+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need help gearing at level 65 for solo play

Shadowlander

Default Need help gearing at level 65 for solo play

I just reached level 65 on my Rogue and I'm having trouble deciding the best route to take for end-game gear. My play style is strictly open world, no dungeons or raids. I mostly solo but do take part in zone events, Nightmare rifts and IA. I am an outfitter (450) and runecrafter (450). I am currently wearing mostly Fine Fabled crafted gear (level 61 to 64 stuff).

I am trying to decide whether to craft the level 65 armor and upgrade it or use Void Stones to buy the open world gear from the store. The stats seem quite similar but the store bought gear allows the use of the synergy crystal which does not seem possible with the crafted gear.

I do have a small number of the higher level currencies (Abyssal Marks, etc.) but I doubt I will ever accumulate enough to buy the Dungeon/Raid armor from the store.

I realize that open world content does not require the best possible gear but I would still like to acquire the best gear I can within the constraints of my play style.

I searched the forums and other online resources but came up with conflicting advice.

Any thoughts?

Sword of Telara

If you're going to stick to open world content (rifts, zone events) the game is probably going to be rather shallow to be honest. There just isn't much to do really.

Anyways, here are some/ things you might want to do for gear. PvP and expert dungeons are things I've omitted. The nightmare saga rewards a good weapon (tier 1 quality) but it requires PvP and expert dungeons to obtain.

1) Rust bucket 2 achievement in Port Scuddra.
    2) Chronicles. Daily charges are a huge currency source, though to do more than 2 per day you need to pair up with someone.
    3) Pilfered purses in tarken glacier have a chance to drop level 65 gear.
    4) Buy crafted gear.
    5) As many weeklies as you want to bother with for currency, and then get the rest off the rift store.

If you are unwilling to do chronicles, I'm not completely sure what the best gear you are going to be able to obtain would actually be. Planar crafted stuff is the obvious choice for the slots which allow it but it is rather expensive. That is the Bloodthirster's stuff for dps (I can't remember what the rogue tank one is called) that requires imperishable darkness to upgrade amongst other expensive things.

The crafted item upgrade trees are getting changed in 3.4. I don't know the full details of this, but it's quite possible that their final versions will be better than the void stone items from the store, and maybe even the expert items too. As for upgrade costs (in terms of currency, anyway) I can honestly say that I haven't really paid attention to which ones are better value.

At the end of the day, if all you're doing is open world stuff, then you don't have that much need for gear with the possible exception of raid rifts which require 1k hit. Things just aren't that difficult once you have 800 hit plus a full set of runes/orbs.

I think it goes without saying that you're kinda shooting yourself in the foot by not taking part in other activities, but I'm sure you're more than aware of that much.
    Last edited by Foolio; 09-29-2015 at 10:39 AM.
    Spellbook@Greybriar
    Rejuvenation@Greybriar

Shadowlander

Thanks Foolio. I did not realize the crafted upgrades were changing in 3.4. That sounds like a good reason to delay the decision until after 3.4 is released and then reevaluate. I was sort of leaning toward the void stone items due to the synergy crystals but if the crafted gear ends up better then I will probably go that route.

Regarding my choice to eschew dungeons and raids, I'm an old geezer with somewhat clumsy hands. Playing by myself it is no big deal if I mess up and hit the wrong keys or even get lost but I don't like to inflict that upon a group. Plus I have found that dungeon groups tend to want to go at top speed which I do not find enjoyable. I like to take the time to read the quests, enjoy the scenery, etc. And finally, again due to my clumsy hands and slow reaction times I will never be accused of having top tier dps. Perhaps if I can find a group of other folks who are like-minded I will be able to enjoy doing dungeons and raids.

Thanks again for all of your advice.

+ Reply to Thread