to worry about a pet.
    Last edited by Artewig; 01-04-2016 at 09:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse
    We are absolutely a service industry and you're only as good as your last contact with the customer.

Soulwalker

Default s

i know theres a ton of guides for 61 mm but u happen to know a updated 61 mm guide or updates macro's for 61 mm?

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by shad77381 View Post
    i know theres a ton of guides for 61 mm but u happen to know a updated 61 mm guide or updates macro's for 61 mm?
    The updated MM guide is here http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...man-guide.html

Btw Calculated Shot not being part of the spam builder macro is absolutely intended, not because the guide is outdated... if that's the reason you think the 3.1 MM guide is "outdated".

MM played properly actually juggles between quite a few keys. Not spam builder macro to 5cp then push finisher macro and pop cds as they come up... it's really not like that... hence why people said MM plays drastically differently than 61 ranger... and for the record 61 ranger is the worst single target ranged dps soul in this game rightnow (yes its behind even 61 necromancer or 61 elementalist which are already regarded as "un-viable" its THAT bad)... it's only redeeming factor is it's piss easy to play...
    Last edited by FateStayNight; 01-05-2016 at 01:35 AM.

Telaran

use oranges guide that is linked above my post, but there is one macro missing the cd block macro:

#show bull's eye
    cast bull's eye
    cast empowered shot
    cast rapid fire shot
    cast deadeye shot

u use it at 3 combopoints that did come from empowered shot. then hit the macro u cast deadeyeshot and after deadeye u hit sentry battery.
    also u hit the macro better late into the gcd, because bull's eye is ogcd and sentry battery barly fits.
    if u use it late into the gcd then u make it safer and more sure that sentry battery wont be unbuffed. of course thers no lag in rift so dont worry to much about that

Quote Originally Posted by cataria View Post
    use oranges guide that is linked above my post, but there is one macro missing the cd block macro:

#show bull's eye
    cast bull's eye
    cast empowered shot
    cast rapid fire shot
    cast deadeye shot

u use it at 3 combopoints that did come from empowered shot. then hit the macro u cast deadeyeshot and after deadeye u hit sentry battery.
    also u hit the macro better late into the gcd, because bull's eye is ogcd and sentry battery barly fits.
    if u use it late into the gcd then u make it safer and more sure that sentry battery wont be unbuffed. of course thers no lag in rift so dont worry to much about that
    So from this macro, it looks like you go Bull's Eye>Empowered Shot>Rapid Fire Shot>Empowered Shot>Deadeye Shot>Sentry Battery. I wouldn't macro all that together and I also wouldn't use the first Empowered Shot in case of lag. With my lag there's no way I could ever get the first Empowered Shot in and still have Sentry Battery buffed.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse
    We are absolutely a service industry and you're only as good as your last contact with the customer.

There is nothing wrong with macroing the MM CD Block as such. However, I can think of two good reasons not to.

Firstly, you are adding another hotkey to an already crowded hot bar to macro hotkeys that are already on there.

Secondly, if you don't macro it you have the option of using Hasted Shot instead of DeS. You might want to use HS anyway if you are worried about lag but, also, if you are moving (or might soon need to) as you start the CD block you''ll need to use HS. I would rather have the flexibility than put it all into one macro and risk SB going off unbuffed.

One macro i do have is RFS with Hasted Shot; for when RFS is on CD and I can't stand still for DES. So, if moving, the CD block simply alternates my ES hotkey and the RFS/HS macro (twice) and then SB. If i am simply standing there anyway I'll use DES. Using HS in the cd block is gonna make little difference to your overall DPS over the course of any given fight
    Last edited by Synchro; 01-15-2016 at 04:01 PM.

I haven't experienced much lag with empowered shot myself. I do not use the macro aforementioned though. I do tag energy Manip with my one finisher macro & empowered.
    I keep DE on a seperate key, but do have a RF, DE, HS in a macro (in that order W/BS up or not). I can usually punch empowered shot no problems after the opener.I don't think its a dps loss to hit RF, ES, DE, ES like that for a little burst. If I'm lagging then everything lags on me, but not necessarily one ability. the one calling I do remember being kinda lag weird is Massive blow rotation with shaman but thats a whole different animal.
    Last edited by Croix01; 01-24-2016 at 09:25 AM.
    Niriena, Kearlet, Smilely, Rium

Plane Touched

DES is a cast time ability wherein the GCD is consumed during the 1s cast.

Lock N' Load is only applied on hit.

Therefore, if you try to ES immediately after a DES there will always be a small delay.

Just the pet? Hows the play style different as well?
    Ranger is more harass-y and defensive than Marksman (to the best of my knowledge). It certainly doesn't have the sheer damage output or killing power of Marksman, but you have Diffuse, which one of the most powerful PvP defensive CDs in the game.

I find ranger to be especially annoying in Blighted Antechamber.
    Last edited by DarkDaemon; 01-24-2016 at 10:39 AM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by DarkDaemon View Post
    Ranger is more harass-y and defensive than Marksman (to the best of my knowledge). It certainly doesn't have the sheer damage output or killing power of Marksman, but you have Diffuse, which one of the most powerful PvP defensive CDs in the game.

Pin Down is OP nerf ranger.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by DarkDaemon View Post

NB, Assassin, even Bladedancer with decent gear will all absolutely trash Ranger at BA. Please don't play Ranger. Ever.

I encourage everyone to join the ignorance train by ignoring the ignorant people. If you want to PvE, it doesn't forking matter what you play as long as you have fun with it.

PvP wise however, if you wish to get a win for your team, you'll better be good at playing an underpowered spec. But in general, playing a range class in endgame-PvP, even Ranger, will always make you more viable than any melee class. Besides, I've seen awesome Rangers in PvP. So play whatever the fork you want.

Cheers.

this post brought back some nostalgia... if anyone was around when ID had come out there was a very brief moment of time when ranger was buffed and did more dmg-

so i remember on the bosses after ituziel (dont remember what they were called) my raptor kept getting killed and I had to stop dps and wait 8 seconds for it to respawn LOL

oh rift, i love you <3

Quote Originally Posted by RealRyco View Post
    I encourage everyone to join the ignorance train by ignoring the ignorant people. If you want to PvE, it doesn't forking matter what you play as long as you have fun with it.

PvP wise however, if you wish to get a win for your team, you'll better be good at playing an underpowered spec. But in general, playing a range class in endgame-PvP, even Ranger, will always make you more viable than any melee class. Besides, I've seen awesome Rangers in PvP. So play whatever the fork you want.

Cheers.
    The OP asked about PVP not PVE. And, If you think you've seen awesome rangers in PVP, you either have rather low standards as to what constitutes awesome, or don't really know enough about rogue builds to be advising on them.

If you want to go in as dps, don't pick the worst dps spec.

The reason people take sometimes peculiar pains to point out the Ranger's shortcomings is because, despite it being widely accepted to be inferior to any other DPS soul, it is still remarkably prevalent.

Why is it popular?

It's mostly commonly used by newer players in PvE who want to pootle around with an easy build and are not interested is messing around with different specs. For that, its fine. you can stand away from the mob and pew pew without getting hit. It's easy to play.

Those using it in PvP mostly commonly do so in the mistaken belief their perceived awesomeness vs quest/IA mobs will translate well to PvP; it doesn't. In PvE the pet is a major part of Ranger but it's far less effective in PvP - in fact, it's more of a liability. Tanking pets are pointless as taunts don't work and they do no dps. The raptor can do 20 - 25% of a Ranger's DPS, but it's swift and frequent deaths means it will rarely contribute anything like that, further reducing the ranger's DPS. Aside from the pet, their isn't much else the Ranger brings to the table.

MM, by comparison, is more designed for PvP. It is a veritable swiss army knife of utilities that make it far more useful in a WF. Given an MMs damage is also significantly better, it is clearly the better choice of the two.
    Last edited by Synchro; 02-02-2016 at 07:39 PM.

+ Reply to Thread