+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Does assassin have the most frequent burst out of all the melee classes?

Soulwalker

Default Does assassin have the most frequent burst out of all the melee classes?

I ask because I was watching some burst down videos. And it looked like other classes can out do our burst with ease. But that's what led me to ask, who can burst more often then?

Here is the video I watched.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5wy7CR6MDk

Most of the melee classes have burst that revolves around 1 minute cooldowns. For Assassin, they have some pretty heavy sustain damage as well as stuff like Serpent Strike and the various methods for applying Jagged Strike, which is a pretty potent Damage over Time ability. The main form of burst in Assassin though, is Poison Malice, which is the 60s cooldown that increases poison damage by 125%, this is significant because a large majority of your DPS as an Assassin comes from poisons.

That said, if I had to pick a calling/soul that has the best most frequent burst, I would probably say Paragon, or some of the Nightblade variants.

The reason I say this is because Paragons cooldowns are all based on 15s blocks. For instance, Shifting Blades is a 15s cooldown, Combat Focus is a 30s cooldown, and Alacrity is a 60s cooldown. This means that all these abilities synergize well, and almost always line up together once a minute depending on what rotation you are using for pvp and how often you are in combat.

The reason I say this about Nightblades, is more or less the same reason, with enough points in Nightblade, you get two 30s cooldowns, and two 60s cooldowns that can be paired up together for some incredible burst potential. They also get some high damage fillers like Death from the Shadows (15s cooldown with mastery) and Dusk to Dawn (30s strong DoT/root).

This is not to say the other melee classes don't have incredible burst as well, a good Shaman will eat you alive with Rage of the North/Deep Freeze combos combined with hard hitters like Massive Blow, Glacial Strike, and Jolt, and a good Harbinger can murder you pretty quickly as well. If you were looking for an opinion of what is the best burst, no matter how small the margin, my personal opinion would be Paragon, and whats more, they get a 30s cooldown that allows them to do most of that incredible burst from range for 15s (Harbinger gets something similar).

Maybe some of the pvp youtubers on the forums can pipe in and link some of their Paragon footage. It's pretty crazy how fast they can melt people, and how often they can do it.
    Are you a player looking for class guides and other Rift content?
    ChamberDown Youtube Channel

Are you a new/returning player? Check out all the souls in Rift!
    All Callings/Souls in Rift!

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberDown View Post
    Most of the melee classes have burst that revolves around 1 minute cooldowns. For Assassin, they have some pretty heavy sustain damage as well as stuff like Serpent Strike and the various methods for applying Jagged Strike, which is a pretty potent Damage over Time ability. The main form of burst in Assassin though, is Poison Malice, which is the 60s cooldown that increases poison damage by 125%, this is significant because a large majority of your DPS as an Assassin comes from poisons.

That said, if I had to pick a calling/soul that has the best most frequent burst, I would probably say Paragon, or some of the Nightblade variants.

The reason I say this is because Paragons cooldowns are all based on 15s blocks. For instance, Shifting Blades is a 15s cooldown, Combat Focus is a 30s cooldown, and Alacrity is a 60s cooldown. This means that all these abilities synergize well, and almost always line up together once a minute depending on what rotation you are using for pvp and how often you are in combat.

The reason I say this about Nightblades, is more or less the same reason, with enough points in Nightblade, you get two 30s cooldowns, and two 60s cooldowns that can be paired up together for some incredible burst potential. They also get some high damage fillers like Death from the Shadows (15s cooldown with mastery) and Dusk to Dawn (30s strong DoT/root).

This is not to say the other melee classes don't have incredible burst as well, a good Shaman will eat you alive with Rage of the North/Deep Freeze combos combined with hard hitters like Massive Blow, Glacial Strike, and Jolt, and a good Harbinger can murder you pretty quickly as well. If you were looking for an opinion of what is the best burst, no matter how small the margin, my personal opinion would be Paragon, and whats more, they get a 30s cooldown that allows them to do most of that incredible burst from range for 15s (Harbinger gets something similar).

Maybe some of the pvp youtubers on the forums can pipe in and link some of their Paragon footage. It's pretty crazy how fast they can melt people, and how often they can do it.
    Wow you gave me the exact answer I was hoping for

But that just kind of leaves me a bit lost. I am trying to understand what assassin is for then. Currently I am playing assassin and will likely remain so simply for the fact I like the theme of it . But I am just wondering what my specialty is for if other classes seem to do what I can do damage wise but without the need to stealth :/

Beyond that, you gave an awesome answer thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Hyakun View Post

But that just kind of leaves me a bit lost. I am trying to understand what assassin is for then. Currently I am playing assassin and will likely remain so simply for the fact I like the theme of it . But I am just wondering what my specialty is for if other classes seem to do what I can do damage wise but without the need to stealth :/

You play assassin in pvp to cap points etc. Other then that play OPMan or Nightblade if you want to shut down primalists.

In Rift, each soul has a niche, or purpose where it shines best. For Assassin, all of it's skills are melee range only (less than 5m). This means that on fights with high movement, or where bosses/mobs teleport or are hard to get to, Assassin won't do very well because you'll have whats called a Disconnect, or you will be disconnected from the boss and unable to damage them. Because of this Assassin is typically used for "Tank and Spank" style fights mostly. which means they are limited movement, and you have the ability to stay tight on the boss for most of the time.

Every class has different mechanics they deal with in order to play. Primalists have to make sure they manage their Fury/Cunning bars and have different effects on their abilities based on where they are on that bar. Clerics have to manage their mana, and each soul has different mechanics such as the Cleric's Shaman soul rotating between Physical attacks and Non-Physical attacks to get a buff to Physical attacks damage each cycle. Mages have to manage Charge, and they have things like buffs that give them procs such as Cinder Burst in the Pyromancer soul, and Eldritch Armor in the Harbinger soul for powerful damage attacks. Warriors have to manage Attack points (3) and also Power. They of course also have unique interactions and playstyles for each of their souls. Then you have rogues, who rely on managing their Energy and also their Combo Points, but also have specs such as Assassin that rely on managing stealth, or specs like Marksman that rely on alternating between certain skills to allow more usage of a certain high damage skill.

The point is, each class has their advantages and disadvantages, but every class can do every role, it will just be a different playstyle, and thats what makes Rift great. You can compete with other players using the style of gameplay you enjoy the most. You can also use your "role slots" to hold multiple different builds so that you can change them on the fly later on when you get more into the game. In the beginning, using one build isn't uncommon, but as you learn more you'll start experimenting and start carrying more builds for more purposes. For instance, I carry 12 builds on my Rogue, and I play all of them. Might seem daunting, but it really isn't.

For Rogue, here is a quick synopsis of each soul, and its in general purpose.

Assassin - single target melee. literally no aoe damage, and very limited disconnect capability. It's the rogues Highest damaging spec currently. Mostly used for when high single target damage is needed

Nightblade - single target and multi target melee. swiss army knife soul. decent single target damage, decent aoe damage, 20m range on most of its skills, and some pretty great utlility. jack of all trades, master of none (except cleaving). Mostly used on fights where heavy cleaving is needed.

Bladedancer - single target and multi target melee. solid single target damage, awesome burst aoe damage, zero disconnect capability outside its range on the aoe abilities. Mostly used for trash clearing (killing big groups of trivial mobs in dungeons or raids) and some cleave fights

Marksman - single target ranged. highest single target ranged damage, very good burst, limited aoe damage. This is mostly used in instances where you can't be in melee range, which is very few fights in nightmare tide.

Ranger - singe target ranged. medicore single target ranged damage, decent burst, uses a pet and has limited aoe similar to marksman. This is mostly used for solo play now.

Tactician - multi target ranged/melee. This is a unique soul in that it uses primarily torrents, or large conal sprays of fire/ice/necrotic/curative. It has really good aoe damage, but isnt really used on any relevant raid content or group content outside of maybe nightmare rifts or solo play currently. There is however some powerful hybrids that utilize some degree of this soul.

Saboteur - multi target ranged. This is the highest damage aoe soul the rogue has access to. This soul has a small ramp up time if played correctly, but can also be played with front loaded burst on some variants. This spec is typically used only for trash clearing when you can't be in melee, or when you need heavy 2-3 target cleave or high sustained aoe damage over longer periods of time.

Physician - This is the Rogues healing soul. It functions mostly has a tank healer but has utilites that allow it to heal group content as well. A popular rogue raid healing build is the Phys/Tact which hybridizes Physician and Tactician to give it some very solid aoe healing capability.

Riftstalker - This is the rogues tanking soul. Its style is very mobile with a lot of teleports and 2 weapons instead of a sword and shield. It fits the rogue meta pretty well in my opinion and is a lot of fun to play. This soul is used mostly to tank dungeons/raids to hold aggro and take large amounts of damage for your team.

Bard - Lastly, This is the rogues support soul. you use music to increase collective dps of your party or team. damage is much lower than a full dps spec, but it makes up for it by providing unqiue buffs/debuffs that boost the other players in your 10 or 20 man raid substantially.

**EDIT** Oh, and from a PvP perspective, Assassin is great for stealthing around maps to "back capture" uncontested points, or simply to use your from stealth stuns to throw your enemy off guard. If you cruise through the PVP forums, there are some pretty good builds people use that serve various purposes. NB/Sin, NB/RS, MM, full NB and full Sin are all really popular builds used in PvP.

This is a lot of stuff. I tried to hit all the high points without writing a multi page post here. If you have more questions feel free to ask away and I'll answer them the best I can. =)
    Last edited by ChamberDown; 12-27-2015 at 01:23 AM.

Soulwalker

In Rift, each soul has a niche, or purpose where it shines best. For Assassin, all of it's skills are melee range only (less than 5m). This means that on fights with high movement, or where bosses/mobs teleport or are hard to get to, Assassin won't do very well because you'll have whats called a Disconnect, or you will be disconnected from the boss and unable to damage them. Because of this Assassin is typically used for "Tank and Spank" style fights mostly. which means they are limited movement, and you have the ability to stay tight on the boss for most of the time.

Every class has different mechanics they deal with in order to play. Primalists have to make sure they manage their Fury/Cunning bars and have different effects on their abilities based on where they are on that bar. Clerics have to manage their mana, and each soul has different mechanics such as the Cleric's Shaman soul rotating between Physical attacks and Non-Physical attacks to get a buff to Physical attacks damage each cycle. Mages have to manage Charge, and they have things like buffs that give them procs such as Cinder Burst in the Pyromancer soul, and Eldritch Armor in the Harbinger soul for powerful damage attacks. Warriors have to manage Attack points (3) and also Power. They of course also have unique interactions and playstyles for each of their souls. Then you have rogues, who rely on managing their Energy and also their Combo Points, but also have specs such as Assassin that rely on managing stealth, or specs like Marksman that rely on alternating between certain skills to allow more usage of a certain high damage skill.

The point is, each class has their advantages and disadvantages, but every class can do every role, it will just be a different playstyle, and thats what makes Rift great. You can compete with other players using the style of gameplay you enjoy the most. You can also use your "role slots" to hold multiple different builds so that you can change them on the fly later on when you get more into the game. In the beginning, using one build isn't uncommon, but as you learn more you'll start experimenting and start carrying more builds for more purposes. For instance, I carry 12 builds on my Rogue, and I play all of them. Might seem daunting, but it really isn't.

Assassin - single target melee. literally no aoe damage, and very limited disconnect capability. It's the rogues Highest damaging spec currently. Mostly used for when high single target damage is needed

Nightblade - single target and multi target melee. swiss army knife soul. decent single target damage, decent aoe damage, 20m range on most of its skills, and some pretty great utlility. jack of all trades, master of none (except cleaving). Mostly used on fights where heavy cleaving is needed.

Bladedancer - single target and multi target melee. solid single target damage, awesome burst aoe damage, zero disconnect capability outside its range on the aoe abilities. Mostly used for trash clearing (killing big groups of trivial mobs in dungeons or raids) and some cleave fights

Marksman - single target ranged. highest single target ranged damage, very good burst, limited aoe damage. This is mostly used in instances where you can't be in melee range, which is very few fights in nightmare tide.

Ranger - singe target ranged. medicore single target ranged damage, decent burst, uses a pet and has limited aoe similar to marksman. This is mostly used for solo play now.

Tactician - multi target ranged/melee. This is a unique soul in that it uses primarily torrents, or large conal sprays of fire/ice/necrotic/curative. It has really good aoe damage, but isnt really used on any relevant raid content or group content outside of maybe nightmare rifts or solo play currently. There is however some powerful hybrids that utilize some degree of this soul.

Saboteur - multi target ranged. This is the highest damage aoe soul the rogue has access to. This soul has a small ramp up time if played correctly, but can also be played with front loaded burst on some variants. This spec is typically used only for trash clearing when you can't be in melee, or when you need heavy 2-3 target cleave or high sustained aoe damage over longer periods of time.

Physician - This is the Rogues healing soul. It functions mostly has a tank healer but has utilites that allow it to heal group content as well. A popular rogue raid healing build is the Phys/Tact which hybridizes Physician and Tactician to give it some very solid aoe healing capability.

Riftstalker - This is the rogues tanking soul. Its style is very mobile with a lot of teleports and 2 weapons instead of a sword and shield. It fits the rogue meta pretty well in my opinion and is a lot of fun to play. This soul is used mostly to tank dungeons/raids to hold aggro and take large amounts of damage for your team.

Bard - Lastly, This is the rogues support soul. you use music to increase collective dps of your party or team. damage is much lower than a full dps spec, but it makes up for it by providing unqiue buffs/debuffs that boost the other players in your 10 or 20 man raid substantially.

**EDIT** Oh, and from a PvP perspective, Assassin is great for stealthing around maps to "back capture" uncontested points, or simply to use your from stealth stuns to throw your enemy off guard. If you cruise through the PVP forums, there are some pretty good builds people use that serve various purposes. NB/Sin, NB/RS, MM, full NB and full Sin are all really popular builds used in PvP.

This is a lot of stuff. I tried to hit all the high points without writing a multi page post here. If you have more questions feel free to ask away and I'll answer them the best I can. =)
    I didn't even know 1 character could contain so many builds. But once again the in depth answer is giving me insight on the game . I have only really like 1 day and some hours clocked in in terms of game time. So this is all very helpful. But this also makes things a bit more interesting. Though I cannot imagine managing over 3 builds lol. I am still adjusting using Thread of Death in my rotation XD

I didn't even know 1 character could contain so many builds. But once again the in depth answer is giving me insight on the game . I have only really like 1 day and some hours clocked in in terms of game time. So this is all very helpful. But this also makes things a bit more interesting. Though I cannot imagine managing over 3 builds lol. I am still adjusting using Thread of Death in my rotation XD
    It just takes time. I started with a mage, and only used Pyromancer when I first played rift. Then I used another role slot and since I had purchased the Storm Legion expansion pack, made a Harbinger spec. I used those two for a while before I got further into the game and starting learning more about how to play and the intricacies of Rift. It just takes time in the game really. =)

There are a few viable Rogue hybrids:
    Nightblade/Assassin (38/38 or similar) - competitive with Assassin for single target and used to provide the debuff unique to Assassin while retaining some disconnect and some paltry AOE abilities
    Phys/Tact - used for sustained AoE healing
    Rarer hybrids include Tactman and Assdancer but I don't know anything about them

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by forbiddenlake View Post
    There are a few viable Rogue hybrids:
    Nightblade/Assassin (38/38 or similar) - competitive with Assassin for single target and used to provide the debuff unique to Assassin while retaining some disconnect and some paltry AOE abilities
    Phys/Tact - used for sustained AoE healing
    Rarer hybrids include Tactman and Assdancer but I don't know anything about them
    Lethal poison is no longer unique to assassins/rogues anymore now that there's primalist and dervish.

And there's Assdancer hybrid that preforms very well which is more like assassin (while 38/38 is more like nightblade) but sustains higher but to provide lethal poison debuff auto self nerf dps unlike dervish who provides it passively.

38/38 has really bad aoe. Saying this spec has aoe is like saying trick shot spam or rain or arrows are good aoe.

Tactman is dead spec.

Full tact is also very bad and is worthless in current contents.

Quote Originally Posted by FateStayNight View Post
    Lethal poison is no longer unique to assassins/rogues anymore now that there's primalist and dervish.
    Lethal Poison's crit debuff has never been unique to Assassin as far as I'm aware (aside from maybe the early days of vanilla before I played). Champion has had it for as long as I can remember, and Bladedancer got it during Storm Legion.
    Last edited by Muspel; 12-27-2015 at 04:07 PM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    Lethal Poison's crit debuff has never been unique to Assassin as far as I'm aware (aside from maybe the early days of vanilla before I played). Champion has had it for as long as I can remember, and Bladedancer got it during Storm Legion.
    Its was the only crit debuff accessible by a real ST spec.

Champion has no place in MoM currently, and you run BD in very limited fight especially when BD single target is so terrible. Its a personal ST loss ran by assdancer which is the only thing rogues have to be able to keep up with harb and dervish really. Unless ran in nbsin or sin which are easily replaced by dervish because they are so much more superior ST at no loss whatsoever.

61 sin is behind and has worse disconnect than shaman and nbsin is so bad in target swap. Its really a no brainer to run it with dervish majority of the fights in MoM anyway.
    Last edited by FateStayNight; 12-27-2015 at 06:24 PM.

I did say "paltry" AOE, as opposed to 61 Sin's "None" AOE.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by forbiddenlake View Post
    I did say "paltry" AOE, as opposed to 61 Sin's "None" AOE.
    Rogue is the only class in Rift where their primary ST specs has virtually no cleave capability at all ... and sadly not even top single target comparing to specs like dervish, harb and soon shaman where they can all cleave like a champ while also having superior single target dps. On top of that dervish, harbinger and paragon all have clearly superior disconnect tools than assdancer as well, shaman probably has better disconnect than assdancer too if played correctly.

NBsin, Sin and Assdancer all has no functioning aoe at all.
    Shaman cleaves very well if chose to.
    Harb passive cleave like crazy at no ST dps loss whatsoever AND just like shaman harbinger can full on AoE impressively as well.
    Dervish also has very powerful burst aoe that's passively applied.

Only thing that has comparative sucky aoe is paragon, but warrior has access to RB's. RB single target is very good and does insanely well in burst AoE, even when rift and icy burst are still crit chance bugged hence DIMINISHING their dps severely which can still wipe the floor with 61nb or BD in single target.

61 nightblade has terrible single target, bladedancer cant even compete with nightblade's ****ty single target let along riftblade level single target (which is very high).
    Last edited by FateStayNight; 12-27-2015 at 08:23 PM.

This was exactly what I was looking for as a returning player. It can be a bit daunting to go through a years worth of patch notes trying to see how the souls have been changed. Don't suppose I could convince you to do one of these for mage as well? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    Sentinel of all souls had the crit debuff back in Vanilla. It was called Luminous Gaze.
    I'm ya boss baby, crank it like a chainsaw
    Rogue Moses of <Coriolis>
    "Everyone do their crafting dailies today?"
    Feed our Turtles, upload your combat logs!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast