+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Caldorian

Thread: QoL Change: Passive CPs when out of combat

Rift Master

Default QoL Change: Passive CPs when out of combat

With the Markman change in place for a while now, I think it's time to have this discussion:
    Why not have rogues and warriors passively build combo points / attack points when out of combat?

I'm pretty sure I asked this back when the MM changes were first made, and the only response I got was from Gery saying Vladd told him never going to happen. But no reasoning why.

Quick history lesson for those new to the game about CPs and class equivalents (feel free to correct, doing this all from memory):

- Rogues: Used to have their CPs attached directly to enemies (similar to Sab's charges). When you swapped enemies / the enemy died, the CPs were lost. I want to say this was changed somewhere around the ver 1.6 days, bringing Rogues in line with warriors. 3.1 version of Marksman added out of combat (OOC) CP building with the change to Quick Reload.
    - Warriors: No class changes (AFAIK). VK was changed somewhat recently to add passive pack building (near the end of SL I think?).
    - Clerics: No class wide changes as Clerics don't have a functional equivalent. However, in recent-ish times (can remember the exact timing), Justicar and Warden gained OOC stacking of Convictions / Dangers of the Deep (respectively).
    - Mages: Memory is a little hazy here. Can't remember at launch if mages lost all charge immediately when OOC, or if it was always a slow decline. Lost all charge when changing specs. I'm fairly certain this was removed at some point. Then, with version 2.8, things changed so that charge was gained passively when OOC.

Long story short, Rift has continually adjusted things so that it's easier to start combat with a full set of "resources". Both Rogue and Warriors now have the ability to do so, but requires temporarily swapping specs to phys/lib, and then swapping back, adding an unnecessary step. So I'm curious: Why not skip the middle man, and give passive CP/AP building to all souls / as a base function of class?

Discuss...
    Last edited by Caldorian; 08-13-2015 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Fixed up some formatting

Shadowlander

That was already asked in other topics, the problem is that Trion dont say nothing about the subject and the player community for some weird reason say no for that.

I dont understand why, is not like we are asking for free Combo Points in combat. I just wanna have my full combo points before pulls without need to swap to Tempest or Liberator to get it. Marksman already have it, so they already have the source to make the passives.

Its simples, its not op and it will only help.

In fact, they could do something fun about it. Put it like a CLASS passive on level 60 or 65 =)

Only Vigil know why the hell Trion dont make it.

Rift Master

No one else has thoughts about this?

Plane Touched

im not in favor of dumbing down rift any further.

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Caldorian View Post
    - Mages: Memory is a little hazy here. Can't remember at launch if mages lost all charge immediately when OOC, or if it was always a slow decline. Lost all charge when changing specs. I'm fairly certain this was removed at some point. Then, with version 2.8, things changed so that charge was gained passively when OOC.
    Still lose all charge on spec swap. Still a 5s delay after out of combat for charge regen to begin. Still get zero charge regen if any damn DoT is on us at all on res. Still take so damn long to regen charge passively that you'rek going to use storm locus/fire storm/illuminate to build charge anyways.

Effectively, the only change for mages is if the pulls take an *** long time to prep (20s+), you won't have to do anything to regen charge.
    Meciel - Mage - Defer Death - Greybriar
    12/12 T1, 14/15 T2, 1/9 T3

Rift Disciple

You have to look at what has the most to gain.

NB a bit to have scourge topped off at the start of every pull
    Bard have no agro debuffs up and heals if virtuoso is up
    BD heals between pulls
    RS stacking Planar boost very quickly (likely why this change will never happen) %10 damage increase in 5 hits
    Tact not having to cast a ray would be nice but only really shaving off one GCD
    Sab i cant see any benifit
    Sin I have impale too quickly for this to really help
    Haven't purchased nt so I can't comment on phys and I haven't played ranger in forever

My guess is Vladd said never as they want people to mostly be using 61 specs and this would make 16+ in to RS a huge bump due to the lack of build up on boost plus the survivability you would make it king at least for PVP

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiune View Post
    You have to look at what has the most to gain.

NB a bit to have scourge topped off at the start of every pull
    Bard have no agro debuffs up and heals if virtuoso is up
    BD heals between pulls
    RS stacking Planar boost very quickly (likely why this change will never happen) %10 damage increase in 5 hits
    Tact not having to cast a ray would be nice but only really shaving off one GCD
    Sab i cant see any benifit
    Sin I have impale too quickly for this to really help
    Haven't purchased nt so I can't comment on phys and I haven't played ranger in forever

My guess is Vladd said never as they want people to mostly be using 61 specs and this would make 16+ in to RS a huge bump due to the lack of build up on boost plus the survivability you would make it king at least for PVP
    The biggest gain would be NB will be able to preload scourge of darkness.

Either way if a rogue really wants to preload/start at 5cp they can do it rightnow.
    You can be in MM and wait for 15 seconds or you can always switch to 61 phys and cast adrenaline shot and switch to w/e spec you want... just little tip for troubled rogues out there.

Also the phys switch is the fastest way, unless you are some uber clicker and don't know where your buttons are, the phys switch trick then switch back can be done in under 10 seconds.
    Last edited by FateStayNight; 08-20-2015 at 02:36 PM.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by FateStayNight View Post
    The biggest gain would be NB will be able to preload scourge of darkness.

Either way if a rogue really wants to preload/start at 5cp they can do it rightnow.
    You can be in MM and wait for 15 seconds or you can always switch to 61 phys and cast adrenaline shot and switch to w/e spec you want... just little tip for troubled rogues out there.

Also the phys switch is the fastest way, unless you are some uber clicker and don't know where your buttons are, the phys switch trick then switch back can be done in under 10 seconds.
    precise diagnosis xD

And for those without phys, you can always switch to Sab and go Rapid Setup then one of your charges (Assuming at least 13 points spent in Sab for Silent Setup).

As much as I'd like to have them always passively build when out of combat, I don't think it's necessary. The amount of time and effort put in is far less than the reward.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse
    We are absolutely a service industry and you're only as good as your last contact with the customer.

+ Reply to Thread