+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sab the annoying two button spec question

Soulwalker

Default Sab the annoying two button spec question

So, I was doing some work on my Sab spec, so naturally I checked the forums and no one has talked about Sab in a long time. Which I mean, we all hate Sab, its mindless. Has a few uses, but mindless.

Is there an updated spec for Sab for 3.0 or 3.4?

And also I was doing some tinkering on the combat dummies and I cannot figure out if Sab is a DPS loss on 2 targets vs say, 8. So if there are 2 mobs and I HAVE to stay range, should I use a ST spec, or, Sab?

thanks for the help,

Quote Originally Posted by Gambits View Post
    So, I was doing some work on my Sab spec, so naturally I checked the forums and no one has talked about Sab in a long time. Which I mean, we all hate Sab, its mindless. Has a few uses, but mindless.

And also I was doing some tinkering on the combat dummies and I cannot figure out if Sab is a DPS loss on 2 targets vs say, 8. So if there are 2 mobs and I HAVE to stay range, should I use a ST spec, or, Sab?

thanks for the help,
    Well you don't have to play it 2 button :P most people just choose to since it's easier. (only seen 2 or 3 people play it with manually managing some of the abilities). But no there's
    nothing new mentioned anywhere as the spec hasn't changed.

As for 2 targets, if you really really have to stay ranged (the only encounter right now like that is molinar and king) sab is better than marksman for example. The exceptions are if you have too much cleave and balancing is difficult (then go marksman), or if for whatever reason the two targets aren't kept together, or are moving all the time (also go marksman)

ILikeOranges@Zaviel - ARAK IS FINALLY DEAD (MoM World 1st)

Ascendant

MM is really only good for full ST.

And thing with persistent 2+ targets if they are close enough sab will kill MM.
    But at current tier only fight that has persistent 2 target fight is molinar, sab is fine unless your raid dps sucks at balancing the hp difference... then go MM and switch targets while keeping LF on cd and keeping barbed on both the king and the prince.

Soulwalker

Okay great. Thanks for your help. Was actually king and prince I was talking about, couldn't figure out if the damage was worth it.

Rift Chaser

Okay great. Thanks for your help. Was actually king and prince I was talking about, couldn't figure out if the damage was worth it.
    Like oranges said, that fight pretty much depends on your raid as to what is BETTER to use (not necessarily higher dps).

I've done the fight where there was good balance, minimal movement of the bosses and they were always stacked up. In those cases sab is your best bet. Then I've done the fight where the raid can't balance dps, the tanks are not stacked up and constantly running them out of your spike bombs (and they can't interupt). That's when I go MM to help with all of that sh!t. It's also better to go MM in those circumstances so you don't get so extremely annoyed with all the fail going on around you, ie: Tanks running bosses out of 4 stacks of spike bomb. fml
    Dreezie

Soulwalker

thanks for the help,
    Two buttons? It is three if you include planar variation I believe.
    Also I don't hate sab it is my best AOE spec, I use it all the time for Nightmare Tide Experts.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandros Hera View Post
    Two buttons? It is three if you include planar variation I believe.
    Also I don't hate sab it is my best AOE spec, I use it all the time for Nightmare Tide Experts.
    It really depends to what extent you macro stuff. I've seen someone play it with 1, and use energy manipulation instead of planar variation so they don't have to use another button. I play it with 8 because I don't macro everything together

ILikeOranges@Zaviel - ARAK IS FINALLY DEAD (MoM World 1st)

Was just about to post this same thing. So no changes to rotation/spec at all since 2.5 guides?
    Lucith - Lucyith - Luciss
    Greybriar - Guardians

RIFT Guide Writer

This is what I use now.
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#B...8/xp24k/A|XL_w
    The one point in Quick Reflexes can be moved elsewhere if you don't care about the flexibility/utility of the third soul or if your melee weapon is better than your ranged weapon. In that case 1 in NB (burning rage) is a good choice.

Every 2 minutes fit within blade tempo two sets of caltrop charges with rapid setup plus your heavy hitting bombs plus carpet bombing followed by planar variation for some nice burst.

Quote Originally Posted by Gery View Post
    This is what I use now.
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#B...8/xp24k/A|XL_w
    The one point in Quick Reflexes can be moved elsewhere if you don't care about the flexibility/utility of the third soul or if your melee weapon is better than your ranged weapon. In that case 1 in NB (burning rage) is a good choice.

Every 2 minutes fit within blade tempo two sets of caltrop charges with rapid setup plus your heavy hitting bombs plus carpet bombing followed by planar variation for some nice burst.
    Tried 16 bd 6 ranger?

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Nasacrim View Post
    Tried 16 bd 6 ranger?
    No but Hack and Slash is much stronger than those points in ranger.

Quote Originally Posted by Gery View Post
    No but Hack and Slash is much stronger than those points in ranger.
    Is it imperative to have Caltrop Charge ticking continuously on target. Sometimes with the vast variety of bombs I tend to let it drop. If so, then are there any bombs you would rather not use (may be embers, cluster)?

Also, saying every 2 min, should we hold Blade tempo cooldown to have it align with Carpet bombing and Planar variation?

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Dierdre View Post
    Is it imperative to have Caltrop Charge ticking continuously on target. Sometimes with the vast variety of bombs I tend to let it drop. If so, then are there any bombs you would rather not use (may be embers, cluster)?

Also, saying every 2 min, should we hold Blade tempo cooldown to have it align with Carpet bombing and Planar variation?
    if you are using the usual macro with all bombs just clumped in, the best way to do it seems to be 3x Macro -> 5x Caltrop -> Fragment Bomb. That way the charge dot should have close to 100% uptime, at least it does for me.

as for blade tempo, yes you want to delay it 30s each time after the initial one, not only to line up with your personal CDs, but also with buffs like lava field from your supports.

+ Reply to Thread