+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By forbiddenlake

Thread: Viability of Ranger

Soulwalker

Default Viability of Ranger

So I'm a returning player, and I've always dug ranged/hunter types in games, so I rolled a Ranger preset. So far, I'm having a blast with this spec. I just dig the playstyle; it's fun. But is it going to gimp me once I hit max level and start running dungeons? I've read enough to know that it's not really raid viable, and I guess I'm okay with that. I'm generally not a fan of melee, but I'm willing to give it a shot if it means getting into some end game content.

But is Ranger just considered a toy spec, something fun to play around with but not really for any serious play? I'd hate to invest the time into the soul and leveling it and learning the rotation/playstyle if it isn't going to really serve me well in the long run.

Rift Disciple

Ranger's dps is so far behind everything else that it's not an option for any PvE endgame. It's decent in pvp so if you really enjoy the playstyle you can use it there, but for dungeons/raids or even open world content you will be expected to have a melee dps spec. There are 3 of them and they all play slightly differently, so the chances are not bad that you will find at least one that's bearable to play.

If you absolutely want to go ranged, there is always 61 Marksman which has much better dps than ranger, but not nearly as much as the melee ones.

Soulwalker

Ugh. Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll keep it for just putzing around or something. Problem is, I hate picking up specs mid-leveling because I always feel lost, but I'll take a peek at some of the top rogue specs and give them a shot. I was kinda afraid of that, heh. Ah well, just a game! Thanks again, much appreciated.

Ranger isn't the end of the world. It used to be the best ranged spec, after all. It's outclassed by MM and the melee specs, and you should not ever use it in raids. But at this point, use it in anything else you want IMO, including dungeons (just don't let your pet pull mobs for the tank).

Also, I'd posit that learning a spec while less than max level is worse than at max, because you will not have all your abilities, and some of them change the spec drastically (eg Inquisitor, and (somewhat less so) Ranger who only gets Twin Shot at level 57), so you will be practicing subpar rotations. IMO, get max then take an hour or two to read, understand, and practice a spec guide you find on the forums.
    Last edited by forbiddenlake; 08-04-2015 at 06:46 AM.

Soulwalker

Thanks for the info, forbiddenlake. I think I might do that. I'm not even sure I'll get into raids unless I find a good guild that would help me out. Max level might be dungeons/crafting. But it's always good to have a backup role that will work in a raid. Many thanks, kind sir/madam.

+ Reply to Thread