+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Questions about Ranger build for duoing open world content

Shadowlander

Default Questions about Ranger build for duoing open world content

I'm trying to find a good build for my wife and I to use as a duo, open world content only. We will not be doing any dungeons or PvP but will probably do IA. My wife prefers to play a ranged class that is not too difficult (Fire Mage in WoW and Hunter in LoTRO). I was thinking about 61 Ranger, 11 RS, 4 Tac but have not seen any mention of this particular build online anywhere.

I realize duoing solo content should be dead easy with any build but I want something that will be ranged, survivable and fun to play. The only thing I see wrong with Ranger for this application is the lack of good AOE ability. Preferably we will both be playing the same build so I can help her learn the rotations, etc.

We are open to other classes besides rogue so long as it meets the above criteria but we both enjoy playing as bow users.

Ideas? Comments? Suggestions?

Rift Disciple

You've really limited your options if you add "bow user" to the criteria --- I think that's pretty much ranger and marksman. The ranger tanking pet would be fun to keep the target aggroed while you and your wife kill it from range. Rangers are very effective at PvE, but don't expect to be welcome in raids or endgame instances: it's just the way it is. My lvl65 ranger is exclusively PvP.

The mage pyromancer is similar to the WOW fire mage, but more single target. I have a lvl65 pyromancer that I swap with a stormcaller for AoE ... I find that mix great for endgame places like Hammerknell and Nightmare Rifts where you might swap depending on the mobs.

If you really want a change of pace, try Warrior Reaver build. That's a range warrior --- a bit of contradiction in terms for me, but the guy can really slam single target and has a fair AoE --- and wears plate for lotsa durability.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Haemysh View Post
    I'm trying to find a good build for my wife and I to use as a duo, open world content only. We will not be doing any dungeons or PvP but will probably do IA.
    In all honestly under that criteria you can play almost anything. The soul system in Rift really shines in the open world setting, and because of its versatility you can carry multiple roles to be able to play around with things. The is especially true before you hit level cap. The content from 1-60 is very easy, which allows for you to explore many different build options. Most of those options would be considered worthless for endgame content, but since that is not your goal the world is your oyster.

If she wants an easy ranged rotation, the reaver soul for Warriors is currently the simplest ranged soul. If she wants to stay as a rogue, there are nightblade + bard hybrids that work very well for open world content, especially if you are grouping. Also, the ranger spec you suggested would work fine too. Lastly, if she ever wants to be adventurous and play melee, there are RS + nightblade and RS + Bladedancer builds that are very strong in the open world.

GL and HF

NMT T1: Cleared
    NMT T2: 10/11 HK | 4/4 iGP HM

Shadowlander

Thanks Phayse and OmegaDagger. I think we will start off with a pair of Rangers. If we end up getting in trouble due to lack of AoE we will try something else. Does the Reaver have good AoE? If not, is there another ranged class that has good AoE and is fairly easy to play?

Once she gets comfortable with the game I may be able to talk her into trying a melee spec. :-)

Since we will not be doing end-game instances or raids we will not be trying to min/max our dps. The only grouping we will be doing is public groups like rifts and IA. That does bring up a question however: when we are grouped as a duo can we join public groups for rifts and IA or will we have to drop our group first?
    Last edited by Haemysh; 08-11-2015 at 06:08 AM.

You can merge your group with another public group, and unmerge when you want.

Reaver has good AoE

Soulwalker

You could go real easy and use Sab. If you're not min-maxing it looks like you can macro most of the attack and if you're adventurous, you could tank a bunch of mobs together while your wife burns them down.

Might be worth looking into for secondary builds for when you can herd a bunch together. I did a similar role with my daughter although I was playing the sab while she herded things in her warrior as Beastmaster. I was max level with good gear runinng IAs with her though so we could afford the bad combo with overkill and the Sab's Incriminate. Was an entertaining choice.

Did something like it with an AoE Defiler build as well. Great fun when everyone in the IA realizes what's going on and herds everything around.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by forbiddenlake View Post
    Reaver has good AoE
    Reaver does not have good AoE, especially compared to its ST damage capability.

Rift Disciple

For AoE, I think there's nothing more fun than Mage/Stormcaller ---I just love the animation! But don't expect much of a ST damage out of him. Stormcaller matched with Ranger --- now that's an 'odd couple.'

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by phayse View Post
    Reaver does not have good AoE, especially compared to its ST damage capability.
    Yea everyone that knows how to play this game knows Reaver can't aoe worth a ****. The worst cleaving among all ST dps souls in Rift.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ironside View Post
    You could go real easy and use Sab. If you're not min-maxing it looks like you can macro most of the attack and if you're adventurous, you could tank a bunch of mobs together while your wife burns them down.
    Just to clarify, the above suggestion would require an actual tank rather than relying on the ranger's tank pet. While piggy could go around and tag different mobs and have initial aggro on all, the sab would quickly out aggro all but the mob that is the boar is attacking (and depending on gear, probably not even on that mob).

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by FateStayNight View Post
    Yea everyone that knows how to play this game knows Reaver can't aoe worth a ****. The worst cleaving among all ST dps souls in Rift.
    /sarcasm off

Reaver's aoe is very strong and essentially free since Plague Bringer does not affect the damage on your main target. Again though, until you get to 65 do whatever you want. My first character was a rogue that I leveled exclusively in assassin doing open world content.

NMT T1: Cleared
    NMT T2: 10/11 HK | 4/4 iGP HM

+ Reply to Thread