+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Asking for Help with a PVP Build/Guide (Melee)

Telaran

Default Asking for Help with a PVP Build/Guide (Melee)

Hello everyone!

I was wondering if someone, or many, could help me with a PvP melee build. I have searched the forums and everything that I do find is for PvE and not PvP. I understand that the majority of the guides can be used for PvP as well, but I am trying to find one that is designated only for PvP. In other words, the soul trees would be more beneficial in PvP if the points were invested in something else geared towards PvP rather than a PvE encounter. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with melee trees or the strategies best used in PvP.

The spec I am looking for would rely on stealth and be a formidable opponent in a single target fight. Something that would be a menace to a single defender at a flag or taking out the flanks or rear in a large warfront.

So this basically points to assassin, but I am unsure of how many points to put into assassin and what other souls would be an asset to the assassin tree.

I am uninterested in AE damage. The build I am looking for would solely be for single target warfare.

I would love to have an interrupt if possible. Also, anything that would allow me to run away and come back to fight at my own choosing would be a plus. (Like a sprint or teleport that would let me stealth and lick my wounds so I could charge back in)

A snare or root would be great as well and anything that could remove negative effects on me would be wonderful!

Another question that I would like to ask is whether or not DoT's would be better in a scenario like this or to keep it strictly direct damage? Since I am looking at more of a "glass cannon" build I would assume that direct damage is the way to go, but I am not an expert at this and would like your opinions.

I am a mouse clicker and it would have to be a build in which I could play with that style. Unfortunately, I am unable to use a lot of key bindings so something not so difficult in playing would be a godsend.

I'm sure there are some guides out there that fit this criteria and do not need to be modified by much. If there are, could you post a link to the guide and tell me what you would do differently for a PvP version?

Thank you all for your posts on this matter and any and all opinions are welcome! (Please! I insist!)

Telaran

Thank you Nebucent for your soultrees

A couple of questions for you if you do not mind.

By chance do you have a link to a guide that has a list of macros to go with the trees provided? I'm unfamiliar with melee and do not know what would be the best combo for builders or finishers.

Also, in three of the profiles provided you have Riftstalker. Teleport is great so I understand the reasoning behind 0 points in Riftstalker for two profiles because it provides Shadow Shift.

Would Marksman be a better alternative in the 0 point trees? It has On the Double which would provide 50% run speed for 5 seconds and is on a 20 second cool down compared to the 45 second cooldown of Shadow Shift and it also has Swift Shot to provide a 15% run speed increase for 10 seconds.

Thanks!

Plane Touched

You wont find many in-depth PvP guides. but you can find guides for their PvE counterparts.

For 54/22 you'll want to take RS as your 0 point sub-soul, but for 40/36 you can take MM if you prefer the oGCD runspeed over the port.

Telaran

Alas, more questions for you rogues.

For Assasins it seems that the self buff weapon enchantments are Virulent Poison (2), Leeching Poison (12), Lethal Poison (20), Malicious Poison (54), and Enfeebling Poison (needs 35 points in tree and a point must be spent to select this skill). Without Master of Poisons (61 points in Assassin talent tree) you can only activate up to 2 weapon enchantments.

Question 1 - Which poisons would you use?

If 54 points were in Assassin, I would think Lethal Poison for the 5% critical hit and Malicious Poison because it does the most damage with 809 and also returns 2 energy. If you have Master of Poisons would the third be Leeching Poison for the restoration of health or Enfeebling Poison for the 10% less damage to the rogue? Or, would you go ahead and use Virulent Poison because it does 485 Water Damage compared to the 431 Water Damage of Enfeebling and Leeching Poison?

Concerning Enfeebling Poison, since it does less damage than Virulent Poison and the same as Leeching Poison, would you even spend a point in the Assassin tree to grant 10% less damage to the rogue from a single enemy or would it be better to spend the point on something else?

---

Serrated Blades causes your melee weapon abilities to have a 50% chance to cause the target to bleed for 60% of your weapon’s damage over 6 seconds. Can be applied up to 3 times. (Rank 3/3)

So for Serrated Blades rank 3/3, it can cause the target to bleed for 180% of your weapon's damage over 6 seconds. (If I'm reading it correctly)

Question 2 - What exactly is "weapon damage" in a skill such as this?

Let's say the weapon being used is the Bloodthirster's Abhorrent Stilleto: 782-1452 damage every 1.8 seconds. Damage per second: 620.6.

Would it be 180% of a random generated number from 782-1452 divided over 6 seconds? Would the "weapon damage" include your attack power for a higher number then divided over 6 seconds?

Assassin Skills mentioned:

Virulent Poison – [1 hour self buff] Grants weapon ability attacks a 50% chance to deal an additional 485 Water damage. 2

Leeching Poison – [1 hour self buff] Grants weapon ability attacks a 50% chance to deal an additional 431 Water damage and restore 267 health to the Rogue. 12

Lethal Poison – [1 hour self buff] Grants weapon ability attacks a 50% chance to deal an additional 431 Water damage and increase the chance for the enemy to be Critically Hit by 5% for 15s. 20

Malicious Poison – [1 hour self buff] Grants weapon ability attacks a 50% chance to deal an additional 809 Water damage and return 2 energy. 54

Enfeebling Poison – [1 hour self buff] Grants weapon ability attacks a 50% chance to deal an additional 431 Water damage and causes the enemy to deal 10% less damage to the Rogue. 36 points in tree

Serrated Blades – Your melee weapon abilities have a 50% chance to cause the target to bleed for 60% of your weapon’s damage over 6 seconds. Can be applied up to 3 times. (Rank 3/3)

Poison Mastery – Increases the Weapon damage and Attack Power bonus of your Poison-coated weapons by 15% and the chance to apply Poison to your enemy by 50%.

Question 3 - Do all the Nightblade 1 hour self buffs stack with each other? (As in, is there a limit to how many you can use as in the example with Assassin at a max limit of 2 unless you have Master of Poisons)

Question 4 - If there is a limit, which ones should you use for PvP? (If you can only use one "Blades" buff I would think that the Ebon Blades would be the most preferred for the 100% chance to deal 200 damage and causing the enemy to take 5% more damage per stack for a max of 3 to be 15% extra damage from the rogue) If there is no limit, please see Question 5.

Question 5 - Are Assassin self buffs and Nightblade self buffs (the 1 hour self buffs) able to be used together?

If you spend 44 points in Nightblade you will get Touch of Darkness – [1 minute Cooldown] For the next 6 seconds, weapon ability attacks deal an additional 1152 Death damage and drain 5 energy or 5 power or 3% of the enemy’s maximum mana.

Question 6 - With regards to Touch of Darkness, are weapon ability attacks only builders, finishers, and auto-attacks? or will Touch of Darkness also activate from weapon procs and buff procs?

Nightblade Skills mentioned:

Scourge of Darkness – [30 Second Cooldown] Causes the next 10 (increases to 15 with 5/5 in Blackout) weapon attacks to deal additional damage per Combo Point. (5 points: 1312 damage) 26 points in tree

Hellfire Blades – [1 hour self buff] Grants weapon ability attacks a 30% chance to deal an additional 792 Fire damage. 8

Smoldering Blades – [1 hour self buff] Grants weapon ability attacks a 30% chance to deal an additional 1268 Fire damage over 12 seconds or if the enemy has 5 stacks, consumes all stacks to deal 2642 Fire damage. 24

Fell Blades – [1 hour self buff] Grants weapon ability attacks a 30% chance to deal an additional 687 Death damage, reduce healing received by 10% for 15s, and siphon the stolen healing to the rogue. 36

Touch of Darkness – [1 minute Cooldown] For the next 6 s, weapon ability attacks deal an additional 1152 Death damage and drain 5 energy or 5 power or 3% of the enemy’s maximum mana. 44

Ebon Blades – [1 hour self buff] Grants weapon ability attacks a 100% chance to deal an additional 200 Death damage and debuffs the enemy, causing them to take 5% more damage, per stack, from the Rogue. Max 3 stacks. 54

Thank you for your help!

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Aieanah View Post
    Alas, more questions for you rogues.

If you spend 44 points in Nightblade you will get Touch of Darkness – [1 minute Cooldown] For the next 6 seconds, weapon ability attacks deal an additional 1152 Death damage and drain 5 energy or 5 power or 3% of the enemy’s maximum mana.

Question 6 - With regards to Touch of Darkness, are weapon ability attacks only builders, finishers, and auto-attacks? or will Touch of Darkness also activate from weapon procs and buff procs?

Touch of Darkness – [1 minute Cooldown] For the next 6 s, weapon ability attacks deal an additional 1152 Death damage and drain 5 energy or 5 power or 3% of the enemy’s maximum mana. 44

Found the answer to this in Gery's NB PVE guide from two years ago:

Touch of Darkness
    For the next 6 seconds weapon ability attacks deal additional death damage and drains the target's energy/power/mana. Most noteworthy thing here is to know what counts as an attack. SoD charges, autoattacks, trinket/weapon procs do not count. Each ability such as Primal Strike or Dusk Strike counts as one attack. First tick of Fiery Spike also counts as an attack, so finishers are actually two attacks each since they also cast a Fiery Spike through Lingering Flame mechanic. Each tick of Living Flame counts as an attack, and because Living Flame casts a Fiery Spike on each tick that means Living Flame does 2 attacks per second to all targets for 6 seconds. For this reason Touch of Darkness is always best used with Living Flame.

If anything has changed would someone post differently? Thanks a bunch!

Prophet of Telara

Found the answer to this in Gery's NB PVE guide from two years ago:

Touch of Darkness
    For the next 6 seconds weapon ability attacks deal additional death damage and drains the target's energy/power/mana. Most noteworthy thing here is to know what counts as an attack. SoD charges, autoattacks, trinket/weapon procs do not count. Each ability such as Primal Strike or Dusk Strike counts as one attack. First tick of Fiery Spike also counts as an attack, so finishers are actually two attacks each since they also cast a Fiery Spike through Lingering Flame mechanic. Each tick of Living Flame counts as an attack, and because Living Flame casts a Fiery Spike on each tick that means Living Flame does 2 attacks per second to all targets for 6 seconds. For this reason Touch of Darkness is always best used with Living Flame.

If anything has changed would someone post differently? Thanks a bunch!
    that guide is still up to date and its the nb guide with more information, any question about nb u can find it there.

Plane Touched

To answer your second question....

I will not go too deep into this because I am not 100% sure how the math works, but here is a brief overview. All 4 classes have access to three damage stats--- Attack Power/Spell Power, Critical Hit Chance, and Critical Hit Power. However, Warriors and Rogues' damage also scales off their weapon damage. This is not the case for Mages and Clerics. For the "Casters"
    there weapons simply add stats (SP,CC, and CP) to their stat pool. "Non-Casters" also get the added stats, but the weapons dps number is factored into the damage calculations---i.e., better weapon dps yields higher tooltip numbers.

NMT T1: Cleared
    NMT T2: 10/11 HK | 4/4 iGP HM

Telaran

Thanks OmegaDagger. I understand, well besides the mathematical formulas of how it works, about attack power/spell power, phys crit, and crit power. Perhaps I worded my question wrong.

If a skill says "Does weapon damage over 6 seconds," what exactly would be used as the weapon damage calculated number?

Let's say there are two weapons:

Weapon 1: 782-1452 damage every 1.8 seconds. Damage per second: 620.6.

Weapon 2: 3910 - 7260 damage every 9 seconds. Damage per second: 620.6.

Would the "weapon damage over 6 seconds" differ depending on which weapon was equipped in the main hand due to the actual number damage difference? So with weapon 1 you would have 782-1452 over 6 seconds. Thus, equipping weapon 2 would have 3910-7260 damage over 6 seconds?

or

Would the "weapon damage over 6 seconds" remain the same with either weapon because both have the same damage per second?

Thanks

Right now I am in the 61-64 warfront bracket. I have a TON of fun being stealthed and attacking healers, killing defenders, taking points etc. I just make sure I have the best gear I can afford for that level. The video guide I used was made by ChamberDown located here

Hope it helps you as much as it did me.

Rift Master

...snip...
    The later. Abilities all scale off the DPS value, which is normalized for all weapons in a tier (ie. all weapons of the same quality within the same tier have the same weapons dps). The only place the actual weapon damage comes into play is auto attacks, which again, is normalized and makes up such a small portion of our actual damage that it isn't worth worrying about.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Mortosa View Post
    Right now I am in the 61-64 warfront bracket. I have a TON of fun being stealthed and attacking healers, killing defenders, taking points etc. I just make sure I have the best gear I can afford for that level. The video guide I used was made by ChamberDown located here

Hope it helps you as much as it did me.
    Thanks Mortosa! That guide helped a lot. I tried Nightblade and I didn't like it. Assassin playstyle seems more relaxed than Nightblade, I will definitely try this out. Thanks again for posting the link and I'm so glad that the macros and Kalerts were on the youtube page.

I'm ok with my gear. I don't have a full set of T2 or anything but it's T1 with a couple of T2 and PVP weapons, earrings, etc... My problem is that when I started playing Rift I didn't know that much about the game and I didn't know that you could switch roles.

I initially had a rogue that was an assassin but got to level 21 and thought that I wanted to do more in group settings so created another rogue and leveled up to 55 as a bard. I joined a guild at that level and then found out that you could have other roles haha. Trying to play melee was a bit overwhelming and I kept dying while soloing. So I kept to bard or ranger pre 61-65. The only melee I've actually done is when I tank in Riftstalker but I wouldn't call that a melee build per say and I'm the designated bard in my guild when we raid.

It's just trying to get used to the melee aspect that will be the hard part!

Quote Originally Posted by Caldorian View Post
    The later. Abilities all scale off the DPS value, which is normalized for all weapons in a tier (ie. all weapons of the same quality within the same tier have the same weapons dps). The only place the actual weapon damage comes into play is auto attacks, which again, is normalized and makes up such a small portion of our actual damage that it isn't worth worrying about.
    Thanks Caldorian for the information! It explains a lot now!

+ Reply to Thread