+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cmptrgeekken

Thread: [3.4] Would Like Feedback on Physician Builds!

Plane Walker

Default [3.4] Would Like Feedback on Physician Builds!

Hey all,

So with both Bladedancer and Saboteur having the +10% to Dexterity and +10% to AP/WD early in their trees, I was wondering if pairing the two souls with a 54 or 58 point build in Physician would be competitive to the 61-point variant in Physician?

Both the 54-point and 58-point builds share a higher AP/Physical Crit value over the 61-point variant, but I haven't done enough extensive testing to really determine which of the three builds renders the best results.

The only reasonable way that I could test out each build was by running them in as many WFs as possible, but I was hoping to perhaps get some advice from the forums from anyone willing to try this spec out or direct me to some better methods of testing the healing potential of the specs.

Here they are:

54 Phys/12 BD/10 Sab:

I took out 4 points in Medicinal Leeching and its upgrade path (considering how rarely I see this being used in both PvE and PvP situations). I also took out 3 points in Gene Amplification but reallocated a single point to Bladedancer's Quick Reflexes, which now grants a total of +3% to Critical Hit chance.

The 12th point in Bladedancer is put into Sprint, which is the only movement utility the build has on a 1-minute CD. At the same time, this grants the 12th point necessary for Weapon Barrage, an interrupt.

This I believe gives all the essentials of Physician ST-healing, minus Intensive Care and Life Insurance, the latter of which is currently bugged in PvP situations for the time being.

What I'm wondering about is whether or not losing 7% healing and absorption from every point you spend in Physician, along with Intensive Care/Life Insurance makes a less viable choice than the 61-point build. Then again, you now have an interrupt and a more flexible movement utility.

The 58-point build (58 Phys/9 BD/9 Sab) resembles more of the capabilities the 61-point build has, though, again, it loses out on Life Insurance (which is bugged!). It virtually has every point in the upper tree other than the upgrade path for Medicinal Leeching. This only benefits from the stat-boosts from BD and Sab with 0 utility.

I prefer the 54-point variant for the movement utility in PvP, though I'm guessing a 58-point build may be superior for PvE purposes for its healing output.

I would really appreciate any thoughts and general feedback on these builds. I simply don't know how I would get an accurate measure of which is more effective considering the last two abilities in the Physician tree seem to see more waste than actual use (a 2-minute cooldown for the 10-second duration of Intensive Care seems a little too niche for certain PvE encounters and otherwise easily wasted in PvP; Life Insurance is a great cooldown but is rather unreliable as an emergency proc in both PvP and PvE situations).

Thanks a lot! c:

Update 1:
    54 Phys has the highest AP but lowest Physical Crit; 58 Phys has the second highest AP and highest Physical Crit; 61 Phys has the lowest AP and second-highest Physical Crit.
    Last edited by Wonski; 11-16-2015 at 04:19 PM.
    Wonskee / Wonrock / Wonlove
    @Deepwood
    Quote Originally Posted by paragonfury View Post
    wtf??? I simply asked for the ultimate one button tempest macro without both torrents, not a fricken story book u nerds.
    \_(ツ)_/

I think one quick way of testing to see if the other builds are more viable is to look at the tooltip healing values for each of the variants. This should give you a rough idea of if the 1% increase to healing / absorption is beat out by the AP / DEX boosts.

Also, for PvP, adding an interrupt to Phys might be attractive, but I don't see it as something typically desirable for PvE, partly because of the high energy cost to interrupting but also because healers should be focusing on keeping that tank alive and not putting their tank at risk in order to interrupt a boss.

One last thing: Physician healing typically focuses on AP more than CP, so I don't think the Crit Chance variant would be all that attractive (especially since it's only a 1% increase to Crit Chance), though I understand the point in there in order to get the interrupt.
    Kengeorge@Hailol <Impulse> 9/12 T1 | 5/11 HK | 4/4 I:GP (1/4 HM)

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgeekken View Post

One last thing: Physician healing typically focuses on AP more than CP, so I don't think the Crit Chance variant would be all that attractive (especially since it's only a 1% increase to Crit Chance), though I understand the point in there in order to get the interrupt.
    Thats not true.

Quote Originally Posted by N3okorrales View Post
    Thats not true.
    Care to elaborate? Not saying you're wrong (I'm not main-spec heal, either), but I've been told to focus on AP when it comes to Physician healing. Are there situations where it's preferable to stack CP for straight tank healing? I think I've mostly heard of CP being attractive for raid healing rather than tank healing, as you don't typically need the same level of consistency with healing output to recover from big hits.
    Kengeorge@Hailol <Impulse> 9/12 T1 | 5/11 HK | 4/4 I:GP (1/4 HM)

Plane Walker

Thanks for the replies!

I'll take a look at each of the tooltips and make updates accordingly.

I realize AP is an important stat for Phys, so these were made to optimize that really. In addition to having higher AP than the 61 variant, the 54 and 58 variants just so happen to share higher Physical Crit values due to the boosts in Dexterity.

For the 54 variant, I agree that it should really be limited to PvP purposes. The 11th point in Bladedancer would grant Sprint as a movement utility, and with just one other point that would otherwise be useless putting into Sab, I thought it would be useful to put the 12th point into the Critical Hit chance talent in the Bladedancer tree instead of the Physician tree purely for purposes of gaining an interrupt.

I've tried managing the interrupt along with self-healing when faced against one or more DPS, and I figured it's there mostly for novelty value. I did manage to interrupt a few casts, but I ultimately prioritized healing myself/others and casting Viral Infection on anyone that tried capping a point. Otherwise I would use Mass Blood Transfusion if I still wanted to get some self-healing while preventing a cap.

At this point I guess I want to know whether or not the 58-point build is more effective than the 61-point variant. With the current bugs to Life Insurance in PvP, I guess going 54 is better than either 58 or 61 builds solely for PvP. I guess I just need to know whether or not most Physician healers here actually rely on Life Insurance to make going 61 worthwhile or whether the total effective healing output is going to be more useful in the 58-point build.

I guess this also goes back to the question: Do people use Physicians as tank-healers in raids? Would Life Insurance be a necessary ability to have, or is it better to be more effective at healing people up?
    Wonskee / Wonrock / Wonlove
    @Deepwood
    Quote Originally Posted by paragonfury View Post
    wtf??? I simply asked for the ultimate one button tempest macro without both torrents, not a fricken story book u nerds.
    \_(ツ)_/

Care to elaborate? Not saying you're wrong (I'm not main-spec heal, either), but I've been told to focus on AP when it comes to Physician healing. Are there situations where it's preferable to stack CP for straight tank healing? I think I've mostly heard of CP being attractive for raid healing rather than tank healing, as you don't typically need the same level of consistency with healing output to recover from big hits.
    When it comes to stats, every spec has stat weights (a ratio of the weighting of each particular stat). You don't just straight stack AP in one spec, or straight stack CP in another spec. Yeah in physician it's nice to have high AP for more consistent heals but in the end you just want the overall gear with highest total stat weight (I don't know how weighting is done for healers)

I generally just gear with;

1 AP=0.95 dex=0.45 str=0.6 CP=0.4 phys crit

With specs that have 10% dex bonus;

1 AP=1.045 dex=0.45 str=0.6 CP=0.4 phys crit

Ultimately these are just estimates and not accurate, but it's probably a good place to start until someone can provide better info
    Last edited by ILikeOranges; 11-16-2015 at 05:36 PM.

ILikeOranges@Zaviel - ARAK IS FINALLY DEAD (MoM World 1st)

Prophet of Telara

Its the same mistake most puris were doing and yobi proved them wrong.That myth about healing consistency its just a myth...

regardless your role you want to stack CP because CP items are the best weighted items with few exceptions ap shoulders and ap chest. Tbh no one is main healer(as rogue) only puris and cloros can be considered that and still they also have to be more than good with other roles.

Tl;dr get to cp softcap and after that get the best weighted items, most of the times those are Ap items but theres a couple of phys crit items that are worth using.

Quote Originally Posted by ILikeOranges View Post

I generally just gear with;

1 AP=0.95 dex=0.45 str=0.6 CP=0.4 phys crit
    I'm sorry for bringing a somewhat side question, but I've always been wondering what weights actually mean, simply put. Do you aim at having your stats like, for example, 9500 AP, 4500 Dexterity, 4000 Crit Power.

Or (which is my current vague understanding but not so sure if correct) is it meant to keep in mind when you compare two items - like if one item has 150 AP (taking equal other stats) then it is worth 150*0,95=142 points, and another item having 220 Crit Power is worth 220*0,4=88 points, which mean the AP one is better? If so - is it correct to calculate all stats down (turn Dex and Str into AP and Crit) to AP, CP and Crit and then compare.

Quote Originally Posted by Dierdre View Post
    I'm sorry for bringing a somewhat side question, but I've always been wondering what weights actually mean, simply put. Do you aim at having your stats like, for example, 9500 AP, 4500 Dexterity, 4000 Crit Power.

Or (which is my current vague understanding but not so sure if correct) is it meant to keep in mind when you compare two items - like if one item has 150 AP (taking equal other stats) then it is worth 150*0,95=142 points, and another item having 220 Crit Power is worth 220*0,4=88 points, which mean the AP one is better? If so - is it correct to calculate all stats down (turn Dex and Str into AP and Crit) to AP, CP and Crit and then compare.
    Item 1:

dex= 366
    str= 277
    ap= 163

weight= (366*0.95)+(277*0.45)+(163*1) = 633.35

Item 2:

dex= 369
    str= 277
    cp= 271

weight= (369*0.95)+(277*0.45)+(271*0.6) = 637.8

CP Item has higher weight so it is a better item

Edit: Also, the weights I wrote down earlier look confusing I guess because of the whole "=" thing.

1 AP
    0.95 dex
    0.45 str
    0.6 cp
    0.4 phys crit

But yeah again this is just an estimate until someone can provide more accurate
    Last edited by ILikeOranges; 11-17-2015 at 07:02 AM.

ILikeOranges@Zaviel - ARAK IS FINALLY DEAD (MoM World 1st)

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dierdre View Post

It's basically the second calculation you mentioned. And no, you don't calculate the stats down, the weighting does that for you (it's why dext is so much higher than str).

As an example, we can compare Boundless Coat to CP Frost Keeper's Tunic and AP Frost Keeper's Tunic.

For the Boundless: (216Str * 0.45) + (296Dex * 0.95) + (279CP * 0.6) = 97.2 + 281.2 + 167.4 = 545.8 pts
    For CP Frost Keeper's: (239Str * 0.45) + (319Dex * 0.95) + (209CP * 0.6) = 107.55 + 303.05 + 125.4 = 536 pts
    For AP Frost Keeper's: (207Str * 0.45) + (375Dex * 0.95) + (108AP * 1) = 93.15 + 356+25 + 108 = 557.4 pts

Therefore, the AP Frost Keeper's will improve your total DPS the most, followed by the Boundless, and lastly the CP Frost Keeper's.

Rift Master

Its the same mistake most puris were doing and yobi proved them wrong.That myth about healing consistency its just a myth...

regardless your role you want to stack CP because CP items are the best weighted items with few exceptions ap shoulders and ap chest. Tbh no one is main healer(as rogue) only puris and cloros can be considered that and still they also have to be more than good with other roles.

Tl;dr get to cp softcap and after that get the best weighted items, most of the times those are Ap items but theres a couple of phys crit items that are worth using.
    Where's the info on this, cause I'm curious what the argument was. Especially with puri, before the shielding changes were put in place, I can see this being the case (being able to force crit, along with the fact that there were no over shields before). And with how Phys mechanics work with overhealing, I can see the argument being made as well. However, I'm wondering if it now starts to fall flat due to shields only presenting a damage reduction as well as having a cap.

Plane Touched

I never actually wanted to share this with the rest of the Rift community, since the last time I shared a build it got nerfed, but this is my PvP phys build:

54 Phys/11 RS/ 8 Tact

P.S. OP, thanks for the letting the cat out of the bag on the 54 Phys hybrids.

NMT T1: Cleared
    NMT T2: 10/11 HK | 4/4 iGP HM

Tbh no one is main healer(as rogue) only puris and cloros can be considered that and still they also have to be more than good with other roles.

I am main spec heals.. theres not many fights a rogue cant heal on. and i dont mean your "average" physician either i mean one who is GOOD at it.

+ Reply to Thread