• 1 Post By FateStayNight
  • 1 Post By OmegaDagger
  • 1 Post By Kaiune
  • 2 Post By Artewig

Thread: Must-Have Rogue Specs?

Plane Walker

Default Must-Have Rogue Specs?

Hey everyone! c:

So I've learned to play a number of builds for my rogue, but I was wondering what other builds I was missing that I could try out. Here are my current specs:

1. 54 Sab / 11 MM / 11 Rng (AOE damage)
    2. 61 Bard / 11 MM / 4 NB (support)
    3. 61 RS / 8 Tact / 7 Rng (tank; thanks to Muspel for the build, though I'm not geared up enough to utilize this atm)
    4. 61 Phys / 10 Sab / 4 RS (ST healing)
    5. 61 MM / 11 Rng / 4 NB (ST ranged DPS)
    6. 61 NB / 11 Rng / 4 RS (ST/AOE melee/ranged DPS)
    7. 61 Sin / 11 Rng / 4 RS (ST melee)
    8. 44 Phys / 32 Tact / 0 RS (AOE healing; thanks for Nynja for the build, though I slightly modified it for the point in Adrenaline Shot)

As of now I do a lot of PvPing, though I realize I don't really have a lot of creative specs on hand. My builds are currently designed around their maximum DPS/healing outputs with only a few utilities (as with putting points into RS instead of NB for Shadow Shift), but I've learned to make good use of them in PvP situations regardless.

For one, are there any PvP builds that I should add (considering I have another role slot on hand)?

Considering that I'm also starting to get into raid content (having geared myself solely through PvP), what other builds should I know in case my group needs a particular build from a rogue?

For now, these are what I am considering to fill that extra role slot:

1. 38 NB / 38 Sin / 0 RS (could someone clarify what justifies this build over a 61 assassin build, considering how popular it is?)
    2. 61 BD (I'm not quite sure how much 61 BD is utilized, though I have seen through some posts that it shines in certain PvE instances)
    3. Tactman (I'm not quite sure what the optimal point distribution for this build is at the moment, and again what justifies this build over a Sab build)
    4. Nightbard (I've only heard about this and its use in PvP, though to what extent this is helpful over a 61-point variant of bard instead of going full-DPS is questionable to me)

In any case, would love to see what y'all have to share. Thanks! c:
    Last edited by Wonski; 07-29-2015 at 12:35 AM.
    Wonskee@Deepwood - Dark Malice PvP Guide - Griefer PvP Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by paragonfury View Post
    wtf??? I simply asked for the ultimate one button tempest macro without both torrents, not a fricken story book u nerds.
    \_(ツ)_/

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Wonski View Post
    For now, these are what I am considering to fill that extra role slot:

1. 38 NB / 38 Sin / 0 RS (could someone clarify what justifies this build over a 61 assassin build, considering how popular it is?)
    2. 61 BD (I'm not quite sure how much 61 BD is utilized, though I have seen through some posts that it shines in certain PvE instances)
    3. Tactman (I'm not quite sure what the optimal point distribution for this build is at the moment, and again what justifies this build over a Sab build)
    4. Nightbard (I've only heard about this and its use in PvP, though to what extent this is helpful over a 61-point variant of bard instead of going full-DPS is questionable to me)

In any case, would love to see what y'all have to share. Thanks! c:
    Looks fine as is, as for your extra slots...
    1. 38/38 for places for full ST dps but frequent disconnect occurs (where 61sin might struggle). This spec is marginally useful since 61nb with ice zerker has very low skill cap and can compete with it's ST dps plus far better cleave, with better utilities, better movement buff, short cd CC break and a great defensive cooldown.
    Only thing 38/38 has going for it over 61nb post zerker is slightly higher ST dps and provide lethal poison for raid. It's also slightly more complicate to min/max than 61nb.

2. 61BD is generally pretty bad currently, it's mainly used for aoe on trash where trash die too fast for sab to deal dps. Sabs = the ultimate DoT aoe class, this means if mobs die within 20 seconds, Shamans Harbinger Reaver will put your AoE dps to shame...

3. Tactman is not very useful rightnow can't think of any current PvE content actually use this spec.

4. Nightbard is interesting in PvP that's about it. MM is plenty for pvp unless you like to dps while providing some buffs to your ally.

Out of the 4 imo only 38/38 is worth carrying currently (and I assume you dont have ice zerker yet). But couldn't hurt to pick up 61BD, maybe the DEV will learn how to balance and fix BD one day. Note Bladedancer does less ST dps than Marksman even tho BD is pretty much a pure melee soul... and 61nb can AoE just as well while also providing top tier ST dps with great disconnect fillers.

Plane Touched

Nb.sin is better than 61 sin IMO. From a dummy parse standpoint, you will never see the benefit of nb.sin over 61 sin, but in a raid setting it has several advantages.

1. 20m opener - since you opem with dm -> fs -> dtd, you can open from 20m and get damage on the target as close to pull as possible. Sin has a pure melee opening, and when you cannot start in melee range, you will have to delay until the boss is positioned.

2. Disconnects - This is pretty obvious. 61 sin is pretty useless when you are out of melee range.

3. Sub 30% execute - This is the HUGE difference, and will never show up on a dummy parse. This is where nb.sin pulls ahead. Especially in HK and the fights are very long. Sicaron is a 12 minute fight, so the sub 30% phase is over 3 minutes long!

Tl;Dr Nb.sin is more valuable in all current raid content than 61 sin. All of this is moot, since Draum Ra makes NB pull ahead of both.

NMT T1: Cleared
    NMT T2: 10/11 HK | 4/4 iGP HM

Rift Disciple

BD is one of the more fun specs to play so it unfortunately suffers the "fun to play nerf" that RiftBlade and Warlock currently have. Though I wouldn't say its quite as under tuned as those.

Plane Walker

Thanks for the helpful and clear replies! I guess I will be adding NB/Sin to my set then, as I don't have the Ice Zerker proc that would make NB more of an asset to my raid. I'm hoping to get into MS and RoF soon, so I'll see how those go.

As for Bladedancer, I'm guessing I'll have to wait for an update to the soul, as it seems like a fun build to play and manage, though it seems like it's been given a similar treatment to other souls like Riftblade, which I heard is suffering quite a lot as well.
    Wonskee@Deepwood - Dark Malice PvP Guide - Griefer PvP Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by paragonfury View Post
    wtf??? I simply asked for the ultimate one button tempest macro without both torrents, not a fricken story book u nerds.
    \_(ツ)_/

In pvp I run 61 Sin/12 RS/3 MM or just my pve MM spec. But yeah nb/sin is a valuable spec to have in pve
    Last edited by Artewig; 07-29-2015 at 01:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse
    We are absolutely a service industry and you're only as good as your last contact with the customer.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonski View Post
    Thanks for the helpful and clear replies! I guess I will be adding NB/Sin to my set then, as I don't have the Ice Zerker proc that would make NB more of an asset to my raid. I'm hoping to get into MS and RoF soon, so I'll see how those go.

As for Bladedancer, I'm guessing I'll have to wait for an update to the soul, as it seems like a fun build to play and manage, though it seems like it's been given a similar treatment to other souls like Riftblade, which I heard is suffering quite a lot as well.
    NB/Sin is a must if raiding.I also find it most fun of all rogue specs.I dont think its good for pvp however.

Bladedancer - Dont give up on this spec, it could use a little bit of ST dps boost but still its awesome for trash, having it in NTE's and also for soloing any content.Unfortunately atm there are no encounters in raids where it could shine but that might change.I love keeping it in my arsenal.
    Its useless for pvp though ;P

Also if u are playing full assassin in pvp, maybe u should try something like http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#x/ykFlliGAGl4/t91u .This gives u extra teleport (2cp's) and some more endurance.As a 3rd soul u could go with BD for awesome Side Steps cooldown or Marksman for Swift shot and movement increase.You are gonna find camping flags realy easy with this

Quote Originally Posted by RandomUsername View Post
    NB/Sin is a must if raiding.I also find it most fun of all rogue specs.I dont think its good for pvp however.

Bladedancer - Dont give up on this spec, it could use a little bit of ST dps boost but still its awesome for trash, having it in NTE's and also for soloing any content.Unfortunately atm there are no encounters in raids where it could shine but that might change.I love keeping it in my arsenal.
    Its useless for pvp though ;P

Also if u are playing full assassin in pvp, maybe u should try something like http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#x/ykFlliGAGl4/t91u .This gives u extra teleport (2cp's) and some more endurance.As a 3rd soul u could go with BD for awesome Side Steps cooldown or Marksman for Swift shot and movement increase.You are gonna find camping flags realy easy with this
    Personally, I would take out a point from Great Fortitude and put it into Phantom Blow, but that's just me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse
    We are absolutely a service industry and you're only as good as your last contact with the customer.

Quote Originally Posted by Artewig View Post
    Personally, I would take out a point from Great Fortitude and put it into Phantom Blow, but that's just me.
    most under-rated 6 point investment in the game

Lithmygoober@deepwood
    Lithmygoo@deepwood

Revised you 7 spec, 4 points in to NB Its more better than 4 in to RS for top 61 assa build

Thumbs up NB/Bard in PvP

https://youtu.be/O0KLHmsHY-M

https://youtu.be/zqSiwgES3zA

Why? It's fun and the burst you get is something to bardhold!

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Orangu View Post
    most under-rated 6 point investment in the game
    I thought I was the only one using phantom blow...

NMT T1: Cleared
    NMT T2: 10/11 HK | 4/4 iGP HM

+ Reply to Thread